Sunlight Spire Poll

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

Would it be nice to have Sunlight Spire be considered a 14'er?

Yes! It would be nice if one of the 14'ers required technical climbing, and make completion of the 14ers more meaningful!
72
24%
Yes, because if some list include North Maroon and El Diente, Sunlight should be included.
41
14%
No, because it would make climbing the 14'ers too hard for most people.
18
6%
No, because the 300 feet rule should be set in stone, and eliminates other peaks such as North Maroon and El Diente as well.
68
22%
I really don't care either way.
104
34%
 
Total votes: 303
User avatar
cbauer10
Posts: 926
Joined: 5/16/2006
14ers: 58 1
13ers: 9

Re: Sunlight Spire Poll

Post by cbauer10 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:10 pm

Oman wrote:Isn't bolting in a federal wilderness area verboten?
It's not that the bolts can't be there, it's that the drill to put the bolts in cannot be operated in a wilderness area. But yes it would be a shame to bolt a route up the spire.

I hope to climb it someday, but it will be because I want to, not because it is on a list.
User avatar
jeffro
Posts: 354
Joined: 7/7/2006
14ers: 56
Trip Reports (3)
Contact:

Re: Sunlight Spire Poll

Post by jeffro » Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:42 pm

Jeff - what were the feet like for the part you climbed and what you could see above?
Feet were fine up to where I am in the picture posted above. Before getting into the crack, it’s really no harder than 5.7ish and only that difficulty for 20 to 30 feet or so.

The crack itself is another story. Realize that this crack splits a clean face. The only way to climb it free is to jam with both hands and feet. Realize also that it does overhang a few degrees past vertical, so your jamming must be solid.

This is sustained hand jamming and foot jamming for 45 slightly overhanging feet.

Many climbers who have led 5.10 might be tempted to have a go at this. I would say make sure you are proficient and in practice specifically at trad crack climbing at that grade. Climbing it on direct aid would be a much different story…I’ll not go in to that.

For those who haven’t seen it, here is a link to my trip report.

Jeff
Climb what you love and love what you climb!!
User avatar
Daniel Trugman
Posts: 310
Joined: 7/4/2006
14ers: 57
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (7)
Contact:

Re: Sunlight Spire Poll

Post by Daniel Trugman » Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:46 pm

KeithK wrote:Nah, is a cool thread to resurrect... better than the 637th post asking about the status of the Grays Trailhead. I think Bill should set up a filter that automatically deletes any new thread on that topic! :P
Now that you mention it, what IS the status of the Gray's trailhead? :D
"When mountains speak, wise men listen."
-- John Muir
User avatar
skier25
Posts: 1069
Joined: 6/12/2006
14ers: 43 10 1
Trip Reports (10)

Re: Sunlight Spire Poll

Post by skier25 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:15 pm

I resurrect this thread, because I want to climb Sunlight SPIRE!!! :shock:
I get acute mountain sickness when I am away from the mountains.
User avatar
wildlobo71
Posts: 2045
Joined: 4/1/2008
14ers: 58 5
13ers: 85
Trip Reports (3)
Contact:

Re: Sunlight Spire Poll

Post by wildlobo71 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:31 pm

Daniel Trugman wrote:
Now that you mention it, what IS the status of the Gray's trailhead? :D
It's still there, as ugly as ever.
Bill W.

Time for the next great losing streak to begin.
#forcedrefocus
User avatar
Salient
Posts: 69
Joined: 2/19/2021
14ers: List not added
Contact:

Re: Sunlight Spire Poll

Post by Salient » Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:30 pm

Resurrecting this thread to see how opinions have changed a decade later.
User avatar
cedica
Posts: 438
Joined: 6/25/2014
14ers: List not added

Re: Sunlight Spire Poll

Post by cedica » Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:51 pm

tallgrass_prairie.jpg
tallgrass_prairie.jpg (35.84 KiB) Viewed 729 times
User avatar
CaptCO
Posts: 1769
Joined: 7/14/2019
14ers: 58 14
13ers: 45 1
Trip Reports (5)
Contact:

Re: Sunlight Spire Poll

Post by CaptCO » Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:54 pm

What happened to the guy who installed a bolt onto spire?
"It's a thing if you want it to be a thing. What others think of something is irrelevant." -OldSchool

Proof is in the progress, patience is essence; I’m crazy as a fox

"The future no longer belongs to my generation"

DM @Capt_Alec for nudes
User avatar
Scott P
Posts: 8311
Joined: 5/4/2005
14ers: 51 16
13ers: 41 13
Trip Reports (16)
Contact:

Re: Sunlight Spire Poll

Post by Scott P » Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:37 pm

CaptCO wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:54 pm
What happened to the guy who installed a bolt onto spire?
He's still around, but doesn't post under the same name in the forums. He climbed Hoosier Ridge with us on New Years Day this year.
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
User avatar
Scott P
Posts: 8311
Joined: 5/4/2005
14ers: 51 16
13ers: 41 13
Trip Reports (16)
Contact:

Re: Sunlight Spire Poll

Post by Scott P » Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:40 pm

Dang, I can't believe it has been 15 years since I posted this thread. I had just turned 31 when the thread was posted. The thread reminds me of some of the old posters who have since moved on and reminded me that I miss them.
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
User avatar
JTOlson26
Posts: 446
Joined: 4/21/2009
14ers: 17
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Sunlight Spire Poll

Post by JTOlson26 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:00 am

Scott P wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:40 pm
Dang, I can't believe it has been 15 years since I posted this thread. I had just turned 31 when the thread was posted. The thread reminds me of some of the old posters who have since moved on and reminded me that I miss them.
It's funny you say that, Scott. I first joined in the late summer of 2006 at 16 years old under a different name right around the time you posted this thread. Now I"M 31, and while I didn't personally know many of the old posters, I felt like I knew them from the hours and hours of time I spent on the site.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane!

JT
User avatar
Salient
Posts: 69
Joined: 2/19/2021
14ers: List not added
Contact:

Re: Sunlight Spire Poll

Post by Salient » Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:57 am

cedica wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:51 pm
tallgrass_prairie.jpg
Tallgrass is the one who bolted the spire, correct?
Post Reply