An Absurd Obsession, the north face of Blanca Peak (read this before it's deleted on ST)

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
OldTrad
14ers: 36 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (4)

An Absurd Obsession, the north face of Blanca Peak (read this before it's deleted on ST)

Post by OldTrad »

For anyone interested in Blanca, the following is a MUST READ. Unfortunately, Super Topo is 95% decommissioned - so much awesome recorded history on there, especially re: Yosemite Valley climbing, has already been lost. Hence, read this article before it's lost too. Enjoy!

http://www.supertopo.com/tr/An-Absurd-O ... 3125n.html
JulianSmith
14ers: 57  41  13 
13ers: 52 8 2
Trip Reports (0)

Re: An Absurd Obsession, the north face of Blanca Peak (read this before it's deleted on ST)

Post by JulianSmith »

Wow, super cool. Thanks for sharing. My own first experience with Blanca was a solo trip up the Ormes Buttress. I love reading about some of the more off the beaten path ascents that take place on 14-ers.
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Re: An Absurd Obsession, the north face of Blanca Peak (read this before it's deleted on ST)

Post by greenonion »

That was really good. Great writing. Thanks for sharing!
Will_E
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 214 37
Trip Reports (21)

Post by Will_E »

Blows my mind when I see these stories from the 70’s or earlier. We have it so much easier these days.
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

OldTrad wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:42 am For anyone interested in Blanca, the following is a MUST READ. Unfortunately, Super Topo is 95% decommissioned - so much awesome recorded history on there, especially re: Yosemite Valley climbing, has already been lost. Hence, read this article before it's lost too. Enjoy!

You know... you can save the good stuff yourself off that site if you're concerned about it being lost...
benmangelsdorf
14ers: 38  6 
13ers: 29 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by benmangelsdorf »

Really cool, thanks for sharing. Love this:

"Fast forward to the mid 1980’s and a rational approach up Huerfano Creek in July with warm temperatures, long days, and magnificent fields of wildflowers. Really, people, this is the way the mountains ought to be enjoyed."

<3
OldTrad
Trip Reports (4)

Post by OldTrad »

SkaredShtles wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:47 am
OldTrad wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:42 am For anyone interested in Blanca, the following is a MUST READ. Unfortunately, Super Topo is 95% decommissioned - so much awesome recorded history on there, especially re: Yosemite Valley climbing, has already been lost. Hence, read this article before it's lost too. Enjoy!

You know... you can save the good stuff yourself off that site if you're concerned about it being lost...
Of course, and I have. Unfortunately certain gems were lost, but I only realized that too late after thinking ST would remain as an archive.
Cygnus X1
14ers: 44  1 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Cygnus X1 »

I think someone else has an absurd obsession with Blanca. Maybe you shouldn't move to Italy. :lol:
Bean
14ers: 45  45  10 
13ers: 9 4
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Bean »

Hard to tell where exactly they climbed, but we did similar in 2010 because it looked quick and direct. I was not thrilled with the route choice but also was inexperienced-enough to not know just how dumb it was.

https://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=7866
"There are no hard 14ers, but some are easier than others." - Scott P
http://throughpolarizedeyes.com
mindfolded
14ers: 43  3 
13ers: 20 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mindfolded »

By this time the old miners’ cabin had burned down due to some USFS-induced “lightning-caused” fire, so we set up a tent to serve as our base camp.
I like this little bit of conspiracy theory.
OldTrad
Trip Reports (4)

Post by OldTrad »

Bean wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:26 pm Hard to tell where exactly they climbed, but we did similar in 2010 because it looked quick and direct. I was not thrilled with the route choice but also was inexperienced-enough to not know just how dumb it was.
The routes Nick described were all on the opposite side of Blanca from where you guys were - i.e., the Huerfano side, not the Como side. Two of the routes he describes are somewhat well known - Gash Ridge and the so-called Mountaineer's Route, the latter being the route he kept returning to and for those who don't know is the huge, sweeping gully just right/north of Ormes Buttress.
randalmartin
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 48 2
Trip Reports (13)

Post by randalmartin »

You really should check out the book "Spell of the Rockies" by Enos Mills. His book was published in 1911. In it he has a chapter titled Sierra Blanca where he describes ascending the North Face, summiting Blanca at sunset and descending the South face and walking out to Fort Garland. It is a pretty amazing account in Winter!!