Mt Morrison Records & Experiences?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
HarkNeal
14ers: 4 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Mt Morrison Records & Experiences?

Post by HarkNeal »

jibler wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:06 pm I'm going to take this moment to plug my dream idea - that an official eastern path should be established from the park up.
Speaking of... if you look closely at satellite images you can still see the scar from the incline railroad that used to go from the parking lot just north of the amphitheater to the summit.
headsizeburrito
14ers: 29  18 
13ers: 89 4
Trip Reports (8)

Post by headsizeburrito »

jibler wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:05 pm
removing that old telephone line from the lower section of main trail would be nice.
I don't know why I spent 2 minutes on this, but I did.
morrisonguy.jpg
morrisonguy.jpg (26.75 KiB) Viewed 1656 times
cougar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 135 2
Trip Reports (10)

Post by cougar »

I like the phone cable, makes for a useful handline on that steep loose trail section
http://www.listsofjohn.com/m/cougar

"If we don't change direction, we'll end up where we're going."
"Bushwhacking is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get."
"Don't give up on your dreams, stay asleep"
jasayrevt
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 159 4
Trip Reports (26)

Post by jasayrevt »

I have frequently done two laps on Mt. Morrison. As previously mentioned, that is nothing fancy. It helps your cardio strength immensely.

I highly recommend the quality training route.
"A mind that is stretched by new experiences can never revert to old dimensions."

"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live life as you have imagined."

"Motivate others towards attaining highest aspirations."
jibler
14ers: 13 
13ers: 35
Trip Reports (18)

Post by jibler »

You know there used to be a lookout/shelter on the top - I think back around those furnicular days.

I saw this photo of a cowboy looking dude kicking it and looking out at expanse. but cannot find that photo online.

i would urge someone other than me get to the Denver Public Library archives to find it - i think that's where i saw it.

and who'da guessed - it was struck by lightning and burned down.
Keep looking up - Jack Horkheimer
Derek
Trip Reports (57)

Post by Derek »

jibler wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:21 am You know there used to be a lookout/shelter on the top - I think back around those furnicular days.
Assuming that's the foundation just to the north of the summit? That slab also used to have a pretty great Bob Saget spray painted portrait on it back in the mid 2000's.

I really enjoy Morrison, especially in winter months. The lower section has really gotten worn in the last decade, also multiple paths popping up in the last 300' to the top, so hoping it gets some care someday. I figured the addition of the parking lot indicated the possible start of this. Guess we'll see.

Great training spot, a combined 22% grade on the full ascent. I know myself (and many others) sometimes even just use the first half mile (~30% grade) for repeats.
Chrisfish25
14ers: 58  5  58 
13ers: 97
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Chrisfish25 »

I did 13 laps on my birthday on October 23rd 2020. 25k for my 25th
Chrisfish25
14ers: 58  5  58 
13ers: 97
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Chrisfish25 »

headsizeburrito wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:32 pm I do laps there once in a while (rarely more than 2-3, nothing fancy) and occasionally somebody would talk to me after seeing me go by a couple times. I can't remember the actual details, but somebody was telling me about a guy he knew who did something like 20 in a day to mark his birthday.

I saw Courtney Dauwalter training on Morrison a couple weeks before she ran the Barkley. I was going up as she was going down. A couple seconds after we crossed I realized who it was and was so stoked I had to text somebody about it and freak out a little. Kinda bummed she moved to Leadville so I probably won't see her on the local trails again, though of course it makes total sense for her training needs.

A while back I ate at The Cow in Morrison and saw their Holy Cow Burger on the menu: https://thecoweatery.com/champions/

I've been meaning to do as many laps of Mt Morrison as I can starting early in the morning and then get there an hour before closing and try the burger, just haven't gotten around to it yet.
That was me! I did 13 that day. 25k for my 25th bday
headsizeburrito
14ers: 29  18 
13ers: 89 4
Trip Reports (8)

Post by headsizeburrito »

Well done! I clearly misremembered the number as laps vs 1000ft of vert, very impressive either way. How long did that take you?
HikerBox
13ers: 126 6
Trip Reports (3)

Post by HikerBox »

Does anyone know why there's a stone-wall-esque structure running a few hundred vertical feet below the main ridge? You can see it if you look carefully from the base of the final climb. It doesn't seem to match the park boundary and is stacked to be vertical facing downhill but looks like rubble from above.
rijaca
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

HikerBox wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 8:32 am Does anyone know why there's a stone-wall-esque structure running a few hundred vertical feet below the main ridge? You can see it if you look carefully from the base of the final climb. It doesn't seem to match the park boundary and is stacked to be vertical facing downhill but looks like rubble from above.
https://historicredrocks.files.wordpres ... 05-fin.pdf
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
Hooray187
14ers: 33 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Hooray187 »

rijaca wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:10 am
HikerBox wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 8:32 am Does anyone know why there's a stone-wall-esque structure running a few hundred vertical feet below the main ridge? You can see it if you look carefully from the base of the final climb. It doesn't seem to match the park boundary and is stacked to be vertical facing downhill but looks like rubble from above.
https://historicredrocks.files.wordpres ... 05-fin.pdf
I don't, and I have never noticed that!