spanish caves(sangre de cristo range)

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Craig Cook
14ers: 16 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (13)

Re: spanish caves(sangre de cristo range)

Post by Craig Cook »

tmathews wrote:I would also submit that it's not a good idea to post locations to keep from tempting assholes like this.
:wft: :wft: :wft:
Furthermore
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 643
Trip Reports (219)

Post by Furthermore »

Here is a prime example of what vandals, gem collectors and people with bad caving ethics can do to caves.

These photos are taken in almost exactly the same location. (I obviously didn't take these photos)

I was caving way before I ever started 13er binging and I do still love and care about them.
Attachments
8.jpg
8.jpg (164.87 KiB) Viewed 1170 times
9.jpg
9.jpg (209.68 KiB) Viewed 1170 times
Furthermore
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 643
Trip Reports (219)

Post by Furthermore »

And.
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (165.19 KiB) Viewed 1169 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (168.87 KiB) Viewed 1169 times
caverdude
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 16 2
Trip Reports (2)

Post by caverdude »

Furthermore has stated the need to protect caves very eloquently. Even if cave locations are published it doesn't mean that it's a good idea. As a long time AZ caver I am well aware of both sides of the argument for cave location secrecy. In 30 years of caving I've seen many caves changed forever by the actions of a few careless individuals. The best way to protect caves is through education and the best way to learn, is from experienced cavers by joining a NSS grotto or finding friends who are experienced cavers. Just like you wouldn't head off to climb a 14er unprepared, you need to learn specialized techniques to protect both you and the cave from harm. If anyone wants help getting started just send me a PM and I will try to get you started in the right direction.
Be safe both above and below ground,
Pat
motorcross4387
Trip Reports (0)

Post by motorcross4387 »

I know where the caves are, but being that there are 7 or so caves up there I don't want to end up in the wrong one... Spanish Cave (the dangerous one) is pretty obvious, but I don't know how to identify Marble Halls, or any of the other caves (nor do I have any information on these other caves and wouldn't want to venture into them without a competent knowledge of what technical skills are required). Can anyone tell me how to identify which one is Marble Halls (Yeoman's) Cave, and/or offer information on the other half dozen caves scattered around there?