Where were these pics taken from?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
CoHi591
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 76
Trip Reports (0)

Where were these pics taken from?

Post by CoHi591 »

They're pictures hung up on my wall taken over the course of the last several years from Colorado 14er or Colorado wilderness calanders, and I have lost the key(s). In some cases I know the peak but am wondering what your best guess is on where the pic was taken from. Any ideas?
The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days.
docjohn
Trip Reports (7)

Re: Where were these pics taken from?

Post by docjohn »

1 an 2 are Mt Wilson, 3 is Shavano and Tabeguache, 4 is ??
...let me remind you of the pilgrim who asked for an audience with the Dalai Lama.
He was told he must first spend five years in contemplation. After the five years, he was ushered into the Dalai Lama's presence, who said, 'Well, my son, what do you wish to know?' So the pilgrim said, 'I wish to know the meaning of life, father.'
And the Dalai Lama smiled and said, 'Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?'

procol harum
-wren-
14ers: 51  3 
13ers: 109 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by -wren- »

CoHi591 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:59 am They're pictures hung up on my wall taken over the course of the last several years from Colorado 14er or Colorado wilderness calanders, and I have lost the key(s). In some cases I know the peak but am wondering what your best guess is on where the pic was taken from. Any ideas?
Fairly certain the last pic is Gothic Mountain just outside crested butte. It’s definitely in the west elks
hellmanm
14ers: 58 
13ers: 45 1
Trip Reports (7)

Post by hellmanm »

4 is Capitol from Avalanche Lake I think. 3 is Shav/Tab from either 13,600 or maybe from Mt. White (depending on zoom). Less sure about 2 and 1, but agree that 2 is somewhere in the Wilson group. 1... idk.
seano
14ers: 56 
13ers: 218
Trip Reports (3)

Post by seano »

1 looks like the area between Jagged and Sunlight, maybe looking over Knife Point Pass? Not gonna guess about the rest.
JacobW
14ers: 45  17  4 
13ers: 21 11 3
Trip Reports (5)

Post by JacobW »

4 is definitely Capitol from Avalanche Creek/Lake. 2 might be Cathedral?
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Post by Chicago Transplant »

2 is definitely Wilson, you can see unranked Cross Mtn in front. I have a similar angled image from Lizard Head, but with Cross Mtn in a different position. This image is probably a zoom image from farther east off the Vermilion to San Miguel ridge somewhere.
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day
JacobW
14ers: 45  17  4 
13ers: 21 11 3
Trip Reports (5)

Post by JacobW »

Chicago Transplant wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:59 am 2 is definitely Wilson, you can see unranked Cross Mtn in front. I have a similar angled image from Lizard Head, but with Cross Mtn in a different position. This image is probably a zoom image from farther east off the Vermilion to San Miguel ridge somewhere.
Right, that's totally it. Should have guessed that area just based on the red rock.
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Post by Chicago Transplant »

#2 actually aligns really well with my shot of Wilson from the 12er Black Face. That peak is only 12,147 and Cross is 12,703 so it would have to be from a higher vantage point based on the calendar image posted. It seems to me from the Black Face angle, that the calendar image was taken from Pilot Knob. I don't have my pictures from Pilot Knob on my office computer, but that seems the most logical vantage point.

EDIT- Actually maybe it is taken from the Black Face, the features align pretty well, the same cliffs behind Cross seem to be the same height:
Crop Wilson.jpg
Crop Wilson.jpg (105.77 KiB) Viewed 829 times
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day
planet54
14ers: 58 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (0)

Post by planet54 »

I think that photo number one is from the Meridian Peak and Corner Peaks area of the Nuchu Range.Looking at Game Pass and Peaks D,E, F and G. The point in the sunlight is Pt 12,626.Sorry for the very old photo. EDIT I will change that to the tower north of 12,626.

Screenshot (101).png
Screenshot (101).png (377.33 KiB) Viewed 692 times
Last edited by planet54 on Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H D Thoreau
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

planet54 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:29 pm I think that photo number one is from the Meridian Peak and Corner Peaks area of the Nuchu Range.Looking at Game Pass and Peaks D,E, F and G. The point in the sunlight is Pt 12,626.Sorry for the very old photo.

Screenshot (101).png
I belive that you are right about the background, but looking through my photos it may be taken from around NW Corner rather than Meridan?
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

Hey, I knew all of them! I still got it
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs