Boots or shoes?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

Boots or shoes?

Boots
33%
Trailrunners/approach shoes
67%

Total votes: 199
jibler
14ers: 13 
13ers: 35
Trip Reports (18)

Re: Boots or shoes?

Post by jibler »

Keep looking up - Jack Horkheimer
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

I use them all, my Asolo boots when backpacking, Asics trail runners for easy hikes, 5.10 tennies approach shoes for 3rd-low 5th, and la sportivas for technical climbs.
Alpine Guy
14ers: 40 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Alpine Guy »

I really enjoyed hiking in La Sportiva low-tops for several years. I rolled my ankle maybe once or twice a year but it never caused any real problems. Until 5 weeks ago. I rolled my ankle coming down from Sneffels and this time heard a distinct snap. Long story short I broke some part of my lower fibula - no surgery required but I've been wearing one of those removable ortho boots for 5 weeks. Hopefully I get released from the boot next week before my knee or hip give out on me.

If my fall had happened further up above the jeep road it probably would have required a rescue and I just can't risk that. So now I'll likely be switching back to boots with full ankle support. But that's ok - I started hiking 14ers in Onesport Moraines years ago and it didn't seem all that bad.
Roll No Rocks
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (39)

Post by justiner »

Ooooooh reviving an old thread. I'm Team Trailrunners Unless I Really Need Something Else, and I've stretched that out quite a bit. The only time I've gotten in boots this year is commuting on bike in 2' of snow, or when I'm doing trail work and don't want to take a pick axe into my fourth metatarsal.

I'm a proponent of letting the ankle do it's job of flexing and extending - if it can't do that, you're ultimately going to put yourself at risk for knee - or even hip problems down the road. If you don't have healthy ankles, looking into rehabbing them if you haven't already (and yes I'm sympathetic to those with wonky genetics, nagging injuries, all that. You do what you gotta do). Putting them into boots will only get you so far and losing the ability for the ankle to express its ankle-ness. Just moving around indoors without any shoes on what so ever is a great start at rehabbing. Balancing on one foot while waiting in line - lots of little things you can do that don't take much time as well.

Mountaineering boots are big stiff things for a few reason, but it's not to enhance walkability. Having a stiff platform to stand on while you're stuck into the ice via a crampon being one; ultimate warmth is another. But even now there's many new school hybrid boots with walking modes that give you that, as well as something more comfy to walk in, letting the ankle do its thing, if not minimally. Protection around the top of the trailrunner is an issue, but some trailrunners are better than others, and a bit of Seam Grip applied liberally in key areas can really help beef up an upper without adding too much additional weight.
acorredor60
Trip Reports (0)

Post by acorredor60 »

I use trail runners, but occasionally carry approach shoes that I switch into for class 4 and low class 5 climbs.
E_A_Marcus_949
14ers: 58 
13ers: 56
Trip Reports (7)

Post by E_A_Marcus_949 »

Boots for backpacking. I have strong ankles, but I like the ankle protection from the boulders I inevitably hit my ankles on.
I just discovered the wonders of approach shoes this years on harder terrain like KC North Ridge and Cap. Totally worth the extra backpacking weight.
speleo
14ers: 3 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by speleo »

JohnnyLeadville
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JohnnyLeadville »

For any serious hike I almost always wear boots. I have mid-ankle Gore Tex boots for slush that are super comfortable but not as much support as real hiking boots.
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (39)

Post by justiner »

speleo wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:12 pm A relevant article from 2015: https://mtntactical.com/knowledge/1-pou ... umb-rules/.
1 Pound On Your Foot Equals 5 Pounds On Your Back: The 5 Thumb Rules of Hiking
Turns out this is only true (and "true" being a strong word), if you're RUNNING in the boots,

dr_j
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (4)

Post by dr_j »

So, in the past couple of years, my choices have changed somewhat. I've mostly ditched the Chacos, finding them way too heavy, they have their place but the weight is a bit of a turn off. For the last two summer / fall hiking seasons, it's been about 90 % barefoot and the rest of the time I use Sportiva Guide TX approach shoes which resemble trail runners.

Mind you I don't really hike much in the winter, at least not in the Rockies. I use my mountaineering boots for stuff in continuous snow or on glaciers, as they have the heel notch for locking in crampons.
IG: jc_solitude
scvaughn
14ers: 43 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (2)

Post by scvaughn »

I've tried boots, trail runners, and approach shoes, and prefer approach shoes in most situations. In Summer conditions, I'm good up to low Class 5 in Scarpa Cruxes. If things are snowy, boots win.
ECF55
14ers: 7 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (7)

Post by ECF55 »

I used to be a "boots only" guy. Meindl Borneo was an old favorite. Sure, they're heavy, but they provide ankle support and foot protection and it increased the workout challenge.

However, as I started significantly increasing my hike distances along the AT (20+ mile sections), the boots just chewed up my feet and wore me out. I subsequently switched to a heavy waterproof hiking shoe with good arch support (Oboz Sawtooth) and it works really well for all but the coldest conditions. There was definitely a transition period where I had to strengthen my ankles and I remember getting wobbly on those initial longer hikes, but it's currently working really well.

Leukotape also protects my feet from overuse--that stuff is incredible!