Mt Sherman anyone?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
pillbert95
Trip Reports (0)

Mt Sherman anyone?

Post by pillbert95 »

Has anyone done Sherman within the last few days? Looks like it's been fairly dumped on with new snow. I had planned on hiking it this weekend and I'm trying to assess the trail conditions. Any help would be awesome!
Ptglhs
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 86 3
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Mt Sherman anyone?

Post by Ptglhs »

From someone living in Fairplay: wait a couple of weeks or do something in a different range. The town received over a foot on Fri/Sat and it's snowing again this morning. Everything over treeline is fresh, white, and looks deep. Forget about getting close to the TH. If you had skins or snowshoes and wanted to suffer through posthole slushy mud hell you could go from the Leadville side. It's supposed to get into the 50s by midweek in town, but the trails aren't going to clear for a while.
pillbert95
Trip Reports (0)

Post by pillbert95 »

From someone living in Fairplay: wait a couple of weeks or do something in a different range. The town received over a foot on Fri/Sat and it's snowing again this morning. Everything over treeline is fresh, white, and looks deep. Forget about getting close to the TH. If you had skins or snowshoes and wanted to suffer through posthole slushy mud hell you could go from the Leadville side. It's supposed to get into the 50s by midweek in town, but the trails aren't going to clear for a while.

@Ptglhs, thank you so much for your insight! Yeah, I think we're gonna have to scramble our plans and come up with an alternate option. We drive from about 8 hours away, so we don't wanna totally scratch the weekend we had planned.
Ptglhs
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 86 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ptglhs »

I'm not sure which direction you're coming from but you might want to look at Peaks and either the Southwest or south central portion of the state, the San Juans or the Sangre de Cristo range. There are some condition reports from before this storm would say things are fairly melted out, but I don't know how far west and south This Cloud Band hit. If you really want to get into the Alpine then I would suggest trying to find a Peak with a route on a Southern Slope or south facing Ridge. Good luck and stay safe.
Will_E
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 215 37
Trip Reports (21)

Post by Will_E »

I had planned on Sherman last Saturday but four mile rd wasn’t plowed.
Camden7
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 195 5 11
Trip Reports (18)

Post by Camden7 »

I have climbed Sherman twice during the winter from Leadville, and if your are ok with a 10+ mile day then you can park at the mine and it is fine. In terms of snow, I think the mosquitos have less but Grey Wolf Mountain (near Mt. Evans) on Sunday had more than 30 inches of new heavy fresh powder and it was a metric heck-ton of work to push through. Not knowing conditions I would say from Leadville it would be doable if you are fit and comfortable in deep snow, but otherwise best to avoid and go for something in the Sangres where there is less snow.
If you aren’t thirsty, you brought too much water.
If you aren’t hungry, you brought too much food.
If you aren’t scared, you brought too much gear.
If you made it to the top, it was too easy anyway.
-climbers’ adage
Camden7
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 195 5 11
Trip Reports (18)

Post by Camden7 »

Will_E wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 9:15 am I had planned on Sherman last Saturday but four mile rd wasn’t plowed.
Iowa gulch from Leadville is better anyway, and that is plowed to the mine so far better for winter and spring.
If you aren’t thirsty, you brought too much water.
If you aren’t hungry, you brought too much food.
If you aren’t scared, you brought too much gear.
If you made it to the top, it was too easy anyway.
-climbers’ adage
CaptainSuburbia
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 125 9
Trip Reports (44)

Post by CaptainSuburbia »

Will_E wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 9:15 am I had planned on Sherman last Saturday but four mile rd wasn’t plowed.
Since when did you not enjoy a good road walk?
Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
Nothing drives people crazy like people drive people crazy.
Save Challenger Point
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

I'll be up in that area this weekend, not doing Sherman but the other peaks in the area, conditions dependent.