Mount Shavano Camping 5/5

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
rhinos00
14ers: 5 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Mount Shavano Camping 5/5

Post by rhinos00 »

Does anyone know of some good campsites around the the Blank Gulch TH? I'll probably be able to get to the TH by 6:30pm on Saturday evening.

I'm planning to camp out on Saturday night to get an early start on Sunday for the Shav/Tab combo to avoid possible bad weather. Current weather reports show 20% chance of precipitation, mostly sunny with high of 49 degrees on Sunday. Winds between 5-10 mph.

Thanks guys!
rhinos00
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Mount Shavano Camping 5/5

Post by rhinos00 »

Also, does anyone know of a cool restaurant/bar to hit up on the way back to Denver from that area? Perhaps one with a good selection of microbrews?
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

rhinos00 wrote:Does anyone know of some good campsites around the the Blank Gulch TH? I'll probably be able to get to the TH by 6:30pm on Saturday evening.

I'm planning to camp out on Saturday night to get an early start on Sunday for the Shav/Tab combo to avoid possible bad weather. Current weather reports show 20% chance of precipitation, mostly sunny with high of 49 degrees on Sunday. Winds between 5-10 mph.

Thanks guys!
There is dispersed camping in the meadow along the road, just after passing the TH.
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
carnegie
Trip Reports (0)

Post by carnegie »

I can't tell from your post if you're taking 285 or going up to Leadville, then taking I-70. But, If you're planning on sticking around Salida afterwards, Amicas has a good restaurant and brewery. Bring a growler or two if you want leftovers.
rhinos00
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rhinos00 »

carnegie wrote:I can't tell from your post if you're taking 285 or going up to Leadville, then taking I-70. But, If you're planning on sticking around Salida afterwards, Amicas has a good restaurant and brewery. Bring a growler or two if you want leftovers.
Thanks for the heads up! More than likely I'll be taking 285. More concerning however is the microburst recently reported on the "current peak conditions" for Mount Shavano...
rhinos00
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rhinos00 »

Does anyone have some recommendations for a backup plan in case Shavano doesn't work out? I don't mind having to navigate through fallen trees, but my wife might not be up to the task.

Antero looks like it has similar weather conditions for Sunday and has some camping sites close by, but there is no updates on current conditions. Really looking for something that can be done in boots.
flintster
14ers: 45 
13ers: 23
Trip Reports (0)

Post by flintster »

rhinos00 wrote:Does anyone know of some good campsites around the the Blank Gulch TH? I'll probably be able to get to the TH by 6:30pm on Saturday evening.

Thanks guys!
ya, dispersed camping .25 mile past the trailhead on the road. Huge open meadow - we camped there.

Hit Eddyline Brewery in Buena Vista on your way back. Never a bad choice, good microbrews.
kiliclimber7_17_02
14ers: 58 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by kiliclimber7_17_02 »

There are a lot of places to camp. Are you going to climb the Angel? If so its important to pay attention to the route. Easy to get to the Angel, not as easy to get back to the main trail. Antero is a long trip unless you can get up the 4WD road.
rhinos00
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rhinos00 »

kiliclimber7_17_02 wrote:There are a lot of places to camp. Are you going to climb the Angel? If so its important to pay attention to the route. Easy to get to the Angel, not as easy to get back to the main trail. Antero is a long trip unless you can get up the 4WD road.
Looks like I will be doing Shavano early Sunday morning. I was able to track down a GPS, so I'm much more comfortable navigating through the fallen trees, especially since I'm bringing my wife along. As far as which route I'm taking, I originally planned on doing the standard route via the east slope. However it seems like Angel is the more popular choice...
zdero1
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 85 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by zdero1 »

rhinos00 wrote:Also, does anyone know of a cool restaurant/bar to hit up on the way back to Denver from that area? Perhaps one with a good selection of microbrews?
Do NOT go to The Happy Cooker in Georgetown. Ever see "Restaurant Impossible?" That place should be on there. Lots of great placed in Idaho
Springs like BeauJeau's OR, as is my tradition, Carl's Jr. for the guac turkey burgers, fries, and a diet coke that's too big for your cupholder.

Swinging by Black Hawk, playing some blackjack, and eating at the Lodge buffet is something I may have to do this year. Hope they let in stinky climbers!
flintster
14ers: 45 
13ers: 23
Trip Reports (0)

Post by flintster »

idaho springs is not on the way back from salida....
tyler_herbst
14ers: 25 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tyler_herbst »

Definitely hit up Eddyline in Buena Vista. Awesome place to drink a few beers after you tackle of 14ers.