More Rain Over the Weekend

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

More Rain Over the Weekend

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

Just a heads-up about the upcoming weekend forecast. Rain (and possibly snow) is forecasted for high elevations throughout much of Colorado.

Many areas have received a lot of rain lately and this added moisture will make for increased difficulty on routes due to wet rock and soaked/unstable terrain. If you head out and are lucky enough to get a window for a summit, expect slippery conditions.
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
aholle88
14ers: 57  24  26 
13ers: 300 29 3
Trip Reports (1)

Re: ⚠️More Rain Over the Weekend

Post by aholle88 »

Also check CDOT for road closures. There’s been a lot of mudslides/rockslides causing closures all over the state every week. Indy, Glenwood, Red Mtn, bridal veil area to name a few have all been closed at some points already this summer, be prepared for alternative routes and driving longer than you anticipate.

And just another reminder about the LV100 this weekend. Avoid the Winfield area and Twin Lakes if you can, those mountains will always be there, and this is not the best weekend for them. If you are there, expect delays, congestion, and be respectful as those folks running will be 50+ miles into their day.
nmjameswilson
14ers: 58 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nmjameswilson »

aholle88 wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 6:14 am Also check CDOT for road closures. There’s been a lot of mudslides/rockslides causing closures all over the state every week. Indy, Glenwood, Red Mtn, bridal veil area to name a few have all been closed at some points already this summer, be prepared for alternative routes and driving longer than you anticipate.
Good point on the road conditions. We had issues when we went from Carbondale to Marble for Snowmass a couple weeks ago.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Yes. I was supposed to do the Crestone Traverse this weekend, but cancelled. It's not worth the risk.

The good news is that there's always some hike or peak that can be done in bad weather without much risk. I just change the destination when the weather is bad. This weekend, I'm thinking of a nice 10er where the forecast isn't terrible.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
terribletigzy
14ers: 32 
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (1)

Post by terribletigzy »

Thanks for the reminder Bill. I already cancelled my weekend plans and will instead be working on some project at home :( Fingers crossed for a few more weeks of summer weather after this weekend.
Live a Fuller Life
jrbren_vt
14ers: 14 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (2)

Post by jrbren_vt »

I think there has already been a thread on this but this is frustrating. I took yesterday off and climbed Antero since this weekend is not looking that good. But Sunday does not look that bad either according to https://www.mountain-forecast.com/peaks ... casts/4327 . On noaa it looks terrible : https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.p ... v-voHbMLuo Wunderground somewhere in between. I have sat out multiple weekends this summer due to gloomy forecasts only to have the weather turn out to be pretty nice (around COS anyway), and read others trip reports on Monday about climbs in glorious weather. I think Scott P has the right idea. Do something less committing that has bail out options.
Best Regards
wineguy
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 143
Trip Reports (7)

Post by wineguy »

Thanks Bill, your guidance and advice is always appreciated.
"Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs. I am haunted by waters." - Norman Maclean
Gulf_Coast_Hiker
14ers: 14 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Gulf_Coast_Hiker »

I did Mt Massive today and was going to try Shavano and Tabeguache Saturday but not liking the forecast. Anything interesting I could do in the Salida area instead?
Marcos
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Marcos »

Gulf_Coast_Hiker wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 6:27 pm I did Mt Massive today and was going to try Shavano and Tabeguache Saturday but not liking the forecast. Anything interesting I could do in the Salida area instead?
Pretty wet here in Salida. Mt. Princeton Hot Springs is nice on a rainy day. I think all pools are open through Labor Day. There's also the indoor hot springs in town.

I'm heading to the office today to bank some hours for when the weather dries out later this week : )
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Scott P wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:49 am I just change the destination when the weather is bad. This weekend, I'm thinking of a nice 10er where the forecast isn't terrible.
That was plan B, but on our way there, the highway was closed due to flooding and we had to go somewhere else. Sometimes you need a plan C. When the highway was closed, we found some 9ers to backpack to and climb. Flexibility is key.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Re: More Rain Over the Weekend

Post by peter303 »

Fresh snow visible on Pikes Peak Sunday.

As Game of Thrones says "Winter is Coming".
juanmoray
Trip Reports (0)

Re: More Rain Over the Weekend

Post by juanmoray »

Looks like the weather is going to be decent Tuesday. Was thinking about car camping on the Shav/Tab trailhead and getting an early start on Tuesday. Although it looks like it may snow above tree line Monday and Overnight. I have 4WD and am wondering what County Road 252 is like right now. That and any trail condition reports for Shav/Tab would be much appreciated.

I did the Triple Bypass yesterday and the weather was wild everywhere. Hailing on the Loveland descent. Kind of got the feeling the Sawatch got dumped on but haven’t been able to confirm. Especially as it relates to a Shav/Tab summit attempt early Tuesday AM.