Training hikes for Mount Sherman

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
mgl45
14ers: 1 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Training hikes for Mount Sherman

Post by mgl45 »

I am going to try to summit my first 14'er this season, planning on Mount Sherman from the four mile creek trailhead. I picked Sherman because I have some physical difficulties and as far as I tell Sherman is a shorter distance and lower elevation gain compared to other 14'ers,

I was wondering if anyone could recommend any good training hikes in central Colorado to work my way up to Sherman?

Last year I did Maryland Mountain, Mount Royal, Shrine Ridge, and Uneva Peak. Those were really fun and hoping to find some different ones this year.

Thanks much for any advice anyone may have!

UPDATE: timeframe I'm looking at for the training hike is late June, and Sherman sometime in July
Last edited by mgl45 on Sat May 28, 2022 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Re: Training hikes for Mount Sherman

Post by Scott P »

I haven't done Maryland, but for Sherman the hikes you did should be adequate. Sherman is longer than Mt. Royal, but mich less steep.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Imcp
14ers: 30 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Imcp »

Saint Marys Glacier near Georgetown is a short and steep hike that is probably fully melted out up to the glacial lake. It is probably half the length of Sherman but you could do it twice in a row.

I found this forum post on trip advisor asking about short hikes off of I-70 that could be good. It has Shrine Ridge on it, so the others are maybe comparable. Anything in Glenwood Canyon like is probably going to be closed again this year because of the fire and mudslides the last couple of years. But if I'm wrong and it does open, Hanging Lake is a good one.
summitrunner
14ers: 18 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by summitrunner »

Windsor Lake off of Hagerman Pass is a good one. Hiking the double chair road at Ski Cooper is another good option.
"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." PRE
davisrice4
14ers: 58  11 
13ers: 99 13 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by davisrice4 »

Try out Bald Mountain (Breck) on Boreas pass, South or North Diamond on Cameron pass, and if you have a jeep or good 4wd vehicle, the 13ers off hermit pass in the sangres make for a great scenic hike. With your tick list achieved it seems you could totally hike sherman once the snow melts, but horseshoe mountain nearby would also be a good test option. Hope you have a good summer of hiking peaks!
Monte Meals
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Monte Meals »

Cupid, Grizzly, and Sniktau

You can do all three in an easy day
if you want to push yourself a little.
-wren-
14ers: 51  3 
13ers: 109 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by -wren- »

It sounds to me like you are already set to attempt Sherman. "Training" hikes will be great for confidence and many great options have already been listed - but I think you've got it in the bag. Good luck!
CaptainSuburbia
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 125 9
Trip Reports (44)

Post by CaptainSuburbia »

" Golden Bear" is always a good one.
Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
Nothing drives people crazy like people drive people crazy.
Save Challenger Point
Sincitysidekick
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Sincitysidekick »

If you know anybody that has 3-4 steps leading up to their front door, just go over to their house and ring the doorbell. That should be pretty similar to going to the summit of Mt Sherman
Ptglhs
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 86 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ptglhs »

To the OP:
If you want someone to go with you and you're going during the week feel free to reach out. I live in Fairplay and have hiked Sherman several times.
mgl45
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mgl45 »

Ptglhs wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 5:03 pm To the OP:
If you want someone to go with you and you're going during the week feel free to reach out. I live in Fairplay and have hiked Sherman several times.
Thanks, I appreciate that!
mgl45
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mgl45 »

Thanks much to everyone for all the information and advice, very helpful!