10 day 14er gameplan

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
mtnkub
14ers: 58  1  7 
13ers: 116 4 4
Trip Reports (5)

Re: 10 day 14er gameplan

Post by mtnkub »

Any way you could swap out Uncompahgre for another peak for your plans with your friend during the second half?
In that case i would recommend starting your 10 days with the 14ers around Lake City (Redcloud/Sunshine, Handies, Uncompahgre, Wetterhorn). Depending on time, rest days, weather, that could be all. Or mayber after that something in the Sawatch (maybe Shavano/Tabeguache, as its on the south end and another twofer) and/or Decalibron on your way back to Denver. That should maximize your number of peaks in 10 days.

If you stick with the Sawatch (and/or other closer peaks to Denver), Holy Cross and Huron would be on top of my list (see also Scott P's recommendation). Huron is one of the easiest but has some of the best views (of the Apostles that Scott mentioned). Holy Cross is quite a bunch more effort, but a pretty cool mountain. (Just be careful with the navigation on the way back; lots of people seem to get lost). In case you are staying closer, I would also keep Longs as an option (and Holy Cross as a day hike would be a good test piece for the long day on Longs).
Strider29
14ers: 43 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Strider29 »

I suggest staying closer to Denver. It is a long drive down to Lake City, and you don't want to spend half your trip in the car. There's a good chance DeCaLiBron will be open by then. Maybe warm That would be a good warmup with Quandary, then DeCaLiBron the next day. Then maybe 2-3 of the Collegiate Peaks before hitting Pikes, Holy Cross or Longs on the way back to Denver to pick up your friend..?
DeTour
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (30)

Post by DeTour »

If you do Kelso Ridge and like it, you might consider Quandary's west ridge. Some might rate it a tad harder than Kelso; I'd say about the same. Different type of hard at the crux (Kelso = knife edge; Quandary = downclimb and ascent from the final notch.) Like Kelso, it gets you to the summit of a popular 14er without the herd on the way up; and you can descend the standard route if you don't want the rigors of down-climbing the ridge.

I'm with Scott P on the San Juans and Sangres being more scenic than the Sawatch. Opinions obviously vary on that point, but to me it's not even close. The colors of the San Juans are to die for. Sneffels standard route is no harder than Sawtooth. Or, again, if you like Kelso Ridge, you'd probably love the southwest ridge of Sneffels. (You may notice a pattern in my recs :) )

Sounds like the Sangres aren't on your agenda, but I can't help but promote them. The prominence over the valleys on either side is majestic. Come to think of it, Kit Carson-Challenger is no more challenging technically than Sawtooth, and Willow Lake is beautiful if you like camping.
------------------------------------------------------------------
Once torched by truth, a little thing like faith is easy.
Swede Landing, 'Peace Like a River'
The land is forever.
- Steve Almburg, Illinois centennial farmer
Tuxedo4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Tuxedo4 »

I've been taking in the information and mulling over plans. Considering 2 options. Begin with Grays and Torreys via Kelso. If I bite off more than I'd like with Kelso I'll stick closer to Denver and focus on the Sawatch. If I really enjoy Kelso then I head down south and play in the San Juans.

So Option 1 roughly goes:
Grays/Torreys
Quandry
Holy Cross
Massive
La Plata
Huron
Yale
Princeton
Tabeguache
Shavano

Option 2:
Grays/Torreys
Holy Cross
Handies
Redcloud
Sunshine
Wetterhorn
Uncompahgre
Sneffels

Option 1 would be "easier" and more beginner friendly but option 2 would be a blast if I decide I'm up to it. I mapped out the drive time between TH's for both and Option 2 is definitely a bit more road heavy. Also, less total peaks but I'm not overly worried about the number of peaks I make, I want the best trip. I'd have to move some plans around on the back end of the trip with my friend but no biggie. We'd probably end up replacing Sneffels/Uncompahgre with Massive and another peak or two in the Sawatch.

Is option 2 too ambitious in your opinions? Should I stick with Option 1 given my level of experience thus far or should I go for it (pending Kelso)?
ClimbingFool
14ers: 58 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ClimbingFool »

I climbed most of these peaks in the past year, and your background sounds similar to mine. I live at 900', good shape for a flatlander, slow for the locals.

You're being wise in using Kelso Ridge as a test piece and then choosing either option. From a pure technical standpoint, Wetterhorn is a little more challenging than Kelso, and Sneffels has just one tricky move. The access roads to the trailheads can get a little gnarly as I learned in my city SUV, but still doable as long as you don't drive too far up the road to Sneffels. I personally like the selection of option 2 better than 1, but either would be a fantastic trip. Enjoy and let us know about your experience.
peterkfes
Trip Reports (0)

Post by peterkfes »

I cannot resist jumping in on this conversation folks, nice topic. I enjoy, so much, reading all the comments from fellow fourteener lovers. I appreciate the terrific information shared and have had the pleasure of climbing 40 so far. Also a flatlander, from the Boston area, here's my advice. I don't care which fourteener you decide to climb...every one is special in its own way(s). The views, the hike, the weather, the people you meet. My most breathtaking moment in the almost twenty years I've been doing this, even though it's crazy to even try to pick one, is the moment I reached LaPlata's northwest ridge, at sunrise, to see Ellingwood Ridge and the Amphitheater below it. It was stunning and panning left to see Mt. Elbert that I had climbed the year before was so, so cool. And as boring and unspectacular a peak Sherman is considered to be by most, the day I stood on its summit and turned 360 degrees pointing to over a dozen other fourteeners in view that I had stood atop...I cried.

My diary notes for each climb, even the aborted ones, give me so much enjoyment throughout the year matched up with pictures and video I capture. So my perspective is...you can hardly go wrong with any peak you decide to climb. That said, all of these comments are excellent so try to have fun even at this planning step. Go with the beauty of the San Juans as some say, go for the convenience and options of the Sawatch as others suggest. I don't care what criterion you choose as the deciding one, you can't go wrong. And then, be prepared during your defined time out there to be flexible due to weather. I've crisscrossed ranges at the last minute, changing lodging reservations on a dime, to get my climbs in during the short two or three weeks I'm there. So, at some point we all have to deal with the 'even the best laid plans' reality. I'm sure others have their own stories about bouncing around between Leadville to Salida to Lake City to Durango...it's all one big beautiful opportunity.

Also, as a fellow flatlander and distance traveler, make sure you figure out your personal acclimation routine. My first two peaks ended with headaches that landed me in bed as soon as I got back to my hotel. I learned what works for me and haven't, knock wood, had another since. And I'm proud to report I'm have OCD through the winter and spring mapping out every little detail for my August adventures. Have fun, be safe, and record your experience in more than just your mind's eye for future enjoyment. Many of my videos have me referencing summit loopiness, I've taught myself to take a few notes throughout the climb to keep my stories for each peak straight for my grandkids.
gray24
Trip Reports (0)

Post by gray24 »

Good timing on this post. I’ve got a very similar trip planned for July/August this year. Also, very similar experience level. My plan is to fly in and hit a handful in the Sawatch then pick up a buddy who’s flying in a couple weeks later. After we meet up we’ll head to the San Juan’s and attempt a few down there.

My biggest question marks currently are should I attempt some of the more difficult routes (Kelso, Quandry west ridge, Sneffels southwest ridge, Halo ridge, Wetterhorn). I’m going to feel my way through it and make adjustments to the plan as I go.

Overall I’m really looking forward to the trip. It won’t all be about 14er’s but I’m hoping to head back home with 20 or so under my belt.
Jorts
14ers: 58  4  2 
13ers: 102 11 5
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Jorts »

gray24 wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:42 pm
My biggest question marks currently are should I attempt some of the more difficult routes (Kelso, Quandry west ridge, Sneffels southwest ridge, Halo ridge, Wetterhorn). I’m going to feel my way through it and make adjustments to the plan as I go.
Yes. You should be warmed up after some drab jaunts in the Sawatches. Assuming your friend is up for them. Can always flip it and take the alternative easier routes if you aren’t feeling it.
Traveling light is the only way to fly.
IG: @colorado_invasive
Strava: Brent Herring