Looking for a guide to hike Grays & Torreys

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Carl_Healy
14ers: 19  3 
13ers: 50 1 3
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Looking for a guide to hike Grays & Torreys

Post by Carl_Healy »

sbolneni wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:02 pm Why avoid G/T in summer?
I think just because it's so busy in the summer.

To give you an idea I did the standard combo route last summer (Saturday 1-Aug-2020) and when I got at the Grays Peak Trailhead at 4:00 in the morning it had already just filled up.
Driving away from the trailhead later that morning around 09:00 there were cars lined up on the side of crappy FS-189 for 1-2 miles at least.

As others have said it's straightforward and easy to follow.
If you can't run, you walk
If you can't walk, you crawl
If you can't crawl, you find someone to carry you
Ed_Groves
14ers: 25 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ed_Groves »

You might refer to this and commit it to memory before paying for a guide.

https://www.14ers.com/route.php?route=t ... rreys+Peak

The route information provided on this site is outstanding, especially for the peaks with very good established trails. You can also download the 14ers.com app and have all this info available on your phone.
"Education is the process of moving from cocksure ignorance to thoughtful uncertainty." (Utvich)
Jenna N S
14ers: 36  2 
13ers: 24 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Jenna N S »

I'm going to make an assumption here that you're new to 14ers, in generally good health and fitness, and will be hiking solo and would like someone to help you up your 1st couple peaks so you aren't attempting it alone. If that is indeed the case, I don't think you'll need to spend the money on a guide. There are a ton of excellent resources out there that can give you all the information you'll need (this site! and other sites/youtube), and as others have said, there will be a LOT of people out on G&T. Research what you'll need to bring (https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice ... tials.html and https://14ers.com/gearlist.php ), rent/buy what you don't have, study the route descriptions on this site and download the app (if you have a smart phone), and get to the trailhead really early.

Good luck and have fun!
"They say that time is a great teacher but unfortunately it kills all its pupils. The mountains are also great teachers, and better still, they let the occasional star pupil live." Mark Lawrence King of Thorns
sbolneni
Trip Reports (0)

Post by sbolneni »

Thank you all. really appreciate your inputs. Have a great day.
sbolneni
Trip Reports (0)

Post by sbolneni »

Sorry have couple of questions.
1) Are there Bears or any other wild life I have to be prepared for especially if you start your hike from Winter Trail Head?
2) If I start the hiking from Winter Trail Head all the way to Grays.. what is the total distance?

Thanks
supranihilest
14ers: 58  42 
13ers: 709 1 8
Trip Reports (112)

Post by supranihilest »

sbolneni wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:02 pm Sorry have couple of questions.
1) Are there Bears or any other wild life I have to be prepared for especially if you start your hike from Winter Trail Head?
2) If I start the hiking from Winter Trail Head all the way to Grays.. what is the total distance?

Thanks
1) Possibly but unlikely. The road is crowded with people and loud vehicles, and black bears are generally afraid of and avoid people. I can't say I've ever seen wildlife anywhere near the road, even if it were benign, and I've been up that road a couple dozen times.
2) It's approximately 14 miles and 4,900 vert from the winter closure at I-70. The summer trailhead is accessible per the most recent conditions report so if you have a capable vehicle I recommend getting there very early (5am perhaps; I try to avoid G&T on weekends because it's so crowded) to secure a parking spot in the upper lot.
Dan_Suitor
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 90
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Dan_Suitor »

If your vehicle can't make it to the summer TH, start walking and put out your thumb. Good chance you will get a ride.
No need for a guide. This is what you should expect on Grays and Torreys that time of year.
Typical conga line going up Grays
Typical conga line going up Grays
GraysCongaLine.jpg (203.46 KiB) Viewed 2653 times
Typical day on the summit of Grays
Typical day on the summit of Grays
GraysSummit.jpg (121.98 KiB) Viewed 2653 times
Typical day on the summit of Torreys
Typical day on the summit of Torreys
TorreysSummit.jpg (118.39 KiB) Viewed 2653 times
Century Bound, eventually.
rperth
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rperth »

Troll alert. Maybe.
BuckeyeClimber
14ers: 31 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by BuckeyeClimber »

So, when I was first starting to hike 14ers, for some reason they came with a false taboo if you will. As if only the super athlete or CO native could afford the time and possessed the mountaineering talent +to achieve their summits. I did Longs as my first 14er at 28 years old. Loved it. But I went in aware of my limitations. I was in shape but I wasn't scared to put one foot in front of the other as long as I was confident where it would land. My advice in all honesty, get a guide if you want to. You will see what you are capable of. Please remember though, a guide CAN'T hike the mountain for you. They will support you and they provide motivation, but if you're head-strong, and you truly keep the vision, you'll make the summit alone. Especially on these less difficult trails. Stay aware of weather, your attitude, your legs and feet, water supply, and what you think is important. And don't forget to enjoy it. The summit will be there the next weekend and a million years from now just as it was a million ago. Respect the mountain. Leave no trace!! There will be others on the trail with you. Try a Saturday VERY EARLY (04:00) to get a parking spot or consider camping the evening prior. Best of luck!