Where were these pics taken from?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
lodgling
14ers: 58  58  2 
13ers: 18 1
Trip Reports (12)

Re: Where were these pics taken from?

Post by lodgling »

Is that the summit of Capitol on the right in photo #4? Seems like there should be a skiable line in there somewhere ...
CoHi591
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 76
Trip Reports (0)

Post by CoHi591 »

Oh wow thanks y'all! I appreciate it. Always very impressed by people's ability to name that spot.
The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days.
myfeetrock
14ers: 37  1 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by myfeetrock »

4 isn't Capitol, and that isn't Avalanche Lake. The terrain, and the lake do not match. I don't know what it is either, but I'll keep looking.
cloudkicker
14ers: 58  10 
13ers: 156 12
Trip Reports (4)

Post by cloudkicker »

#4 is not Capitol.

#4 is looking at the Spider Face of White Rock Mountain from Copper Lake.

The same angle of White Rock can be seen on East Maroon Pass looking towards Copper Lake.
myfeetrock
Trip Reports (0)

Post by myfeetrock »

cloudkicker wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:38 am #4 is not Capitol.

The same angle of White Rock can be seen on East Maroon Pass looking towards Copper Lake.
For the win!!! Copper Lake!!!
gb
14ers: 56  54  6 
13ers: 67 54
Trip Reports (26)

Post by gb »

cloudkicker wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:38 am #4 is not Capitol.

I was going to say the same thing. That's Copper lake, and technically a subpeak of Whiterock.

And Lodgling, that face is skiable but needs good snow. I've climbed it but decided the snow was better on the White Widow couloir that faces S and is a classic.
Last edited by gb on Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
myfeetrock
Trip Reports (0)

Post by myfeetrock »

And the mound is where it's supposed to be.
Attachments
Copper-Lake-Header.jpg
Copper-Lake-Header.jpg (106.01 KiB) Viewed 723 times
lodgling
14ers: 58  58  2 
13ers: 18 1
Trip Reports (12)

Post by lodgling »

gb wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:45 am And Lodgling, that face is skiable but needs good snow. I've climbed it but decided the snow was better on the White Widow couloir that faces S and is a classic.
Thanks for the info gb. I'm rather focused on Capitol for now for some reason, so confirmation that #4 isn't the one will keep me from going down the rabbit hole of searching for new descent routes :-D. (I sort of figured that if #4 was indeed an aspect of Cap it would have been skied by now, but one can always hope).
gb
14ers: 56  54  6 
13ers: 67 54
Trip Reports (26)

Post by gb »

lodgling wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:21 am
gb wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:45 am And Lodgling, that face is skiable but needs good snow. I've climbed it but decided the snow was better on the White Widow couloir that faces S and is a classic.
Thanks for the info gb. I'm rather focused on Capitol for now for some reason, so confirmation that #4 isn't the one will keep me from going down the rabbit hole of searching for new descent routes :-D. (I sort of figured that if #4 was indeed an aspect of Cap it would have been skied by now, but one can always hope).
The money line on Cap IMO is the Dav/Biedleman line with conditions that allow for a continuous descent with no re-climb in the middle.