Backpack Found on Crestone Traverse

Post lost and found items here.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
MonGoose
14ers: 58  16  17 
13ers: 51 11 1
Trip Reports (16)

Backpack Found on Crestone Traverse

Post by MonGoose »

Update: I reached out to Custer County SAR and they confirmed that the backpack belongs to the guy rescued on 9/24. They said they will contact the individual about his plans to recover the backpack. If someone sees it there again on the traverse, please give us an update but I hope it will be removed soon.

TaylorHolt and I just got home from a beautiful weekend in the Crestones. On Saturday (9/24), we talked with some climbers who found a green backpack on the traverse that day which they left. On Sunday (9/25), while doing the Crestone traverse (Peak --> Needle), we discovered the pack between the Class 5.2 crux and the knife edge, just below the final ascent. Knowing it had been there the day before, we searched the contents and found the following:

- Green Osprey Backpack
- REI Sleeping Bag
- Isobutane fuel and cheap stove
- Sawyer water filter
- Metal cup
- MRE's and backpacking meals
- Two headlamps (Duracell and Energizer)
- Two battery storage units
- White non-backpacking pillow
- Dirty socks and underwear

* No wallet, no cell phone, no keys, no gps, no water bottles (sawyer water bag did have water)

The pack is still there. We're not sure how it got there, who it belongs to, or the best way to get it down. We did find this post on the 14ers Facebook group but the contents and story doesn't match the description with what we found. Any suggestions?
Crestone Backpack.jpg
Crestone Backpack.jpg (246.4 KiB) Viewed 8615 times
Last edited by MonGoose on Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
cyclecross444
14ers: 58 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Backpack Found on Crestone Traverse

Post by cyclecross444 »

I'm almost 99% sure this backpack is the guy who was rescued on On Saturday, Sept. 24, 2022.
I was 30 minutes behind a person who was up at the bulge and I know he had a huge green backpack.
He must of climbed the bulge and decided in his hypoxic state to leave all his gear there, climb the knife edge, and climb the headwall. I caught up to him descending the needle where I found him lost unable to find the traverse. We helped him down to broken hand pass, and then left him there because he said he was okay. On second thought, I should have noticed he had no backpack and he said he lost his flashlight.

I have no idea how that pack is going to get out other than someone going up to just below the 5.2 bulge, having someone above toss the pack down, and pack it out. Not good!

As bad is it is to litter, I am so happy he is alive because climbing the headwall with a pack that big would be dangerous.
Carl_Healy
14ers: 19  3 
13ers: 50 1 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Carl_Healy »

cyclecross444 wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:07 pm I'm almost 99% sure this backpack is the guy who was rescued on On Saturday, Sept. 24, 2022.
I was 30 minutes behind a person who was up at the bulge and I know he had a huge green backpack.
He must of climbed the bulge and decided in his hypoxic state to leave all his gear there, climb the knife edge, and climb the headwall. I caught up to him descending the needle where I found him lost unable to find the traverse. We helped him down to broken hand pass, and then left him there because he said he was okay. On second thought, I should have noticed he had no backpack and he said he lost his flashlight.

I have no idea how that pack is going to get out other than someone going up to just below the 5.2 bulge, having someone above toss the pack down, and pack it out. Not good!

As bad is it is to litter, I am so happy he is alive because climbing the headwall with a pack that big would be dangerous.
This guy?
If you can't run, you walk
If you can't walk, you crawl
If you can't crawl, you find someone to carry you
herdbull
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (1)

Post by herdbull »

Carl_Healy wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:41 pm
cyclecross444 wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:07 pm I'm almost 99% sure this backpack is the guy who was rescued on On Saturday, Sept. 24, 2022.

This guy?
I'll ask my team members. I wasn't on the mission as it was a small group of 2 they sent in but it could very well be the subjects that was rescued on the 24th.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

I'm not criticizing, but perplexed.

Why would someone carry full overnight gear on the traverse?
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
nsaladin
14ers: 58  1  5 
13ers: 12 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nsaladin »

Scott P wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:02 pm I'm not criticizing, but perplexed.

Thru-hiking/FKT the Sangres?
Codyhill1991
13ers: 80
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Codyhill1991 »

Maybe they backpacked in the night before all the way to camp at Cottonwood Lake, then figured they'd bring their stuff on the traverse rather than finish the traverse, descend to retrieve their stuff, then reascend Broken Hand Pass? Doesn't make a ton of sense in my brain personally but it's a possibility I guess.
JaredJohnson
14ers: 28  5 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (3)

Post by JaredJohnson »

nsaladin wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:12 pm

Thru-hiking/FKT the Sangres?
*SKT
MonGoose
Trip Reports (16)

Post by MonGoose »

Thanks for the responses. It would make sense that the guy rescued on Saturday night left it on the traverse, especially since he didn't have a headlamp on him and there were two in the pack. I'm glad SAR was able to find him and get him down safe. It would be nice to know what his plans are for recovering his gear and whether he needs help getting it down? There's only a few weeks left before we start getting snow. Leaving it there would be bad because every climber who stumbles across it in that terrain will wonder if someone is in danger.
Scott P wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:02 pm I'm not criticizing, but perplexed. Why would someone carry full overnight gear on the traverse?
I can't think of a good answer to this question. Maybe he camped at Cottonwood Lake and then attempted the traverse? I can't see it being a FKT or thru-hiker because it looked like the gear of a person just getting into backpacking, especially the pillow. I'm also curious where his tent and sleeping pad are, maybe he left them at South Colony lakes?
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

I'm pretty sure that's his pack, as in one of his photos he posted online, you can see green pack straps. You can also see an ice axe, which I don't think would have been much use for the conditions as of now, so maybe "why all the stuff" is just answered with: "he was just super prepared for anything"

Happy to hear he was able to get out to safety, with a little assistance.
MonGoose
Trip Reports (16)

Post by MonGoose »

justiner wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:33 pm I'm pretty sure that's his pack, as in one of his photos he posted online ...
Photos?
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

MonGoose wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:37 pm
justiner wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:33 pm I'm pretty sure that's his pack, as in one of his photos he posted online ...
Photos?
https://www.facebook.com/groups/8233844 ... 3837477842

green.jpg
green.jpg (153.54 KiB) Viewed 7267 times