Sneffels and/or Blaine Basin beta

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Yog
14ers:summits58 winter4 
13ers:summits54 
Trip Reports (8)

Sneffels and/or Blaine Basin beta

Post by Yog » Tue May 25, 2010 10:32 am

Anyone have any information or pictures of Sneffels (zoomed in to the top of the Snake would be great! :lol: ) or Blaine Basin conditions. Appreciate it!
. . .Now, after the hours of torment . . . I have nothing more to do than breathe . . .I am nothing more than a single, narrow, gasping lung, floating over the mists and the summits.
-Reinhold Messner
lordhelmut
14ers:summits50 ski21 winter5 
13ers:summits292 ski66 winter3 
Trip Reports (73)

Re: Sneffels and/or Blaine Basin beta

Post by lordhelmut » Tue May 25, 2010 10:40 am

Mark,

I don't have any pictures of the Snake itself, but as we were headed around rt.62 at the Ralph Lauren Ranch, we had a pretty clear view. It was looking really good, I know some people had skied it over the weekend. Seekanddestroy99 on this site was up there, I'm pretty sure from that side, might want to shoot him a PM.
d_baker
14ers:summits58 winter15 
13ers:summits277 winter9 
Trip Reports (57)

Post by d_baker » Tue May 25, 2010 10:47 am

See here for Bilk info, scroll down to see PKR's response....
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=24716

Edit:duh, I read this quick and thought Blaine was Bilk. Sorry.
Yog
14ers:summits58 winter4 
13ers:summits54 
Trip Reports (8)

Post by Yog » Tue May 25, 2010 3:33 pm

Brian - thanks for the information!

Darren - Was great to meet you this past weekend!

What are you guys up to for Mem Wknd?
. . .Now, after the hours of torment . . . I have nothing more to do than breathe . . .I am nothing more than a single, narrow, gasping lung, floating over the mists and the summits.
-Reinhold Messner
seekanddestroy99
14ers:summits40 ski8 winter2 
13ers:summits13 ski1 
Trip Reports (10)

Post by seekanddestroy99 » Tue May 25, 2010 4:37 pm

Yog- PM Sent.

For everyone else, here is the PM I sent Yog:

East Dallas Creek road is dry all the way to the Blaine Basin intersection (which is immediately after crossing the second stream, we missed it and got lost, but it was at night, so you know...). From there, there is a big sign that says "Blaine Basin" and there was a patch of snow here. From the sign, there is patchy snow until you cross the creek the second time from the Blaine Basin sign (making 4 stream crossings total, 3 of which are just on East Dallas Creek). After the 4th crossing (on two large logs) it was pretty much snow all the way up. East Dallas Creek trail is marked with orange stringers tied in the trees, but you'll come up to a sign that says "Blaine Basin 1 mile" and an arrow pointing right. We had to do some major bushwhacking because it's all snow and no trail markers, but we did figure it out all the way up to Blaine Basin, which is snowy but has running water if you need to filter a refill. It took about 2 and a half hours to make it to the Basin.

POV of skiing the Snake on 5/22/10