Flyingfish: flying high or flying fraud?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Flyingfish: flying high or flying fraud?

Post by greenonion »

CaptCO wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:21 pm Damn y’all still at it huh
:lol:
Gandalf69
14ers: 31 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (8)

Post by Gandalf69 »

In the fish side of the ring...I'm 30 and only just joined 14ers.com. Many of my 14ers I did in boy scouts, in the days before cell phones. Many trips I didn't bring a camera because it seemed unnecessary weight. Will i go back and repeat some, sure. Will I go back because I'm worried about people thinking about this peak or that? Nope. For me it's a hiking journey, not a hiking timetable. "Death is just another path in life, one that we must always take." -big G, return of the king.
"There's always the possibility that some a**hole will be offended." -Clint Eastwood, Escape from Alcatraz
"Life is cruel, why should the afterlife be any different".-Davey Jones
"The decision to triage us to death...I understand. I don't know that I would agree with it. Certainly not in retrospect because obviously I made it."-Beck Weathers, Dark side of Everest
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

This is all interesting,

While I am unsure of its greater value, I congratulate you on this extensive research, If we were hiring I'd hire you to be a research analyst asap!
Marmot96
14ers: 57  6  9 
13ers: 22 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Marmot96 »

Gandalf69 wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:54 am In the fish side of the ring...I'm 30 and only just joined 14ers.com. Many of my 14ers I did in boy scouts, in the days before cell phones. Many trips I didn't bring a camera because it seemed unnecessary weight. Will i go back and repeat some, sure. Will I go back because I'm worried about people thinking about this peak or that? Nope. For me it's a hiking journey, not a hiking timetable. "Death is just another path in life, one that we must always take." -big G, return of the king.
That's a completely normal approach to hiking and many (most?) of us don't track every little detail. But if you are questioned about having actually completed a peak, you would still generally remember it and be able to explain some of the details and logistics such as the trailhead you used, what peaks you connected and when you hiked them.

Refusing to even try to explain some of makes people very skeptical and when you are attempting to go for a "FKT" of sorts, you should at least try to explain the discrepancies otherwise it seems obvious that you had tried to cheat and get away with it and are trying to save face now.
FocoJoco
14ers: 24  1 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by FocoJoco »

As a fan of true crime I think this is great and could potentially keep Graham from fabricating more lies and deception in his future.
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

One thing is for sure, if this guy did half of what you uncovered that's an amazing amount of physical activity, good for him, guess he doesn't have a normal job.

I don't know this guy from a hole in the wall so cannot opine one way or another, but seems the main harm potentially done would be to his reputation.

The Real Questions are:

Did he leave a stranded dog on Bierstadt? :cry:
Was the said dog unleashed? :-&
Did he throw rocks off any peaks to "test" gravity? [-X
Did he do all this Solo? :-k
Is Flyingfish really the Baron? :-"
Gandalf69
14ers: 31 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (8)

Post by Gandalf69 »

Marmot96 wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:32 am
Gandalf69 wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:54 am In the fish side of the ring...I'm 30 and only just joined 14ers.com. Many of my 14ers I did in boy scouts, in the days before cell phones. Many trips I didn't bring a camera because it seemed unnecessary weight. Will i go back and repeat some, sure. Will I go back because I'm worried about people thinking about this peak or that? Nope. For me it's a hiking journey, not a hiking timetable. "Death is just another path in life, one that we must always take." -big G, return of the king.
That's a completely normal approach to hiking and many (most?) of us don't track every little detail. But if you are questioned about having actually completed a peak, you would still generally remember it and be able to explain some of the details and logistics such as the trailhead you used, what peaks you connected and when you hiked them.

Refusing to even try to explain some of makes people very skeptical and when you are attempting to go for a "FKT" of sorts, you should at least try to explain the discrepancies otherwise it seems obvious that you had tried to cheat and get away with it and are trying to save face now.
I totally agree that lying and cheating is bad. Especially for records or "fkt". I run marathons and would be pissed if someone cheated. I was just thinking about it, was trying to give the issue another perspective. I do think not being clear about things you put out there is bad. And cheating and lying of course, those are bad.
"There's always the possibility that some a**hole will be offended." -Clint Eastwood, Escape from Alcatraz
"Life is cruel, why should the afterlife be any different".-Davey Jones
"The decision to triage us to death...I understand. I don't know that I would agree with it. Certainly not in retrospect because obviously I made it."-Beck Weathers, Dark side of Everest
JQDivide
14ers: 58  33 
13ers: 115 1
Trip Reports (58)

Post by JQDivide »

Well, that was interesting.

nickm
14ers: 33 
13ers: 285
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nickm »

I am not posting to judge Graham. I think most of you have done a fine job!

Ben however needs an eye opener! The way you went about this Ben is inconceivable. To take your findings (right or wrong) and drag this kids personal life through the mud on a public website that exists to help people has no integrity! You could have done it 100 different ways. Someone your age and experience should know better! I'll let judge rijaca decide the punishment.

To help you out in the future Ben: You are very lucky this time! If you had picked the wrong person and were wrong about your findings? Well let's just say not everyone in this world is as nice as Graham.

Best of luck to the both of you!

Nick
supranihilest
14ers: 58  42 
13ers: 709 1 8
Trip Reports (113)

Post by supranihilest »

nickm wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:04 am I am not posting to judge Graham. I think most of you have done a fine job!

Ben however needs an eye opener! The way you went about this Ben is inconceivable. To take your findings (right or wrong) and drag this kids personal life through the mud on a public website that exists to help people has no integrity! You could have done it 100 different ways. Someone your age and experience should know better! I'll let judge rijaca decide the punishment.

To help you out in the future Ben: You are very lucky this time! If you had picked the wrong person and were wrong about your findings? Well let's just say not everyone in this world is as nice as Graham.

Best of luck to the both of you!

Nick
Is that a threat? :roll:
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

I very much agree with Nick. I think talking to Graham personally would have been a better move. Perhaps just messaging him being, "hey, what's this about?" instead of making this confrontational and super public. And why here? Why not on LoJ's own forums? How would you act within an actual social setting? (I know: everyone use your imagination on that one). Do people feel pride on totally owning someone else? It's just... kind of weird.

And as an aside, if verification is so important, maybe Mr. Kirk could develop tools to make that easier, as the literal owner of the platform, they have a lot of sway in how opinions are formed.
nickm
14ers: 33 
13ers: 285
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nickm »

Absolutely Not!