Fly Fishing Near Storm King Peak

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
rhinos00
14ers: 5 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Fly Fishing Near Storm King Peak

Post by rhinos00 »

I will be in the Weminuche Wilderness from the 26th - 30th to climb Storm King, Silex, Guardian, and possibly Peak 9. Just wondering if anyone has experience fly fishing in this area? Does Lake Silex or Trinity Lake hold any trout?

I'm trying to determine whether or not it's worth bringing the extra weight and gear along. Feel free to respond here or PM me. Thanks everyone!
KeithK
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (51)

Re: Fly Fishing Near Storm King Peak

Post by KeithK »

Not sure, but if you're not familiar, this might be a good place to ask: http://www.coloradomountainfishing.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Snow is dumb.™
Stop cyber bullying!
emfortin
14ers: 22 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by emfortin »

I have not been there but as of ~2005, each contained cutthroat.
Eric
MtHurd
14ers: 57  4 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MtHurd »

Pretty hearty fish if they are in Lake Silex. It's a pretty isolated cold and desolate lake.
rhinos00
14ers: 5 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rhinos00 »

Thanks for the responses so far. Just wanted to check in one more time before I head off tomorrow morning.
OldBackpacker67
Trip Reports (0)

Post by OldBackpacker67 »

Lake Silex looked frozen to me, hard walk down to the pit, beautiful though. Trinity Lake, big cutthroat along the shore. Good place to fish. I used Roostertails
RyGuy
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 230 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by RyGuy »

I'd be very surprised if the Lake wasn't frozen a foot thick by now. It's also doubtful much lives in it, especially this time of year.
"Climbing mountains is the only thing I know that combines the best of the physical, spiritual, and emotional world all rolled into one." -Steve Gladbach
Skimo95
14ers: 58  11  23 
13ers: 176 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Skimo95 »

RyGuy wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:57 pm I'd be very surprised if the Lake wasn't frozen a foot thick by now. It's also doubtful much lives in it, especially this time of year.
July 2012.. deep in the archives
RyGuy
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 230 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by RyGuy »

Ha, figures I was in a rush to leave work and didn’t look at the time stamp.
"Climbing mountains is the only thing I know that combines the best of the physical, spiritual, and emotional world all rolled into one." -Steve Gladbach