Cathedral Peak conditions

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
tonythetiger
14ers: 58 
13ers: 61
Trip Reports (0)

Cathedral Peak conditions

Post by tonythetiger »

Has anyone climbed Cathedral Peak recently or have any information on conditions? My husband and I are hoping to climb it over Memorial weekend (May 28-29). We would like to do it as a backpack, camping just below the lake to enable an early start for the climb I would appreciate any information on the snow conditions.
ClimberSkierDave64
14ers: 58  13  1 
13ers: 29 17 1
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Cathedral Peak conditions

Post by ClimberSkierDave64 »

I climbed and skied the Pearl Couloir on Cathedral on Sunday. No snow on the trail until about 2 miles up the trail above 11,000 feet. Above that the snow is melting quickly but still has continuous coverage. The snow was semi-supportable after a decent freeze but definitely would have been posthole hell on the downhill without skis. The couloir itself is suncupped with lots of avy debris.
madmattd
14ers: 37  14 
13ers: 81 4
Trip Reports (2)

Post by madmattd »

A friend skied it on Saturday (5/14). The picture I was texted showed a fair bit of snow still, but definitely melting out and looked pretty soft. He sometimes posts on here, so I'll poke him in case he has anything else to offer conditions-wise.
cloudkicker
14ers: 58  10 
13ers: 156 12
Trip Reports (4)

Post by cloudkicker »

A friend did it on Sunday, she reported snow was sun cupped. When they went the snow was very soft which made for a treacherous climb.

Others with her who skied said it was a terrible ski.

Still snowy in the lower basin, it’s not melted out to the lake yet.
tonythetiger
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tonythetiger »

Thanks everyone for your beta. It is much appreciated.

Did anyone climb Cathedral this past weekend and have an updated conditions report?
uwe
13ers: 45
Trip Reports (0)

Post by uwe »

No beta. I may be going after you, June 10/11. Will be interested to know how you found climbing conditions...the elevation at which the talus stopped and snow started. Hope you have a wonderful. Been there 3x: spring, summer, fall. Just an awesome place to hang of a couple of days. Fishing is amazing. Electric Pass is fun as the highest foot path pass in CO. Climb Leahy Peak, a wonderful 13'er - an easy ramp climb up to the summit. From there, follow the ridge to Electric Pass. Camping is amazing. There is what I call the honeymoon suite behind and below the general camping area to your left as you exit the trail before you get to the lake. Take the left and keep walking straight until you reach a drop-off at the end of the camping area. Scan for the site and descent. The trees surround the site making it super private, plus they give you 'windows' for great views. It's a short walk to the water's edge. You're gonna love it.
Dan_Suitor
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 90
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Dan_Suitor »

Bumping this to see if there is any updated Beta beyond what I found on Facebook 13ers. I’m planning to climb Cathedral this Saturday.
Century Bound, eventually.
tonythetiger
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tonythetiger »

My husband and I planned to attempt Cathedral last weekend, but postponed our climb until this weekend (Sunday). So, we are also interested in any beta on conditions for Cathedral.