Get off my talus!

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

Do threads having nothing to do with mountains and/or outdoor activity add to the .COM experience?

1) YES! The obsessive nature of most of us on this site is balanced somewhat as a result of being forced to think about something other than walking up hills a long time.
16%
2) Yes. I don't care about Mormons but am looking for a retirement home I can afford.
3%
3) Yes; I never climb mountains and only come here for the occasional drama, OR I finished the 14ers years ago and me and the old fogies like me hate facebook but still want to yell from our porch at trespassers.
7%
4) Yes. I like how worldly I feel when I learn about all the things to do outside away from my mom's basement and my puter.
6%
5) NO! I am very narrow-minded and self-centered and don't want any gibberish about cosmetology school being a good career path getting in the way of talking over the difference between C2 and C2+ routes.
7%
6) No. I want to only talk about those things related to mountaineering that 98.9% of the people on this site don't want to learn.
9%
7) No. I need to know whether a prussik, double granny prussik, or fireman's square knot is the best knot to anchor a 3 person belay so that I'm ready to rock the crags next month.
1%
8) No way; most of the assholes posting these stupid threads are from out of state and they should piss in their own well, not ours.
9%
9) Meh.
29%
10) Bill should take this thread down quickly, before we can DISCUSS!
12%

Total votes: 68
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Re: Get off my talus!

Post by Dave B »

shelly+ wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 9:54 am
highpilgrim wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 9:38 am
shelly+ wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 9:37 am puzzling, indeed. lol
I voted for number 8. :mrgreen:
Dave B wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 9:33 am I enjoy arguing.
Connect with the the Fitta. He'll hook you right up.
Dave B didn't seem to enjoy arguing we me so much. lol
I had a short period of thinking I should stop trying to argue with everyone all the time, Shelly. But that got pretty boring, so I'd be happy to argue with you now!
Make wilderness less accessible.
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

Dave B wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 10:35 am
shelly+ wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 9:54 am
highpilgrim wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 9:38 am

I voted for number 8. :mrgreen:

Connect with the the Fitta. He'll hook you right up.
Dave B didn't seem to enjoy arguing we me so much. lol
I had a short period of thinking I should stop trying to argue with everyone all the time, Shelly. But that got pretty boring, so I'd be happy to argue with you now!
11. YES! As long as shelly+ and Dave B are involved in those posts/discussions. :mrgreen:
Wentzl
14ers: 58  20 
13ers: 55
Trip Reports (49)

Post by Wentzl »

Option 3, because I am an old fogey with no other social media profile; but I did not cast a ballot because I do still climb mountains and don't consider the 14ers "lamo".

I always considered the forum as a room for discussion on a variety of topics by people who share an underlying interest; not a room for a broad spectrum of people to talk about only mountains.

Hey Bill, what was your intent when you created it?
Shorter of Breath and One Day Closer . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZXKgl8turY

"Social Justice" = Injustice
docinco
14ers: 50 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by docinco »

amen.
Last edited by docinco on Mon May 10, 2021 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
painless4u2
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (8)

Post by painless4u2 »

Well, Comrade, another category might be "Six Degrees of Mountain Discussion". Similar to Six degrees of Kevin Bacon, if you can tie something to mountains within 6 degrees, you're good. Mainly I come here to argue whether Bross can be legally climbed and the merits of the 3000' rule. And of course to spar with you, Comrade.
Bad decisions often make good stories.

IPAs + Ambien = "14ers" post (Bill M.)

In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps. Proverbs 16:9
hellmanm
13ers: 45 1
Trip Reports (7)

Post by hellmanm »

I like the threads to be (almost) exclusively about things related to the mountains. They can be tangentially related, but it has to tie back in some way for me to want to pay attention. I know that most posters can give high-quality thoughts when it comes to hiking/climbing-related things. Everything else... well... it's more of a toss-up whether or not high-quality perspectives and information will dominate the thread.

Basically, I come to a forum about mountains in order to think about things related to the mountains. I'm not going to lose sleep over posts that don't fit... but I'm also not going to read them or contribute to them.
cedica
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cedica »

Wentzl wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 11:42 am I always considered the forum as a room for discussion on a variety of topics by people who share an underlying interest; not a room for a broad spectrum of people to talk about only mountains.
circle.jpg
circle.jpg (11.53 KiB) Viewed 3596 times
My understanding is that this forum was intended to be a hangout, something like CBGB or The Haçienda of CO hiking and mountaineering, that just happens to be next door to extremely well equipped library where most of the books are either written or bound by Bill.

Why then would anybody be surprised or upset when drunken tourists come and start bawling and vomiting on the floor? Isn't this something that should be expected in the state that hopes to make more tourism dollars than previous year? Aren't locals supposed to go along with this, as long as tourists aren't burning books from the library next door, or use them for something unseemly? Thus my proposal from about year ago to start charging one TP roll per forum post, five or maybe even ten to start a thread.
12ersRule
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

When I went through Rolling Stones top 500 albums (i had a very boring job a few years ago) - I reviewed Eno's first album. Here was my take on it:

432 - Brian Eno - Here come the warm jets. Meh to possibly Yay. Weird, I didn’t know that he was a musician too (other than the David Byrne album about 8 years ago). I knew that he was probably one of the world’s most renowned producers (U2). This is pretty experimental and not too radio friendly, probably the reason I didn’t know about him as a musician. No idea if I’ll take to this after a few listens or not. It’s definitely out there. Standout tracks: Baby’s On Fire, Blank Frank, Dead Finks Don’t Talk. 11/30/17.

Still haven't gone back for a listen.

I raved about Portishead though!

419 - Portishead - Dummy. Yay. Trip hop at its finest. I’ve known this one for a while. It’s one of my rainy day go-tos. Very hard to believe this came out in 1994. Still sounds really new. They sound even better live: Roseland NYC Live is one of the best live albums you’ll find.
Standout tracks: Mysterons,Sour Times, Strangers,Glory Box (check out the live version too!). 12/5/17.
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (39)

Post by justiner »

Eno is a g/d legend. Have you ever gone to work wearing pink silk gloves, a leopard print jacket, making sounds using an oscillator - and you just took off from there?!

I was so hoping from the Edgar Winters/Brian Eno collab but it doesn't seem like it'll ever happen.

cedica
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cedica »

12ersRule wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 2:00 pm I raved about Portishead though!
Imho Dummy is OK, second (eponymous) album is getting there, but Third is the rapture. It is DF Wallace of 21st century albums, it is meta as f**k, it will lull you into thinking that you understand what it is about, just to dismantle you into oblivion on the next listening.
Wentzl
14ers: 58  20 
13ers: 55
Trip Reports (49)

Post by Wentzl »

This one for cedica. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MppzJdoFNSA

and for anyone else who is curious:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcWMiWhnxNk
Shorter of Breath and One Day Closer . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZXKgl8turY

"Social Justice" = Injustice
Alpinefroggy
14ers: 29  2 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Alpinefroggy »

The whole concept of people being angry about people being angry about stuff not related to mointains gives me mountains of anger. Let's all get angry!!!!!!

That's what were're supposed to do, right?