Looking to Improve my Confidence

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
daway8
14ers: 58  24 
13ers: 155 29
Trip Reports (70)

Re: Looking to Improve my Confidence

Post by daway8 »

angry wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:07 pm
daway8 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:58 pm
jasayrevt wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:38 pm ...If you climbed Capitol Pk, you will be fine on any 13er
Hmm, not to sidetrack a good thread but from what I've heard there are several 13ers that are significantly harder than Capitol and which include class 5 on the standard route - something not the case for any standard 14er route... Though I see your 13er count is significantly higher than mine so perhaps I'm just hearing overhyped reports on some of the ones I haven't done yet?
I don't know of any standard 14er route that has any class 5 (including all of the traverses, those are pretty tame). Only class 5 I can think of that I've done on any 14er at all is most recently Ellingwood Arete on the the Needle. I can think of more 13ers that had felt like some actual climbing even if it was short lived.
Yes, that's my point - there is no class 5 on the 14ers unless you're on a non-standard route but I thought I'd heard tale of at least a few 13ers where the only way up was to hit some class 5.
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

nunns wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:15 am
So really the age distribute out about evenly between young 'uns (under 30), middle age (40-50), and older people (older for climbers, not in an absolute sense) (55+).
This thought has not escaped me as I have moved through the first 2 categories and am now poised to break into the third category.
You can replace some, but not all, of the advantages of youth with better, more specific preparation and experience.
I think if you normalize the stats by how many climb in each age group, the oldsters would be more likely to perish. From my observations the majority of 14er hikers are under age 35. Perhaps with a secondary group in 50s and 60s early retired. Perhaps someone has counted the age distribution.

Unfortunately as of today I have to add a 12th data point- female, age 60, unknown cause. Remember each of these were living people, a son/daughter, husband/wife, father/mother with grieving loved ones.
Conor
14ers: 41  6  6 
13ers: 51 1 1
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Conor »

daway8 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:25 pm
angry wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:07 pm
daway8 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:58 pm

Hmm, not to sidetrack a good thread but from what I've heard there are several 13ers that are significantly harder than Capitol and which include class 5 on the standard route - something not the case for any standard 14er route... Though I see your 13er count is significantly higher than mine so perhaps I'm just hearing overhyped reports on some of the ones I haven't done yet?
I don't know of any standard 14er route that has any class 5 (including all of the traverses, those are pretty tame). Only class 5 I can think of that I've done on any 14er at all is most recently Ellingwood Arete on the the Needle. I can think of more 13ers that had felt like some actual climbing even if it was short lived.
Yes, that's my point - there is no class 5 on the 14ers unless you're on a non-standard route but I thought I'd heard tale of at least a few 13ers where the only way up was to hit some class 5.
All the 13ers are for the most part pretty tame as well. Assuming we're talking standard routes.
angry
14ers: 58  45 
13ers: 231 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by angry »

Conor wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:23 pm All the 13ers are for the most part pretty tame as well. Assuming we're talking standard routes.
true story. can we go hit some non-tame routes together?!! it's gotta happen one of these days!!
daway8
Trip Reports (70)

Post by daway8 »

angry wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:52 pm
Conor wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:23 pm All the 13ers are for the most part pretty tame as well. Assuming we're talking standard routes.
true story. can we go hit some non-tame routes together?!! it's gotta happen one of these days!!
What about the likes of Jagged and Dallas? If I'm not mistaken I think those are 2 of the peaks where I hear of people typically being roped in. Maybe not a biggie for experienced climbers but from the little I've heard I get the impression they're a significant step up in difficulty vs any of the 14er standard routes...
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Post by bergsteigen »

daway8 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:06 pm
What about the likes of Jagged and Dallas? If I'm not mistaken I think those are 2 of the peaks where I hear of people typically being roped in. Maybe not a biggie for experienced climbers but from the little I've heard I get the impression they're a significant step up in difficulty vs any of the 14er standard routes...
Capitol is a super highway compared to some of the 13ers out there. When you dig a little deeper than the standard Centennials (or even Bi’s) and the Front Range gimmies, the 13ers hold many challenges. But most won’t ascend those peaks. I hike 14ers to remember what an established route/trail is. Being able to hike Capitol isn’t a pathway to all the 13ers. A start, but that’s it.
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina
cfischer
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cfischer »

Hey everyone, thanks for all the positive feedback. I turned 35 this year. Wisdom and experience have made me a more cautious outdoors person, but sometimes being overly cautious is what stands in my. An example is looking up at Skywalker Couloir a few years ago and finding myself thinking that I had the skill, but not the soundness of mind to climb it.

It has been a long road to recovery my fitness since a major surgery back in 2014, so I'm a bit sensitive about how fit or not fit I am, but the points are well take: 8 miles isn't exactly a long distance. My exercise routine combines strength, cardio, and balance, and have already noticed improvements to my balance.

I appreciate the sentiment about using fear as a way to clue oneself into their surroundings. I did a fair amount of winter backpacking and hiking in the Whites back east, and some of that terrain certainly felt more technical that what I've encountered here.

From all your feedback, it sounds like I'm in the right path. A combination of more practice and experience, plus a gradual reacclimation to exposure through low committal trails and climbing will probably work well. It has been an uphill battle to relearn how to trust my body.

Thanks again for all the great advice and positive support.
daway8
Trip Reports (70)

Post by daway8 »

cfischer wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:43 am Hey everyone, thanks for all the positive feedback. I turned 35 this year. Wisdom and experience have made me a more cautious outdoors person, but sometimes being overly cautious is what stands in my. An example is looking up at Skywalker Couloir a few years ago and finding myself thinking that I had the skill, but not the soundness of mind to climb it.

It has been a long road to recovery my fitness since a major surgery back in 2014, so I'm a bit sensitive about how fit or not fit I am, but the points are well take: 8 miles isn't exactly a long distance. My exercise routine combines strength, cardio, and balance, and have already noticed improvements to my balance.

I appreciate the sentiment about using fear as a way to clue oneself into their surroundings. I did a fair amount of winter backpacking and hiking in the Whites back east, and some of that terrain certainly felt more technical that what I've encountered here.

From all your feedback, it sounds like I'm in the right path. A combination of more practice and experience, plus a gradual reacclimation to exposure through low committal trails and climbing will probably work well. It has been an uphill battle to relearn how to trust my body.

Thanks again for all the great advice and positive support.
Yes, you seem to have the right approach in mind - best of luck as you slowly get back at it!
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Post by bergsteigen »

I was wondering if there was some accident/surgery involved. I shattered my leg in a pretty traumatic accident on Maroon in 2014. From that I have a titanium rod in my tibia and multiple surgeries. (I also broke it again in 2015 & 2018). I had to relearn how to walk again. I remember my first scramble on Mt Neva and how the exposure and terrain effected me. I was glad to have friends around me, as that gave me quite a bit of confidence, even though I was slower than normal.

So I understand how you are feeling, and have gone through it multiple times. I found that serious strength training helped not only with rebuilding muscle, but it helped with stability and balance (it also got rid of the pain in my leg). It is a slow rebuilding process both physically as well as mentally. I’m still rebuilding my ski brain after the 2018 trauma. My speed isn’t back to previous, but my endurance has returned.
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

peter303 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:22 pm
nunns wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:15 am
So really the age distribute out about evenly between young 'uns (under 30), middle age (40-50), and older people (older for climbers, not in an absolute sense) (55+).
This thought has not escaped me as I have moved through the first 2 categories and am now poised to break into the third category.
You can replace some, but not all, of the advantages of youth with better, more specific preparation and experience.
I think if you normalize the stats by how many climb in each age group, the oldsters would be more likely to perish. From my observations the majority of 14er hikers are under age 35. Perhaps with a secondary group in 50s and 60s early retired. Perhaps someone has counted the age distribution.

Unfortunately as of today I have to add a 12th data point- female, age 60, unknown cause. Remember each of these were living people, a son/daughter, husband/wife, father/mother with grieving loved ones.
I really hope you're not a statistician.
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
cfischer
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cfischer »

For me, it was open heart surgery for a congenital heart condition. It's only recently that I realized that all my PT focussed on opening up my chest, and I lost a lot of the core and stabilizing muscles. So, that's one of my focusses in my exercise courses.

I'm thinking if heading out to Missouri Peak this weekened, and splitting over two days.
bergsteigen wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:09 am I was wondering if there was some accident/surgery involved. I shattered my leg in a pretty traumatic accident on Maroon in 2014. From that I have a titanium rod in my tibia and multiple surgeries. (I also broke it again in 2015 & 2018). I had to relearn how to walk again. I remember my first scramble on Mt Neva and how the exposure and terrain effected me. I was glad to have friends around me, as that gave me quite a bit of confidence, even though I was slower than normal.

So I understand how you are feeling, and have gone through it multiple times. I found that serious strength training helped not only with rebuilding muscle, but it helped with stability and balance (it also got rid of the pain in my leg). It is a slow rebuilding process both physically as well as mentally. I’m still rebuilding my ski brain after the 2018 trauma. My speed isn’t back to previous, but my endurance has returned.
Conor
14ers: 41  6  6 
13ers: 51 1 1
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Conor »

Yes! Let's do it. Just got back from boo-tah and headed to red rocks this week, supposed to do an SJ trip last week of Oct, then my schedule opens up.
daway8 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:06 pm
Lizard head is probably the hardest ranked 13er. The rest, although I may just be flapping my lips from the comfort of my home as I haven't climbed them, seem pretty tame. Ropes or technical equipment doesn't always equate to climbing difficulty.
Annotation 2020-10-18 225117.jpg
Annotation 2020-10-18 225117.jpg (68.15 KiB) Viewed 2797 times