Sunlight Spire Poll

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

Would it be nice to have Sunlight Spire be considered a 14'er?

Yes! It would be nice if one of the 14'ers required technical climbing, and make completion of the 14ers more meaningful!
23%
Yes, because if some list include North Maroon and El Diente, Sunlight should be included.
15%
No, because it would make climbing the 14'ers too hard for most people.
6%
No, because the 300 feet rule should be set in stone, and eliminates other peaks such as North Maroon and El Diente as well.
24%
I really don't care either way.
32%

Total votes: 386
cbauer10
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Sunlight Spire Poll

Post by cbauer10 »

Oman wrote:Isn't bolting in a federal wilderness area verboten?
It's not that the bolts can't be there, it's that the drill to put the bolts in cannot be operated in a wilderness area. But yes it would be a shame to bolt a route up the spire.

I hope to climb it someday, but it will be because I want to, not because it is on a list.
jeffro
14ers: 56 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by jeffro »

Jeff - what were the feet like for the part you climbed and what you could see above?
Feet were fine up to where I am in the picture posted above. Before getting into the crack, it’s really no harder than 5.7ish and only that difficulty for 20 to 30 feet or so.

The crack itself is another story. Realize that this crack splits a clean face. The only way to climb it free is to jam with both hands and feet. Realize also that it does overhang a few degrees past vertical, so your jamming must be solid.

This is sustained hand jamming and foot jamming for 45 slightly overhanging feet.

Many climbers who have led 5.10 might be tempted to have a go at this. I would say make sure you are proficient and in practice specifically at trad crack climbing at that grade. Climbing it on direct aid would be a much different story…I’ll not go in to that.

For those who haven’t seen it, here is a link to my trip report.

Jeff
Climb what you love and love what you climb!!
Daniel Trugman
14ers: 57 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Daniel Trugman »

KeithK wrote:Nah, is a cool thread to resurrect... better than the 637th post asking about the status of the Grays Trailhead. I think Bill should set up a filter that automatically deletes any new thread on that topic! :P
Now that you mention it, what IS the status of the Gray's trailhead? :D
"When mountains speak, wise men listen."
-- John Muir
skier25
14ers: 44  10  1 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (10)

Post by skier25 »

I resurrect this thread, because I want to climb Sunlight SPIRE!!! :shock:
I get acute mountain sickness when I am away from the mountains.
wildlobo71
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 88
Trip Reports (3)

Post by wildlobo71 »

Daniel Trugman wrote:
Now that you mention it, what IS the status of the Gray's trailhead? :D
It's still there, as ugly as ever.
Bill W.

Time for the next great losing streak to begin.
#forcedrefocus
Salient
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Salient »

Resurrecting this thread to see how opinions have changed a decade later.
Be the best you that you can be.
cedica
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cedica »

tallgrass_prairie.jpg
tallgrass_prairie.jpg (35.84 KiB) Viewed 3210 times
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

CaptCO wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:54 pm What happened to the guy who installed a bolt onto spire?
He's still around, but doesn't post under the same name in the forums. He climbed Hoosier Ridge with us on New Years Day this year.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Scott P
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Dang, I can't believe it has been 15 years since I posted this thread. I had just turned 31 when the thread was posted. The thread reminds me of some of the old posters who have since moved on and reminded me that I miss them.
JTOlson26
14ers: 20 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by JTOlson26 »

Scott P wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:40 pm Dang, I can't believe it has been 15 years since I posted this thread. I had just turned 31 when the thread was posted. The thread reminds me of some of the old posters who have since moved on and reminded me that I miss them.
It's funny you say that, Scott. I first joined in the late summer of 2006 at 16 years old under a different name right around the time you posted this thread. Now I"M 31, and while I didn't personally know many of the old posters, I felt like I knew them from the hours and hours of time I spent on the site.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane!

JT
Salient
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Salient »

cedica wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:51 pm tallgrass_prairie.jpg
Tallgrass is the one who bolted the spire, correct?
Be the best you that you can be.
Scott P
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Salient wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:57 am
cedica wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:51 pm tallgrass_prairie.jpg
Tallgrass is the one who bolted the spire, correct?
Correct