Handies via Ouray?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
paully
14ers: 56 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Handies via Ouray?

Post by paully »

Calling the route to Engineer Pass road from Ouray a "road" is an exercise in fiction. The South Colony Lakes road is a breeze in comparison.
Are you serious??? I haven't been up to Colony Lakes for a few years, but it was nasty when I went. I haven't been over Engineer Pass yet, but I understand that it is 'moderate', and that it's really no big deal with a 4WD vehicle with moderate clearance. Have I been lied to (by multiple sources)? I'm very interested in this because I'll be leaving for the area tomorrow morning.

Thanks
denvermikey
14ers: 51 
13ers: 166
Trip Reports (12)

Post by denvermikey »

Engineer Pass from 550 (Ouray) is more difficult than S Colony Lakes rd. You really should have a good clearance 4WD and while not required, 4-lo would help. Passable in most stock 4WD truck based vehicles (4Runners, Tacomas, Frontiers, Rangers, XTerras, etc). Even though the distance is maybe 3-4 times longer, it takes the same time to get to Las Animas Forks from Ouray by going down to Silverton via 550 and back up than it does to crawl through Engineer. If you enjoy the challenge of a rougher 4wd trail I would not avoid it all together, it's kind of a fun route. Just make sure you are prepared for a slow rough ride. We just chose to go the Silverton route because Engineer can wear you out and we didn't want that before our hike even started! :D

"Have I been lied to (by multiple sources)?"

btw....sorry to tell you this too but, the Easter Bunny isn't real either... :shock:
"Every man dies, not every man really lives" - William Wallace
"Because it's there" - George Mallory
"In the end it's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years" - Abraham Lincoln
"You only live once but if you do it right, once is enough" - Mae West
"Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world." - David McCullough Jr.
San Juan Ron
14ers: 39 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by San Juan Ron »

I would not recommend the road from Ouray to near Engineer Pass unless you are in an ATV. The road is slow, tedious, and requires very high clearance. I have done it several times in my Jeep, but would strongly recommend you drive down to Silverton via 550 and then drive up to Animas Forks where you could choose to go over Engineer or Cinnamon Passes. Both are 4wd but this is much easier IMO than the Ouray to Engineer Pass route. SJ Ron
"The mountains are calling and I must go" -- Muir
Matt
14ers: 58 
13ers: 208
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Matt »

With a Subaru you are much better off taking 550 down to Silverton and back up to Cinnamon Pass.
denvermikey wrote:btw....sorry to tell you this too but, the Easter Bunny isn't real either... :shock:
One of these statements has value. The other is simply bad advice.

OP, taking a Subaru over Cinnamon Pass would be a very difficult experience at best, and could leave you stuck up there with a broken car, a ruined trip, and a lot of angry people who have to put up with a very slow vehicle in their way, maybe even blocking the road if you break down. If having a good trip and making your summits is your goal, why risk it? Having driven over Cinnamon Pass in a Forester back in 2003, I can confidently state that only an ignorant (me--I had no idea what I was getting in to), overconfident, or stupid person would choose to do this. That was one of the most trying experiences I've had on a mountain road, and I'd never repeat it or recommend it to a friend or enemy.
Then again, you may be a remarkable driver with a Subie that's impervious to damage. Maybe the road's improved tremendously in the last year. I could be full of it.
My $.25

You might be served best by making the drive to Lake City, stoping in Gunnison along the way for Mario's Pizza (best in the high country, IMO), hitting the brewery, and then driving through Lake City. Good food, good beer, no risk to your vehicle, sanity, or summits.

BTW, with a 4x4, the Engineer Pass road is only difficult if:
1. You have a long or wide 4x4, like a full-size truck or hummer.
2. You have to pass someone driving a vehicle that doesn't belong there (see #1) because it's narrow.
3. You're afraid of heights.
4. You have little experience off-road.
Difficulty is relative, but even the first time I did this road years ago, it was much less sketchy than expected.
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List
gdthomas
Trip Reports (3)

Post by gdthomas »

3mtnlabbie wrote:We are planning a trip to the San Juans in two weeks and want to avoid Lake City (we did that last year)...

Can you get to Handies trailhead via Ouray?
If you're one of those people that needs to see for him/herself, rent a Jeep for a day and drive the many high mountain passes in the area. We did this a couple of weeks ago and it was a hoot. $175.00 per 24 hours for a lifted, 4-door, auto-transmission, Rubicon, with knobby tires. There's a whole subculture of 4-wheelers that drive these roads with ATV's and Jeeps. We drove from Ouray over Engineer Pass to Lake City, over Cinnamon Pass to Animas Forks, over California and Hurricane Passes to the Corkscrew, over Corkscrew Pass to 550, 550 South to the summit of Red Mountain Pass and up to Black Bear Pass summit (I wouldn't recommend driving the Telluride side of BB Pass unless you're an accomplished 4-wheeler) - all in about 8 hours and a half a tank of gas. The Jeep ate it up. If you don't want to go to Lake City, there's a turnoff to Animas Forks from the Engineer Pass Road before you reach the Pass - or you can drive to the Pass, then turn around and head back to the turnoff. It wouldn't hurt to have some 4-wheeling experience but the rental company only required a driver's license, proof of insurance and a pulse. You might even be able to parlay the rental with a climb. BTW, I saw no Suburus on this route with the exception of the road from Lake City to the Handies TH and 550. Del-Sur speaketh the truth.
paully
Trip Reports (1)

Post by paully »

You might be served best by making the drive to Lake City, stoping in Gunnison along the way for Mario's Pizza (best in the high country, IMO), hitting the brewery, and then driving through Lake City. Good food, good beer, no risk to your vehicle, sanity, or summits.
That's funny, our itinerary is to leave the city at 8:00, stop at Mario's Pizza in Gunnison for lunch (did some browsing of Online reviews, sounds great), head to Lake City (may have to shoehorn in the brewery - what brewery is it?) and get to our camp site at Castle Lake. Our camp site is on the Alpine Loop between Lake City and Cinnamon Pass. We are climbing Handies/Redcloud/Sunshine while we're there, then were planning to drive over Cinammon Pass and down through Ouray to Ridgway. Is this reasonable in an XTerra? Is Cinnamon as bad as Engineer?
Doug Shaw
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Doug Shaw »

You shouldn't have any problems on Cinnamon Pass in an Xterra, unless you're a complete tool of a 4WD driver :)
paully
Trip Reports (1)

Post by paully »

I'm a complete tool, but I'm pretty good behind the wheel.
Matt
13ers: 208
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Matt »

paully wrote:
That's funny, our itinerary is to leave the city at 8:00, stop at Mario's Pizza in Gunnison for lunch (did some browsing of Online reviews, sounds great), head to Lake City (may have to shoehorn in the brewery - what brewery is it?) and get to our camp site at Castle Lake. Our camp site is on the Alpine Loop between Lake City and Cinnamon Pass. We are climbing Handies/Redcloud/Sunshine while we're there, then were planning to drive over Cinammon Pass and down through Ouray to Ridgway. Is this reasonable in an XTerra? Is Cinnamon as bad as Engineer?
Paully, the Gunnison Brewery is half a block north off US50 (on your right) on the road to Crested Butte. Their beer is so-so, but they always have good guest taps.
Cinnamon Pass road is a piece of cake if you're in a 4x4 with low range. Yes, it's easier than Engineer, but neither is a real 4x4 road. Your Xterra will be more than enough. The real challenges on both those roads tend to come from other drivers, not the terrain. Subarus are not the only issue. For example, I once was blessed to see some dumbass Texan in a hummer H1 coming toward me on the Engineer Pass road, and was able to find a large pullout to let him by. It took him 15 minutes just to get to where I was, and I saw why--this vehicle was so wide that his tires were over the edge of the road in several places. Not even a motorcycle could get past that idiot, and I imagine he helped plenty of other people enjoy the fruits of his decision to drive the wrong vehicle up there. That kind of arrogance or stupidity is infuriating. Gapers in rental jeeps who are off road in the mountains for the first time ever can also be a pain.
Rant over.
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List
Mark A Steiner
14ers: 3 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mark A Steiner »

del_sur wrote:Cinnamon Pass road is a piece of cake if you're in a 4x4 with low range. Yes, it's easier than Engineer, but neither is a real 4x4 road. Your Xterra will be more than enough. The real challenges on both those roads tend to come from other drivers, not the terrain. Subarus are not the only issue. For example, I once was blessed to see some dumbass Texan in a hummer H1 coming toward me on the Engineer Pass road, and was able to find a large pullout to let him by. It took him 15 minutes just to get to where I was, and I saw why--this vehicle was so wide that his tires were over the edge of the road in several places. Not even a motorcycle could get past that idiot, and I imagine he helped plenty of other people enjoy the fruits of his decision to drive the wrong vehicle up there. That kind of arrogance or stupidity is infuriating. Gapers in rental jeeps who are off road in the mountains for the first time ever can also be a pain.
Rant over.
Del Sur's advice is well founded. In 2008 I made a choice not to take my 1995 Cherokee above American Basin to Cinnamon Pass. This vehicle is weary; beside it is the only one I have in Colorado. Travel back to Lakewood is long if your vehicle craters and you have only the Shoe Leather Express (or another sympathetic 4-wheeler) to return you to the next town while AAA tows the vehicle to the next town to get fixed - hopefully.

I was somewhat envious of the ATV's and quads in the area - they were having a great time no matter where they went.

Unless you have a vehicle or two to beat the daylights out of and make a point about whether to cross Cinnamon or Engineer Passes fine, but as Del Sur pointed out further up the thread, you can get a bunch of fellow 4X4 folks angry at you when stupidity is replaced by blatant ignorance. Hope you (who will) enjoy these places because I won't be kicking around up there this year. Be safe.
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content - Paul the Apostle.
Like it or not, I am a slow driver. Putt ... putt ... putt ...
Good day.
paully
Trip Reports (1)

Post by paully »

Unless you have a vehicle or two to beat the daylights out of and make a point about whether to cross Cinnamon or Engineer Passes fine, but as Del Sur pointed out further up the thread, you can get a bunch of fellow 4X4 folks angry at you when stupidity is replaced by blatant ignorance. Hope you (who will) enjoy these places because I won't be kicking around up there this year. Be safe.
So are you saying take my XTerra (which I don't necessarily want to 'beat up') over Cinnamon Pass? Or are you saying not to? I think you're giving me the two thumbs up, but I wanna make sure.
highpilgrim
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

I'm one of the idiots that have driven my Subaru over Cinnamon without loss of life or limb. Or damage to the car. It was not always pleasant and I won't do it again in that car. I had been over it in a Nissan 4wd p/u and an old fj so I thought I could manage it with the subi. I would not dream of taking it over Engineer which I think is the worse of the two by far.

your xterra will (should, things happen :) ) make it over Cinnamon without difficulty.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase