Jagged Cabin History

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Anima
14ers: 58  17 
13ers: 202 12
Trip Reports (4)

Jagged Cabin History

Post by Anima »

Does anyone know the history behind Jagged Cabin?

In Roach's, Colorado's Thirteeners, 13,800 to 13,999 Feet, From Hikes to Climbs he describes the cabin as still serviceable (back in the early 2000s, I believe.) In the First Edition of A Climbing and Hiking Guide, Colorado's High Thirteeners by Mike Garratt and Bob Martin, Jagged Cabin is merely referenced as an "old cabin."

As of 2021, the cabin is very much NOT serviceable, with only a few feet of walls remaining, But I have seen photos from as recently as 2012 where the roof was still partially intact.

Anyways, I am curious as to how the cabin came to be. I know the CMC was in Noname Basin in the '50s, but I bet the cabin was there long before their trips. Has anyone ever seen a photo or read a report from them mentioning the cabin? I'm sure others were in the area well before the CMC too. I have never read of any mining in Noname Basin itself, (of course there was plenty of activity in Chicago Basin and along the Animas) but I could be wrong about that.

Thanks,
Clint
Attachments
Jagged Cabin, July 2021
Jagged Cabin, July 2021
Screen Shot 2022-01-27 at 9.24.18 PM.png (661.07 KiB) Viewed 1371 times
What is real will prosper.
SkiFree
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Jagged Cabin History

Post by SkiFree »

I don't have the answer you seek but, when I am curious about the history of a completely random structure or trail. I have found the answer by searching through historical USGS topo maps to find some more clues.

Sometimes the most you will get is a single dot representing your structure but you can generally get an idea of when the structure was built or what was going on in that area. It is especially useful in old mining/ logging areas.

The best part is they digitized and georeferenced all of the maps dating back to the 1800s. It is pretty easy to search and I attached a link below.

USGS Topo View HIstorical maps:
https://ngmdb.usgs.gov/topoview/viewer/#4/40.00/-100.00

It has been an amazing tool to find old road beds when planning off trail hikes.

Edit: woops nothing on any maps
Last edited by SkiFree on Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
seano
14ers: 56 
13ers: 218
Trip Reports (3)

Post by seano »

CalTopo is great for looking at historic maps, since it can blend them with other layers like modern maps, e.g. https://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=37.6310 ... 900&n=0.55 (play with the slider). I, too, have used this to find old trails and roads. I know nothing about the Jagged cabin, but it probably predates the USGS maps. Ormes might have some info.
9patrickmurphy
14ers: 50  1  2 
13ers: 320 24 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by 9patrickmurphy »

Bumping this thread. Anyone got any photos of the cabin when it was much more intact?