Climbing in June

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
jd119342
Trip Reports (0)

Climbing in June

Post by jd119342 »

I will be rafting in early to mid June this year. I would like to climb my 1st 14er. I am looking for something less technical. I will be in the Buena Vista area. What mountain is a good choice and what probable conditions/equipment would I need?
Nelson
14ers: 58  8  14 
Trip Reports (26)

Re: Climbing in June

Post by Nelson »

Harvard, Princeton and Yale are all beautiful mountains and not technical. Of these three I like Harvard the best.

I personally would not go anywhere at that time of year without crampons and an ice ax. You may not need them but if you do they make things 10 times safer.

Nelson
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

Good advice on the axe, although crampons might be optional. I'd add gaiters also as good to have that time of year, as you'll likely be crossing snowfields.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
HarknessHooligans
14ers: 50 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (15)

Post by HarknessHooligans »

2 years ago i climbed Mt. Yale on June 28. There was snow at the top but not too bad at all. It was my 2nd 14er at the time and I never felt like I needed an ax or spikes. Early June though is a different story and the weather varied from year to year. Just continually check out peoples trip reports so you will know how to be prepared. My favorite mountain though is Mt. Huron. It is gorgeous, more secluded, and has some amazing views of The Three Apostles. It is in Leadville though. But not too far of a drive from Vista.
gonzalj
14ers: 40  1 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (11)

Post by gonzalj »

I can agree on both Yale & Huron (Yale's a little longer assuming you make it to the 4wd trailhead for huron). Definitely not technical hikes and huron is absolutely georgeous (those views of the 3 apostles are spectacular).
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Post by Chicago Transplant »

Usually the stuff around BV melts pretty much 90-95% out by early June... Princeton, Yale, Shavano/Tabeguache and Antero should all be reasonably dry, gaitors and an ice axe probably all you would need. Crampons/spikes may be usefully if its really cold in the mornings for firm snow, buy usually there are steps already kicked on the standard routes through any snow sections. If need be, you can rent equipment from The Trailhead, that is the mountaineering store in the northern end of BV.

http://www.thetrailheadco.com/store/pc/ ... p?idpage=7
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day
kaiman
Trip Reports (10)

Post by kaiman »

jd119342 wrote:I will be rafting in early to mid June this year. I would like to climb my 1st 14er. I am looking for something less technical. I will be in the Buena Vista area. What mountain is a good choice and what probable conditions/equipment would I need?
All of the other posters ideas so far are good ones. Also, if you have a vehicle and don't mind driving north to Leadville, Mount Sherman would be another good choice. Except for a few snow patches and a cornice at the Sherman/Sheridan saddle it is usually pretty much melted out by June.

I climbed Belford/Oxford on the 14th of June in 2006 and there was very little snow that year, so that would be another possibility. Unfortunately, it is always hard to tell how much snow we will get this spring. Keep your eyes on the 14ers.com Trip Reports section as the time draws nearer to get a good idea of what the current beta for those routes is.

I would also agree with Jim Davies that crampons probably aren't necessary (at least on the peaks mentioned), but gators of some sort are a definite and an ice axe (or at least trekking poles) would be essential pieces of equipment.

Good luck and have fun!

kaiman
"I want to keep the mountains clean of racism, religion and politics. In the mountains this should play no role."

- Joe Stettner

"I haven't climbed Everest, skied to the poles, or sailed single-handed around the world. The goals I set out to accomplish aren't easily measured or quantified by world records or "firsts." The reasons I climb, and the climbs I do, are about more than distance or altitude, they are about breaking barriers within myself."

- Andy Kirkpatrick
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

Huron is a good starting mountain.

It has a 4WD trailhead two miles shorter than the sedan trailhead.

Chance of some snow above treeline until July 1.
Rcizzle
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Rcizzle »

I'm pretty sure the Alpine Loop Scenic Byway is plowed by Memorial day in the San Juans. Uncompahgre is a great 14er and there wasn't too much snow (still snow though) in mid June. Handies, Redcloud, and Sunshine are good too because of their fairly easy TH access following the opening of the ALSB.
Bad decisions make good stories.
LAW
14ers: 57  12  1 
13ers: 87 3 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by LAW »

Anything in the San Juan’s would be great but are a pretty long drive from BV. Yale is definitely one the best peaks in the Sawatch Range and a very easy/short paved drive from BV to the TH. On a clear day you can see 30 14'ers from Yales summit. Huron is maybe the best peak (my opinion) in the Sawatch, but a longer drive and as others mentioned a couple miles of 4wd (or at least high clearance depending on conditions) to reach the TH.