First Free of Satan's Ridge

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
XterraRob
14ers: 42  7 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (4)

Re: First Free of Satan's Ridge

Post by XterraRob »

Wow, the downclimb around the 10 minute mark.

Hole-eeeee-****

That was awesome, way to go!
RIP - M56
Re-introduce Grizzly Bears into the Colorado Wilderness™
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

Iguru wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:12 am If I had a death wish, I might try that :shock:
Loved the part at 15:35: "That's the gnarliest thing I've ever done...by a longshot." And unroped, solo. Those that pull it off are a badass hero. Those that don't get the "RIP, at least he died doing what he loved," etc. pattern response.

-Tom
yaktoleft13
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 262 22
Trip Reports (21)

Post by yaktoleft13 »

XterraRob wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:10 pm Wow, the downclimb around the 10 minute mark.

Hole-eeeee-****

That was awesome, way to go!
I just watched that and dropped my phone because my hands were sweating. That was the sketchiest thing I've ever seen
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

XterraRob wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:10 pm Wow, the downclimb around the 10 minute mark.

Hole-eeeee-****
you must be referring to the part around 9:45~ where he says "oh this is f***ed up. s***!" right before he restarts the self-pep talks.
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
cougar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 135 2
Trip Reports (10)

Post by cougar »

putin cog.jpg
putin cog.jpg (40.94 KiB) Viewed 4484 times
http://www.listsofjohn.com/m/cougar

"If we don't change direction, we'll end up where we're going."
"Bushwhacking is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get."
"Don't give up on your dreams, stay asleep"
Kiefer
14ers: 58  39 
13ers: 317 24
Trip Reports (20)

Post by Kiefer »

supranihilest wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:04 am
Kiefer wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:35 am Damn!!!!! Truly impressive. Dude is an animal. Though, I'm curious how he got off Cap. =D>
At one minute and three seconds he's checking out the rappel piton, and a few seconds later says...

"Can't believe people were... fuckin' rappin' off that. That's wild."
proceeds to onsight solo down climb the rappel instead
:lol:
Finally got to watch the video.
First, I'm glad Mike talked me out of down climbing that face off Captiol. That's a break/fall waiting to happen. That piton was fine. Four of us rapped off it and two others (who placed it) rapped off it 36+ years ago. I talked to Gary Neptune about it.

Also keep in mind, while that ridge crest is steep AF, his camera IS distorting the view somewhat. It's steep enough that we all decided to traverse below it. The guy is a badass fo sho. Mad props.
That's twice this year that ridge got climbed. =D>
gb
14ers: 56  54  6 
13ers: 67 54
Trip Reports (26)

Post by gb »

He skied Cap this year, too. With quite a bit of style I might add, despite the low snow year.
daway8
14ers: 58  24 
13ers: 155 29
Trip Reports (70)

Post by daway8 »

Wow, for the first little bit I was like "aw, that doesn't really look all that bad..." Then I started to cycle through all sorts of facial expressions...

I'm going to guess this guy's a good solid #2 on the risk vs. reward poll (or perhaps even a #1).

As someone who still finds unroped 5.2 intense at times I was thoroughly cringing throughout most of this...
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Post by pvnisher »

It's the short shorts for me.

But really, that's a route with an extremely high commitment factor. Reminded me a lot of the Alps around Chamonix, but with way crappier rock.

I love ridge routes like that, probably my favorite type of climbing to do
Although I'd HundoP bring a rope and partner.
Bravo.
seeking timberline
14ers: 23 
Trip Reports (4)

Post by seeking timberline »

Well, that was terrifying.
Jan van Tilburg
14ers: 51 
13ers: 132
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Jan van Tilburg »

brrrrr, balance is everything!
headsizeburrito
14ers: 29  18 
13ers: 89 4
Trip Reports (8)

Post by headsizeburrito »

Damn, awesome accomplishment and video!

The shitty stick and poke Wutang Clan tattoo that looks like the result of a drunk night in a kitchen as a teenager was a bonus. :lol: