Hardest Standard 14er Route in a Day?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

What is the hardest standard CO 14er route to climb in a day?

Capitol Peak Northeast Ridge
23%
Snowmass Mountain East Slopes
19%
Other
58%

Total votes: 48
Been_Jammin
14ers: 58  1  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Hardest Standard 14er Route in a Day?

Post by Been_Jammin »

If/when I repeat Snowmass I'm making it an overnight. That is a hard route for one day!
JacobW
14ers: 45  17  4 
13ers: 21 11 3
Trip Reports (5)

Re: Hardest Standard 14er Route in a Day?

Post by JacobW »

Doing Capitol in a day really isn't that bad, as long as you're willing to jog a bit. I've done it this way twice. I think Sunlight, in a day, from Needleton (or Molas Lake if you count the train as part of the approach) would take the cake on "hardest single 14er to hike in a day". Maybe need to specify if this is car-to-car or not.
Been_Jammin
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Been_Jammin »

I would count Needleton to Sunlight Peak as the standard route. This might be the hardest logistically... is it possible to time the trains to do this in day?
Jorts
14ers: 58  4  2 
13ers: 104 14 5
Trip Reports (11)

Post by Jorts »

Been_Jammin wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:04 pm I would count Needleton to Sunlight Peak as the standard route. This might be the hardest logistically... is it possible to time the trains to do this in day?
Best to go from Purg to daytrip those... since the train only picks up at Needleton at 1030am. As of last season anyway.
Traveling light is the only way to fly.
IG: @colorado_invasive
Strava: Brent Herring
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

I would also think that it would be Sunlight. Most people do all three when they are there too. Eolus and Windom would be next hardest.

I wouldn't think that Capitol or Snowmass would be any harder to do in a day than the Barr Trail, Kit Carson, or Oxford.

That's said, all of those were ovrnighters for me (except for Kit Carson-I haven't done that one yet).
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
emgordon_II
14ers: 30 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by emgordon_II »

Scott P wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:03 pm I would also think that it would be Sunlight. Most people do all three when they are there too. Eolus and Windom would be next hardest.

I wouldn't think that Capitol or Snowmass would be any harder to do in a day than the Barr Trail, Kit Carson, or Oxford.

That's said, all of those were ovrnighters for me (except for Kit Carson-I haven't done that one yet).
Personally, Loft to Keyhole on Longs and Holy Cross in October snow were harder then Kit Carson and Challenger combo (up North Face, down standard) in a day, but I know those aren’t all standard routes.

How would Blanca in a day from the bottom of the road compare with Capitol? Obviously, Capitol has harder climbing/route finding, but I imagine both require plenty of endurance.
jfm3
14ers: 58 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (12)

Post by jfm3 »

For me it was Eolus & North Eolus from Purgatory in a single outing. 17.5 hours and 38 miles. I wanted to get all 4 but I had to bail due to approaching rain and the long return to the car. Can't wait to do the whole thing again to get Sunlight & Windom later this summer.
Strava: https://www.strava.com/athletes/2596507" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/jamie.mothersbaugh.3rd/
Garmin inReach Map: https://share.garmin.com/jfmiii
John Landers
Trip Reports (1)

Post by John Landers »

Define what you mean by day. I live in Denver and did a lot of the 14ers by getting up early and driving to the thrailhead, hiking and driving home excluding the Elks, San Juans, and Sangres.
nmjameswilson
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nmjameswilson »

I am considering doing both Snowmass and Capitol in a day in August so very interested in the comments. Now if done from Pierre lakes BOTH can be done in a day. :-)
Been_Jammin
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Been_Jammin »

My intention for the discussion was hardest "STANDARD" 14er route in a day. My opinion is Snowmass mostly because of the length of the route. I would consider Sunlight standard route to be Needleton to Summit and back... I'm not sure a mortal person could time the trains correctly to do this in a day... but if that is possible that might take the cake on hardest standard 14er route in a day. I have no doubt there are other 14er routes harder than the Snowmass or Cap standard routes. Sunlight from Purgatory or a combo of Snowmass and Cap, for example, would certainly be very very hard to do in a day.
nickcreek72
13ers: 35
Trip Reports (1)

Post by nickcreek72 »

nmjameswilson wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:23 am I am considering doing both Snowmass and Capitol in a day in August so very interested in the comments. Now if done from Pierre lakes BOTH can be done in a day. :-)
I tried this last September via the Moon Lake approach to Capitol and then across Pierre Lakes basin to Snowmass. Ended up about 1000ft short of Snowmass before heading down to Snowmass Lake to sleep. Never been so exhausted from a 14er hike. A super tough day for sure!

https://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepo ... m=tripmine
thebeave7
13ers: 127
Trip Reports (25)

Post by thebeave7 »

I've done a lot of long routes of 14ers in a day, 100% it's the Chicago Basin group from purgatory. At 42mi and 13k vert it's a long hard day even if you're running, throw in a little scramble half way for funsies. Next for me would be Little Bear-Blanca from the bottom of the jeep road with no 4wd, just cause I really hate that jeep road.

Eric
Me fail English? That's unpossible. http://www.ericjlee.com/Blogs