Overnighting at Huron

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Lummp
Trip Reports (0)

Overnighting at Huron

Post by Lummp »

Hey all,

FNG here returning to attempt Huron again after being chased off 100 feet from the peak due to summer storms rolling through. Will be in the area June 8-18. This time, I've got in my crazy little head that I want to hit Huron midday and get the basin in the afternoon, setup a UL campsite, and then summit the peak starting 3-4AM to catch the sunrise at the peak. Is this just complete dumbassery or something to be reasonably achieved? I do a bit of UL winter hiking in the lower Appalachians (GA/NC/TN), so I feel confident in my gear and leg strength. No so much in lung capacity. Last time I was at Huron, I remember seeing a tent or two near the little pond at 12.5' elevation, so I assume this has been done before with success. *Note, I'll be doing this solo.

Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated. Will also be hitting La Plata and possibly Belford/Oxford if I'm feeling feisty.

Thanks,

William
Ptglhs
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 86 3
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Overnighting at Huron

Post by Ptglhs »

Nothing stopping you from camping in the Back country, just follow standard rules about distance from trail and water sources. If you're not acclimated then you won't sleep well up that high. Trying to sleep in air with less O2 than you're used to leads to headaches, constantly waking up, and just a pretty uncomfortable night.

I've done a significant portion of my 14ers as overnights because I loathe getting up early for driving/hiking. Backpacking in to treeline, sleeping til 6ish, starting by 7, and being on the summit by 10 is ideal for me. I know you were wanting to start earlier.
dwoodward13
14ers: 58  12 
13ers: 157 6
Trip Reports (1)

Post by dwoodward13 »

Its possible that area will still have snow, and if not snow probably mud that early in the season. As far as LNT goes, camping on snow would be fine, but mud...less so. Above treeline camping is somewhat frowned upon, but if you do, try and find a spot people have already camped at instead of making a new spot. Summer monsoon usually won't have started yet, so the risk of afternoon thunderstorms would be low. It probably will be decently cold and maybe windy however.

If it were me, I'd probably just camp at the trailhead and get up a few hours earlier to get the sunrise and not have to mess with taking camp up, and possibly sleeping poorly due to the altitude and/or weather.
cottonmountaineering
14ers: 58  7  18 
13ers: 178 38 31
Trip Reports (1)

Post by cottonmountaineering »

+1 to huron still having snow, you should be able to make it to winfield fine though
Tim A
14ers: 28  3 
13ers: 51 1
Trip Reports (18)

Post by Tim A »

If you’re reasonably fit you can probably hike from Winfield to that meadow in 1.5-2 hours, so you aren’t saving much mileage or time by sleeping up there in the snow and wind. You’ll get a much better night’s sleep down in the forest and it saves you the trouble of schlepping your kit up those switchbacks.
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

Tim A wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:37 pm If you’re reasonably fit you can probably hike from Winfield to that meadow in 1.5-2 hours, so you aren’t saving much mileage or time by sleeping up there in the snow and wind. You’ll get a much better night’s sleep down in the forest and it saves you the trouble of schlepping your kit up those switchbacks.
agree. it’s so short via the standard route— i started at 3am once and deeply regretted it. the views are too good to walk up in the dark
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

It will still be snow climb that early in the season.
Icy crust at night to midmorning.
Boot-sucking slush in afternoon.
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

Very likely snow at 12500 in early june. I'd camp at TH, or if you feeling frisky, possibly in the trees. But you won't save much time in morning. If you only going up 1000 feet. About an hour.

Check out the trip reports advanced search, select only june, and see how much snow there is generally

https://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripmain.php
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche