Sunlight Spire Poll

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

Would it be nice to have Sunlight Spire be considered a 14'er?

Yes! It would be nice if one of the 14'ers required technical climbing, and make completion of the 14ers more meaningful!
23%
Yes, because if some list include North Maroon and El Diente, Sunlight should be included.
15%
No, because it would make climbing the 14'ers too hard for most people.
6%
No, because the 300 feet rule should be set in stone, and eliminates other peaks such as North Maroon and El Diente as well.
24%
I really don't care either way.
32%

Total votes: 386
TK
14ers: 17 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TK »

In case you don't know, the 14ers list has been revised many times, whenever someone goes out to do another survey. I started climbing with a list of 55 (including Challenger), and that's the list I'm sticking with. Historically, several peaks are out there that are currently considered ranked 13ers, but were at one time considered 14ers! Grizzly Peak (13,988), Mt. Hope (13,933), and Ice Mountain (13,951) were all "thought to be 14ers" at one point. I do not consider them 14ers, nor will I consider Sunlight Spire a 14er.

In a truly pure sense, we will never have accurate measurements of elevation. There are places in the world where sea level rises/falls as much as 25 feet depending on the time of day and phase of the moon! With this kind of fluctuation, there are 10 peaks that are +/-25 feet from 14k according to our measurements. Do we count all of them or none of them?

I say stick with the list that you have been referencing. One of the primary purposes of taking scientific measurements such as elevation in the first place is to CONTINUOUSLY revise and improve upon the knowledge that was available before the new measurements were taken. If this constant improvement is the goal of science, there will always be potential for a revision. I see climbing as more of a personal journey and a exploration than a scientific process. Therefore, I will work towards the goal that I started working towards, even if a new survey with some margin of error is not consistent with an old survey with some other margin of error.
MUni Rider
14ers: 51 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (20)

Re: Sunlight Spire Poll

Post by MUni Rider »

If Sunlight Spire does indeed eventually make it into the "offical" record books (and maps) as attaining 14,000 elevation status, then pretty soon afterward a robe/cable/chain ladder will somehow magically appear soon after. Or at least a connecting row of bolted holds. bet me.

Of course, this debate could easily be solved with a well placed stick of dynamite. :twisted: (The rock is already cracked, right?)

Also, I can't help but notice from it's pictures, especially Bill's pic, how this spire seems to be flipping us all the bird, as if you say: "Fu--You Biatches! You aint never gonna climb this one, suckez!

ps..... that bit about the dynamite was a JOKE. No hate mail please.
"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy course; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat." (Theodore Roosevelt)

"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit." (Edward Abbey)
JB
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (11)

Post by JB »

I put down "don't care", but really I think my answer is "no, for reasons not listed". We were up there over the 4th of July and I have to say I wasn't that impressed by the spire. I think others have already said it. It's really just a high point on a ridge. I guess from all the publicity it gets on this site I was expecting this towering ominous looking thing, but really it would be easy to climb the peak most of the way and then you're left with a relatively short technical section just to touch the top of a block of rock. I imagine if it were counted on the list, most people would climb up to the base of the actual spire, tap it, and call it climbed.
jeffro
14ers: 56 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by jeffro »

I voted "I don't care" because I don't. We all have our own personal lists on which to add check marks and our own personal lists which we avoid.
Even before I knew it was a 5.10 rock pitch I didn't plan on climbing it.
As soon as I heard it was a 5.10 pitch at or near 14,000 feet, I wanted to climb it. Kind of like the Diamond on Longs. I am getting old, though.
the sane thing do to would be to put in 3 or 4 good bolts like a sport climb would have
There is absolutely no need for bolts on that climb. It is a perfect hand crack and easily protected with traditional gear. Here is another picture...

I think bolting that route would be a travesty. Just my very humble opinion.

Jeff

edit: I just realized this was a 2 year old topic resurrected today...
Climb what you love and love what you climb!!
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Post by Chicago Transplant »

After being up that way a few weeks ago, I actually think Needle Ridge and Twin Thumbs (both named, unranked 13ers) are more impressive and if I was making the effort to bring the rope and gear up that basin, it would be for those. :D
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day
CO Native
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (50)

Post by CO Native »

Um, that would take tons of rocks. It's a 30 foot spire on top of a ridge.

Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com
davebobk47
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 130 1 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by davebobk47 »

What's the width on that crack? Good size for a hand jam? That would be a fun climb.
"Mountains are not stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve. They are the cathedrals where I practice my religion." -Anatoli Boukreev
Tory Wells
14ers: 46 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Tory Wells »

49ersRule wrote:http://www.summitpost.org/view_object.p ... _id=357639

Check out this photo. All you really need to do is pile up a few more rocks on the west and you're not looking at a 5.10 to gain the top any more.

It does look like a really fun climb though.
If you look at the last photo in that sequence, you'll see that what you are proposing is not feasable.
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach
davebobk47
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 130 1 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by davebobk47 »

davebobk47 wrote:What's the width on that crack? Good size for a hand jam? That would be a fun climb.
Okay, 1-3 inches, answered my own question...
"Mountains are not stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve. They are the cathedrals where I practice my religion." -Anatoli Boukreev
cftbq
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (32)

Re:

Post by cftbq »

Chicago Transplant wrote:I voted no because my goal is the centennials and I never had Sunlight Spire on the list in the first place. Even before I knew it was a 5.10 rock pitch I didn't plan on climbing it. Basically I am one of those "300' rule people". I don't count N Maroon, El Diente, Cameron, N Eolus, Conundrum, S Elbert, NE Longs, Random bump on the ridge #27, etc. I think there needs to be a cut off somewhere and 300' seems to be the accepted standard. This doesn't mean I won't ever climb it or any other false summit for that matter. I have climbed several "unranked" peaks and will continue to do so, I'm sure N Maroon will be a great climb when I do it, it just doesn't count on my list :wink:
I pretty much agree, although I do care about fourteeners as fourteeners. I generally go by the 300-foot rule, but I am willing to make exceptions for both N. Maroon and El Diente, because they are both spectacular and difficult, and because there is now a well-established tradition of including them. They round out the list of "54," which, for better or worse, is the most widely quoted consensus number. I don't count Challenger (even though I climbed and am glad I did), because it lacks sufficient horizontal separation from its parent summit; I like half a mile. As to the others, I fully agree: I treat them all as "extra credit."
As to Sunlight Spire in particular, it's a relief that it's really unranked, since I know I cannot climb it. (Sure would if I could, though!) That's why I picked option #3. If its rise were close to 300 feet, I'd be much more inclined to consider it as possibly an "official" fourteener, but it's a long way short. North Massive is much closer. Sunlight Spire is, however, a truly spectacular climb. It's well worth doing if you can, and very worthy of a name.
I have been to the mountaintop, and I have seen the force
and the power that animates the universe. That may not
match up with your anthropomorphic or teleological idea of
what "god" is, but it's good enough for me.
12ersRule
14ers: 58 
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

If you look at the last photo in that sequence, you'll see that what you are proposing is not feasable.
Dang, it looked like only about a 20 foot difference in the link to the photo I posted. Yeah, I agree. That's a lot of rock!
Daniel Trugman
14ers: 57 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Daniel Trugman »

jeffro wrote:There is absolutely no need for bolts on that climb
Absolutely. Bolting it in the name of safety would not only be a major shame because of the awesome pro available in that crack, but would actually make the climb much more dangerous. I don't consider myself a good rock climber, but I can lead 5.10a sport for sure, but no way am I leading 5.10a trad at 14000 ft, at least for now. Some up-and coming sport climbers might decide to put this one on their tick list and have no idea what they were getting themselves into. Not that this line is gonna get bolted anytime soon, but it would be a horrible mistake to do it.
"When mountains speak, wise men listen."
-- John Muir