Mount Lindsey Closure

Information on current and past 14er closures, usually due to private property issues.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
cedica
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Mount Lindsey Closure

Post by cedica »

CaptainSuburbia wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:08 pm Maybe the guy who recently fkt'd the 14ers can shed some light on how he gained access to Lindsey?
Either on foot, or in Joe's truck:
joe_camioneta.jpg
joe_camioneta.jpg (77.62 KiB) Viewed 2912 times
CaptainSuburbia
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 125 9
Trip Reports (44)

Post by CaptainSuburbia »

cedica wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:05 pm
CaptainSuburbia wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:08 pm Maybe the guy who recently fkt'd the 14ers can shed some light on how he gained access to Lindsey?
Either on foot, or in Joe's truck:
joe_camioneta.jpg
Joe Rey?
Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
Nothing drives people crazy like people drive people crazy.
Save Challenger Point
cedica
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cedica »

CaptainSuburbia wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:25 pm
cedica wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:05 pm Either on foot, or in Joe's truck:
joe_camioneta.jpg
Joe Rey?
That was intended to be tongue-in-cheek just for you: "During the filming of 'Straight to Hell', Joe Strummer made a trip to San Jose. He made the trip in a van from the movie with no license plate. Luckily Joe didn't have a driver's license either."

Truck with the same slogan also appears in the movie The Limits of Control, unfortunately without good old Joe.
CaptainSuburbia
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 125 9
Trip Reports (44)

Post by CaptainSuburbia »

cedica wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:15 am
CaptainSuburbia wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:25 pm
cedica wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:05 pm Either on foot, or in Joe's truck:
joe_camioneta.jpg
Joe Rey?
That was intended to be tongue-in-cheek just for you: "During the filming of 'Straight to Hell', Joe Strummer made a trip to San Jose. He made the trip in a van from the movie with no license plate. Luckily Joe didn't have a driver's license either."

Truck with the same slogan also appears in the movie The Limits of Control, unfortunately without good old Joe.
Shoot missed that reference. Good post! Seems about right.
I should have replied with Bankrobber or maybe Banditos.
Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
Nothing drives people crazy like people drive people crazy.
Save Challenger Point
mijoflynn
14ers: 32 
13ers: 118
Trip Reports (1)

Post by mijoflynn »

I'm chiming in a little late, sorry, so I don't know if you're still considering this hike. I did Huerfano and Iron Nipple in July. I knew Lindsey was closed, but had read last year (on page 2 of this thread) that the other peaks were open, so I went ahead and climbed them without thinking too much about it. Looking at my track now, I can see that I inadvertently trespassed in two places -- but both are pretty easily avoidable.

1. I bypassed Iron Nipple's east cliffs on the way up, and climbed the peak directly on my return. The bypass (steps 15-17 on Bill's route description) is on private land, but if you go over Iron Nipple (steps 21-27) both ways, you should be fine. My track shows that I naturally (i.e. making hiking decisions, rather than consciously avoiding trespassing) stayed on the ridge crest the entire way back, and it was maybe class 2+ in a couple of places as it neared the Nipple.

2. Like Scott P said while looking at Alyson Kirk's track, the other area is around 13,600, where you can see both a false summit and the true one, and it's totally natural to go around the false one (red line). To stay off private land, you'd want to follow the ridge all the way to the false summit, and then across to the true one -- but that's just a couple of easy class 2 steps out of your way (green line).
FB_IMG_1659997174302.jpg
FB_IMG_1659997174302.jpg (153.73 KiB) Viewed 2215 times
I guess, though, it all depends on how nitpicky you want to be (or how nitpicky you think the landowners will be). I agree with Jon Frolich -- there are parts of the traverse where "west of the ridge" isn't really an option (Bill's pic 21, looking toward the Nipple, is a better indication than this one). So if you take a single step east off the literal ridge crest to keep your balance or whatever, is that trespassing?

One other note that might be of interest: they had lots of blowdown in the Huerfano valley this spring or early summer. With Lindsey closed, that trail is getting less traffic than it usually does (I didn't see anyone else the entire day) . . . and less maintenance, too, it seems. So there's lots of fresh deadfall on the trail for the first couple of miles. Give yourself some extra time if you do decide to go up.
Gulf_Coast_Hiker
14ers: 14 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Gulf_Coast_Hiker »

mijoflynn wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:11 pm I'm chiming in a little late, sorry, so I don't know if you're still considering this hike. I did Huerfano and Iron Nipple in July. I knew Lindsey was closed, but had read last year (on page 2 of this thread) that the other peaks were open, so I went ahead and climbed them without thinking too much about it. Looking at my track now, I can see that I inadvertently trespassed in two places -- but both are pretty easily avoidable.

1. I bypassed Iron Nipple's east cliffs on the way up, and climbed the peak directly on my return. The bypass (steps 15-17 on Bill's route description) is on private land, but if you go over Iron Nipple (steps 21-27) both ways, you should be fine. My track shows that I naturally (i.e. making hiking decisions, rather than consciously avoiding trespassing) stayed on the ridge crest the entire way back, and it was maybe class 2+ in a couple of places as it neared the Nipple.

2. Like Scott P said while looking at Alyson Kirk's track, the other area is around 13,600, where you can see both a false summit and the true one, and it's totally natural to go around the false one (red line). To stay off private land, you'd want to follow the ridge all the way to the false summit, and then across to the true one -- but that's just a couple of easy class 2 steps out of your way (green line).FB_IMG_1659997174302.jpg

I guess, though, it all depends on how nitpicky you want to be (or how nitpicky you think the landowners will be). I agree with Jon Frolich -- there are parts of the traverse where "west of the ridge" isn't really an option (Bill's pic 21, looking toward the Nipple, is a better indication than this one). So if you take a single step east off the literal ridge crest to keep your balance or whatever, is that trespassing?

One other note that might be of interest: they had lots of blowdown in the Huerfano valley this spring or early summer. With Lindsey closed, that trail is getting less traffic than it usually does (I didn't see anyone else the entire day) . . . and less maintenance, too, it seems. So there's lots of fresh deadfall on the trail for the first couple of miles. Give yourself some extra time if you do decide to go up.
Hey thank you so much for the info! Really appreciate it and I'm sure others do as well. I've decide just to avoid the area next week as there are so many peaks that I've not yet climbed that it doesn't make any sense (for me) to do this route at this time.
Shane_R
14ers: 37 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Shane_R »

I've been wondering about this too. Maybe he'd rather not answer, though.
Ed_Groves
14ers: 25 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ed_Groves »

Bumpety, bump, bump. Any recent updates?
"Education is the process of moving from cocksure ignorance to thoughtful uncertainty." (Utvich)
dwoodward13
14ers: 58  12 
13ers: 157 6
Trip Reports (1)

Post by dwoodward13 »

Ed_Groves wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:40 am Bumpety, bump, bump. Any recent updates?
The landowners are still insisting on legislative change to the liability of allowing recreation on private land on the books. The Colorado legislative session gets sworn in today, although I can't imagine this is anywhere near the top priority. There was no movement in the legislature on this at all last year. I've heard that CFI/CMC/etc were unable to craft any framework that was acceptable to the land owners, let alone start moving it thru the bill process.
spoony
14ers: 21  14  3 
13ers: 5 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by spoony »

We are just one day into the 2023 legislative session, so I would not get your hopes up too high, but this article suggests that at least one legislator is working on the issue: https://coloradosun.com/2023/01/11/legi ... al-access/
Ed_Groves
14ers: 25 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ed_Groves »

spoony wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 8:44 am We are just one day into the 2023 legislative session, so I would not get your hopes up too high, but this article suggests that at least one legislator is working on the issue: https://coloradosun.com/2023/01/11/legi ... al-access/
Good information. Thanks. I hope they can come to an agreement to solve this issue.
"Education is the process of moving from cocksure ignorance to thoughtful uncertainty." (Utvich)
Ryan987
14ers: 26  3 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Ryan987 »

So how are we new climbers suppose to complete our 14ers with this closure? Do people actually trespass or do they hike to the USFS boundary and call it done?