Missing Hiker Capitol Peak 7/31

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Matt
14ers: 58 
13ers: 208
Trip Reports (32)

Re: Missing Hiker Capitol Peak 7/31

Post by Matt »

bdloftin77 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:21 pm
SnowAlien wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:15 pm You'd think that Forest Service would know how to spell it :-k
Yeah that's awkward...
Screen Shot 2021-08-03 at 7.40.44 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-08-03 at 7.40.44 PM.png (1.62 MiB) Viewed 3408 times
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List
jibler
14ers: 13 
13ers: 35
Trip Reports (18)

Post by jibler »

this is a real thing - people shouldn't be joking around in here

https://kdvr.com/news/local/man-missing ... itol-peak/
Keep looking up - Jack Horkheimer
Ptglhs
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 86 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ptglhs »

Alpinefroggy wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:08 pm I am doing capital this upcoming weekend and am curious about it. I have heard it is no more difficult than difficult class 2 or class 3. It seems like it is just objectively dangerous with the loose rock and so care on every step must be taken to ensure rock doesn't become dislodged.
This isn't a class 2 mountain. I'm of the opinion that Capitol is class 3, not 4. As far as I remember I was facing out on all of the down climbing though there was a section of traversing the knife's edge where I was facing in. As others have noted there is an area with sustained no options for quick retreat, a fair bit of exposure, and other objective hazards. I thought the route finding was pretty easy; you're on a ridge, not a face, for most of it, so there aren't a lot of non obvious options.

Go in good weather, don't be foolish and think you can short cut anything between K2 and the summit, and work at keeping your focus in that area. I thought Little Bear, North Maroon, Sunlight, even Lindsay's NW Ridge had harder moves, but that's my subjective opinion.
susanjoypaul
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 88 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by susanjoypaul »

jibler wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:57 pm this is a real thing - people shouldn't be joking around in here

https://kdvr.com/news/local/man-missing ... itol-peak/
Agree. I can't imagine what I would be going through if this was one of my friends or kids, but I would likely be online, on the phone, or in the field looking for any information that might help rescuers locate this young man. I sure hope they get some news soon.
Been_Jammin
14ers: 58  1  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Been_Jammin »

If he had an inreach could he be found easier? Or does that only help someone get located if they push a button? Contemplating going to get one. This is scary.
climbingcue
14ers: 58  8  27 
13ers: 317 21 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbingcue »

Been_Jammin wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:14 am If he had an inreach could he be found easier? Or does that only help someone get located if they push a button? Contemplating going to get one. This is scary.
If you have the tracking function on while you hike. It is putting out a signal that the people you share it with can see. If it is turned off, it does not help find you.
Consecutive months with at least one 13er or 14er, 72 months
Aphelion
14ers: 58  17 
13ers: 48
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Aphelion »

Been_Jammin wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:14 am If he had an inreach could he be found easier? Or does that only help someone get located if they push a button? Contemplating going to get one. This is scary.
An Inreach can be pinged to find your location, but only if it's turned on.
ultrarunningkid
14ers: 10  1 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ultrarunningkid »

An Inreach can be pinged to find your location, but only if it's turned on.
I'm of the opinion that if you are paying the money to drive around Colorado doing 14ers, you really ought to spend the money to have have an InReach Mini or Spot tracker. You can get a perfectly functional used InReach for $150 plus the $20 a month subscription.

I've luckily never needed to use mine for myself, but I've used it 4 times in 4 years for other people including someone I walked up to who was panicking because they had a rattlesnake bite and no cell phone reception in the Sierras that prompted a helicopter rescue as it was at least a 10 hour hike to the nearest road.

Everyone likes to think they will never need rescued (hell I still like to think that) but at this point I'll be dammed if I don't have the InReach with me in case something goes downhill. At the end of the day, there are many things in the mountains completely out of our control (rockfall, wildlife, weather) but you can control SAR knowing where you are in the case of an emergency.

Sorry, off the soapbox now. I hope they find him. The best case scenario is he got lost on one of those cow trails that branch off the trail everywhere.
martinleroux
14ers: 28 
13ers: 23
Trip Reports (2)

Post by martinleroux »

Aphelion wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:18 am An Inreach can be pinged to find your location, but only if it's turned on.
I think you'd also have to set up location sharing on Garmin's MapShare web site, and enable the option "Allow viewers to locate you". The latter is disabled by default because there's a small charge every time someone uses that.

You can also program your InReach to send out a trackpoint every hour or so. That gives SAR something to go by even if the device ends up under a rock or is destroyed in an accident.

Sorry for the thread drift.
painless4u2
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (8)

Post by painless4u2 »

A good example of that technology not working, sadly:
https://www.greatfallstribune.com/story ... 933476002/
Bad decisions often make good stories.

IPAs + Ambien = "14ers" post (Bill M.)

In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps. Proverbs 16:9
Been_Jammin
14ers: 58  1  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Been_Jammin »

https://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/l ... pitol-peak

Some SAR team members got injured in rock slide looking for Kelly.
KingHenryJames3rd
14ers: 57  2 
13ers: 22 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by KingHenryJames3rd »

Been_Jammin wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:53 pm https://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/l ... pitol-peak

Some SAR team members got injured in rock slide looking for Kelly.
Sad to see rescue members get injured on a mission hope everyone is relatively alright considering they went to the hospital. This should be a great example to whoever was asking how serious Capitol is. It shouldn't be taken lightly it's a dangerous mountain even for the skilled and trained.