3-5 day trip to hike 14ers

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
PJ88
14ers: 34 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (0)

Re: 3-5 day trip to hike 14ers

Post by PJ88 »

Dan_Suitor wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:16 am
ltlFish99 wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:06 pm
Sbenfield wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:50 pm From the Lake City area you have good access to Handies Pk, Sunshine Pk, Redcloud Pk, Uncompaghre Pk & Wetterhorn Pk. All those are peaks are easy to moderate apart from Wetterhorn which does have Class 3 section at the top
+1 on the above recommendations. I was in that area twice this summer and it was great.

If camping at grizzly gulch trailhead, bring earplugs since that is on cinnamon pass and the OHVs run up and down that road until late at night.
Another +1 on this, including the warning about Grizzly Gulch TH camping. I highly recommend Handies from Grizzly Gulch over American Basin. Also, make sure you have a good vehicle when venturing back there. The roads get rougher the further back you go.
I'm planning a camping trip there this coming summer. From everything I have read it sounds like you should be able to get most cars up to Grizzly Gulch without issue as long as it is dry and you are careful. Past that it gets iffy. Is that pretty accurate?
PJ88
14ers: 34 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (0)

Post by PJ88 »

CaptCO wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:40 am
PJ88 wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:40 am
Dan_Suitor wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:16 am
Another +1 on this, including the warning about Grizzly Gulch TH camping. I highly recommend Handies from Grizzly Gulch over American Basin. Also, make sure you have a good vehicle when venturing back there. The roads get rougher the further back you go.
I'm planning a camping trip there this coming summer. From everything I have read it sounds like you should be able to get most cars up to Grizzly Gulch without issue as long as it is dry and you are careful. Past that it gets iffy. Is that pretty accurate?
There was some gnarly sections from several weeks ago which should be cleared up by next summer and sedan accessible.
Awesome, thanks. I'll keep an eye on condition reports once summer hits. Plenty of easily accessible stuff to keep me busy before then.
spiderman
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (1)

Post by spiderman »

Scott P wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:20 pm
My four year old did Windom and it was a great trip:

https://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepo ... m=tripmine
Kessler the Sherpa Killer? Not wise to try to use him as a benchmark for mere mortals planning a trip where they want to return home alive.