3-5 day trip to hike 14ers

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
User avatar
Dan_Suitor
Posts: 638
Joined: 4/23/2012
14ers: 58 1
13ers: 60
Trip Reports (3)

Re: 3-5 day trip to hike 14ers

Post by Dan_Suitor » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:16 am

ltlFish99 wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:06 pm
Sbenfield wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:50 pm
From the Lake City area you have good access to Handies Pk, Sunshine Pk, Redcloud Pk, Uncompaghre Pk & Wetterhorn Pk. All those are peaks are easy to moderate apart from Wetterhorn which does have Class 3 section at the top
+1 on the above recommendations. I was in that area twice this summer and it was great.

If camping at grizzly gulch trailhead, bring earplugs since that is on cinnamon pass and the OHVs run up and down that road until late at night.
Another +1 on this, including the warning about Grizzly Gulch TH camping. I highly recommend Handies from Grizzly Gulch over American Basin. Also, make sure you have a good vehicle when venturing back there. The roads get rougher the further back you go.
Century Bound, eventually.
User avatar
CaptCO
Posts: 1769
Joined: 7/14/2019
14ers: 58 14
13ers: 45 1
Trip Reports (5)
Contact:

Re: 3-5 day trip to hike 14ers

Post by CaptCO » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:31 am

I’ve camped at grizzly twice without issue. Probably since I didn’t go on 4th of July weekend. Amazing area to camp
"It's a thing if you want it to be a thing. What others think of something is irrelevant." -OldSchool

Proof is in the progress, patience is essence; I’m crazy as a fox

"The future no longer belongs to my generation"

DM @Capt_Alec for nudes
User avatar
Dan_Suitor
Posts: 638
Joined: 4/23/2012
14ers: 58 1
13ers: 60
Trip Reports (3)

Re: 3-5 day trip to hike 14ers

Post by Dan_Suitor » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:08 am

CaptCO wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:31 am
I’ve camped at grizzly twice without issue. Probably since I didn’t go on 4th of July weekend. Amazing area to camp
I have too, and certainly would do it again for the convenience. Just warning the OP who is planning on spending 3-5 days there. Here is the view and proximity to the road.
Attachments
WP_20140823_035.jpg
WP_20140823_035.jpg (134.65 KiB) Viewed 837 times
WP_20140824_036.jpg
WP_20140824_036.jpg (155.42 KiB) Viewed 837 times
Century Bound, eventually.
PJ88
Posts: 60
Joined: 5/11/2020
14ers: 17
13ers: 5

Re: 3-5 day trip to hike 14ers

Post by PJ88 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:40 am

Dan_Suitor wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:16 am
ltlFish99 wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:06 pm
Sbenfield wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:50 pm
From the Lake City area you have good access to Handies Pk, Sunshine Pk, Redcloud Pk, Uncompaghre Pk & Wetterhorn Pk. All those are peaks are easy to moderate apart from Wetterhorn which does have Class 3 section at the top
+1 on the above recommendations. I was in that area twice this summer and it was great.

If camping at grizzly gulch trailhead, bring earplugs since that is on cinnamon pass and the OHVs run up and down that road until late at night.
Another +1 on this, including the warning about Grizzly Gulch TH camping. I highly recommend Handies from Grizzly Gulch over American Basin. Also, make sure you have a good vehicle when venturing back there. The roads get rougher the further back you go.
I'm planning a camping trip there this coming summer. From everything I have read it sounds like you should be able to get most cars up to Grizzly Gulch without issue as long as it is dry and you are careful. Past that it gets iffy. Is that pretty accurate?
User avatar
CaptCO
Posts: 1769
Joined: 7/14/2019
14ers: 58 14
13ers: 45 1
Trip Reports (5)
Contact:

Re: 3-5 day trip to hike 14ers

Post by CaptCO » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:40 am

PJ88 wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:40 am
Dan_Suitor wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:16 am
ltlFish99 wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:06 pm


+1 on the above recommendations. I was in that area twice this summer and it was great.

If camping at grizzly gulch trailhead, bring earplugs since that is on cinnamon pass and the OHVs run up and down that road until late at night.
Another +1 on this, including the warning about Grizzly Gulch TH camping. I highly recommend Handies from Grizzly Gulch over American Basin. Also, make sure you have a good vehicle when venturing back there. The roads get rougher the further back you go.
I'm planning a camping trip there this coming summer. From everything I have read it sounds like you should be able to get most cars up to Grizzly Gulch without issue as long as it is dry and you are careful. Past that it gets iffy. Is that pretty accurate?
There was some gnarly sections from several weeks ago which should be cleared up by next summer and sedan accessible.
"It's a thing if you want it to be a thing. What others think of something is irrelevant." -OldSchool

Proof is in the progress, patience is essence; I’m crazy as a fox

"The future no longer belongs to my generation"

DM @Capt_Alec for nudes
PJ88
Posts: 60
Joined: 5/11/2020
14ers: 17
13ers: 5

Re: 3-5 day trip to hike 14ers

Post by PJ88 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:46 am

CaptCO wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:40 am
PJ88 wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:40 am
Dan_Suitor wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:16 am

Another +1 on this, including the warning about Grizzly Gulch TH camping. I highly recommend Handies from Grizzly Gulch over American Basin. Also, make sure you have a good vehicle when venturing back there. The roads get rougher the further back you go.
I'm planning a camping trip there this coming summer. From everything I have read it sounds like you should be able to get most cars up to Grizzly Gulch without issue as long as it is dry and you are careful. Past that it gets iffy. Is that pretty accurate?
There was some gnarly sections from several weeks ago which should be cleared up by next summer and sedan accessible.
Awesome, thanks. I'll keep an eye on condition reports once summer hits. Plenty of easily accessible stuff to keep me busy before then.
User avatar
spiderman
Posts: 803
Joined: 9/26/2011
14ers: 58 3
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (1)

Re: 3-5 day trip to hike 14ers

Post by spiderman » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:36 pm

Scott P wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:20 pm

My four year old did Windom and it was a great trip:

https://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepo ... m=tripmine
Kessler the Sherpa Killer? Not wise to try to use him as a benchmark for mere mortals planning a trip where they want to return home alive.
Post Reply