Uncompahgre or Red Cloud?

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
LaneS
Trip Reports (0)

Uncompahgre or Red Cloud?

Post by LaneS »

For a new climber who takes a little while to get acclimated which peak is the best to start on between these two? I heard that although Umcomahgre is a longer hike to get there it's a little more of a gentle climb and that the views along the way are great. I don't know a lot about Red Cloud other than it will be in the general area of where I'm staying.
highpilgrim
14ers: 58 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Uncompahgre or Red Cloud?

Post by highpilgrim »

Unc is a pleasant hike throughout. Wonderful grassy basin, only one little talus/rocky field to cross near the summit plateau. And as a bonus: awesome view of a future more challenging peak in Wetterhorn.

A great hike, all around. Red Cloud nice but a distant second.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
HikerGuy
13ers: 426 8
Trip Reports (9)

Post by HikerGuy »

Uncompahgre all the way, one of the prettiest 14ers IMO. This assumes your vehicle can get to the trailhead. If not, Redcloud might be better.
nunns
14ers: 43 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nunns »

I will be the contrarian and say Red Cloud. If you get to the top and don't feel too bad, you can always head on over the Sunshine; it's not too far away.
You can climb them both from your tent at the Mill Creek campground if that makes things easier, although I will say that is a TOUGH trail that hits you almost immediately.

Uncompahgre is a great mountain, but to me it was tougher. Probably because I was climbing it the same day as Wetterhorn. Climbing those 2 in one day is a much taller order.

Sean Nunn
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains." --Psalms 36:6
mountainrev
14ers: 20 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mountainrev »

I agree about Uncompahgre being a prettier and more fun climb than Redcloud (and Sunshine). But the biggest factor in your decision will be your vehicle. If you want to park at or near the Uncompahgre trailhead, you'll need a high-clearance 4x4. You can get to the Red Cloud trailhead with a normal passenger vehicle.
DaveLanders
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DaveLanders »

It depends on when you're coming and whether or not you have a 4wd vehicle. If the Nellie Creek road is open and you have 4wd, then Uncompahgre is easier. If not, then Redcloud is easier by a wide margin. But the easiest 14er in the area for a person who's just getting acclimated would be Handies from American Basin
Every village has at least one idiot. Successful villages choose someone else to be their leader.
strayster2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by strayster2 »

Uncompahgre was a top 5 hike for me in terms of beauty and fun. I did it from the 2WD parking on the Henson Creek Rd and I didn't feel like the Nellie Creek Rd added too much effort (though you should take this with a grain of salt since I loooooove hikes from 2WD parking).

Redcloud/Sunshine is nice (great views of Handies on the way down) but in retrospect they feel more like check marks than hikes I actually enjoyed.
disentangled
Trip Reports (0)

Post by disentangled »

strayster2 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 11:33 am Uncompahgre was a top 5 hike for me in terms of beauty and fun. I did it from the 2WD parking on the Henson Creek Rd and I didn't feel like the Nellie Creek Rd added too much effort (though you should take this with a grain of salt since I loooooove hikes from 2WD parking).
Funny... I very much like hikes from the 2WD TH as well. Weirdos. :)
strayster2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by strayster2 »

shelly+ wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 11:40 am
I see you've yet to do Antero. That's an unsung 2WD TH classic. Highly recommend :-D
disentangled
Trip Reports (0)

Post by disentangled »

strayster2 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 11:55 am
I see you've yet to do Antero. That's an unsung 2WD TH classic. Highly recommend :-D
noted. :)
mtn_hound
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtn_hound »

shelly+ wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 12:45 pm
It most certainly is not unsung. I see more complaining on here about hikes from that 2WD TH than any other.
disentangled
Trip Reports (0)

Post by disentangled »

mtn_hound wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 1:25 pm
shelly+ wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 12:45 pm

It most certainly is not unsung. I see more complaining on here about hikes from that 2WD TH than any other.
hahaha.... complainers suck (she says).