Blanca,Little Bear Conditions

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
skystrings
14ers: 11 
Trip Reports (1)

Blanca,Little Bear Conditions

Post by skystrings »

Does anyone have any recent data on conditions for the Blanca Massive area? We are planning on climbing Blanca, Ellingwood and possible Little Bear or Lindsey the weekend of the 26th. We are planning on camping at Lake Como and are wondering what to expect for road conditions as well as possible snow. I would think that by now crampons wouldn't be needed and most snow can be avoided. Can anyone confirm?
"Life is what happens to you while your busy making other plans" - John Lennon
unclegar
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (9)

Re: Blanca,Little Bear Conditions

Post by unclegar »

Here is a shot of Ellingwood/Blanca on 6/4/10 but it sounds like it has possibly melted quite a bit (see Little Bear thread). As for the road... :shock: No snow, but plan on walking if you're talking about Lake Como Rd. unless you have a modified vehicle.
Ellingwood and Blanca
Ellingwood and Blanca
Ellingwood Blanca.JPG (39.86 KiB) Viewed 2026 times
...the mountain peaks belong to Him. -- PS 95:4

“All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.”
― Charles M. Schulz
skystrings
14ers: 11 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by skystrings »

This is the info we are looking for. Does anyone have any info on access to Lindsey or Little Bear? I read a previous trip report about the creek crossing situation on Lindsey. Any additional information on that?
"Life is what happens to you while your busy making other plans" - John Lennon
unclegar
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (9)

Post by unclegar »

Little Bear access would normally be from Como Rd too. The previous pic was from the summit of LB. Lindsey is accessed from another TH and I don't know about that one. I definitely needed crampons on 06/04 but as I mentioned it sounds like it has melted a lot. There was also definitely a lot of snow still on Ellingwood and Blanca when I was there but I didn't actually go over there so my previous pic was the best I can do to show the snow (especially on Ellingwood). The Blanca route, I believe, would be on the L side of the ridge to Blanca in the pic. So this didn't show it, but I think it was similar to the coverage you see on Ellingwood.

Just noticed a new report that has basically the same pic in it that I took. That will show you how much the snow has melted. Here is the link to the report. I haven't had a chance to read it yet, but you might want to before you go.
http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=8160
...the mountain peaks belong to Him. -- PS 95:4

“All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.”
― Charles M. Schulz
jf32
14ers: 58  2 
Trip Reports (13)

Post by jf32 »

Blanca from lake Como could be done easily by avoiding snow. Lindsey from Lily lakes/Huerfano doesn't require snow shoes or crampons if you take the nw ridge - not sure about the std route gully as no one in my group ascended it (on Sat) and the cloud cover/fog prevented me from getting a view of it. The creek crossing on Lindsey did get a boot or 2 wet or 2 as it was pretty high.

Here's a pic of Ellingwood from Blanca as of yesterday 6/14:
Attachments
Eliingwood 6-14.jpg
Eliingwood 6-14.jpg (114.72 KiB) Viewed 1839 times
When you come to a fork in the road take it
HikerDan75
14ers: 39  2 
13ers: 36
Trip Reports (0)

Blanca, Lake Como Conditions

Post by HikerDan75 »

Does anyone know the Lake Como conditions? Also, are there any good hammock trees or is it a tent only? Trying to save weight any way I can.

Thank you for any help!
Nil sine Numine
Wentzl
14ers: 58  20 
13ers: 55
Trip Reports (49)

Post by Wentzl »

Wow! dusting off an 11 year old thread. Some sort of record for that?

There are trees. You can sling a hammock.
Shorter of Breath and One Day Closer . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZXKgl8turY

"Social Justice" = Injustice
HikerDan75
Trip Reports (0)

Post by HikerDan75 »

Thank you. Reduce reuse and recycle on the threads. :-D
Nil sine Numine
nmjameswilson
14ers: 58 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nmjameswilson »

We were up there two weeks ago and there is no snow. The road is still rough but you can part around 9700 feet if you have 4x4 as I did in my Tundra. There are plenty of trees to hang a hammock.
HikerDan75
Trip Reports (0)

Post by HikerDan75 »

Thank you. Any word of Bears in the area by chance?
Nil sine Numine
swadmin
14ers: 58  10 
13ers: 174 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by swadmin »

HikerDan75 wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:32 pm Thank you. Any word of Bears in the area by chance?
We camped at the lake Sunday night, no sign of bear.