Camp options Mt Ouray

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
C Wiehle
Posts: 12
Joined: 8/4/2019
14ers: List not added

Re: Camp options Mt Ouray

Post by C Wiehle » Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:49 am

One more thing if I may. Where might I find a map for compass use? The 14ers map for ouray seems to be for a different area and not the mountain.
User avatar
cougar
Posts: 888
Joined: 8/9/2007
14ers: 44 2
13ers: 85 2
Trip Reports (10)
Contact:

Re: Camp options Mt Ouray

Post by cougar » Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:43 am

C Wiehle wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:49 am
One more thing if I may. Where might I find a map for compass use? The 14ers map for ouray seems to be for a different area and not the mountain.
you can buy regional trail maps in town that cover all the mountains, roads, and valley, lots of outdoor shops sell them, Salida has a few mountain bike and paddling outfitter shops that sell these maps. They can also help you with info on local camping and trails. For local detailed maps for a specific hike, I will print off caltopo.com

Also, with Sept being hunting season, dispersed campsites are busier than the rest of the year, some hunters and outfitter guides set up large base camps with RVs and ATVs, mostly in the higher areas like Marshall Pass vs closer to town, as they tend go where the elk are, if they got tags for that area. Although there are hunters out all over, there's still a lot of hikers in the area. I camped in both these spots this past July 4 and had no problem finding a quiet spot, despite the town being busy.

Don't confuse Mt Ouray with the town of Ouray in the San Juans.
http://www.listsofjohn.com/m/cougar

"If we don't change direction, we'll end up where we're going."
"Bushwhacking is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get."
"Don't give up on your dreams, stay asleep"
C Wiehle
Posts: 12
Joined: 8/4/2019
14ers: List not added

Re: Camp options Mt Ouray

Post by C Wiehle » Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:49 am

cougar wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:43 am
C Wiehle wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:49 am
One more thing if I may. Where might I find a map for compass use? The 14ers map for ouray seems to be for a different area and not the mountain.
you can buy regional trail maps in town that cover all the mountains, roads, and valley, lots of outdoor shops sell them, Salida has a few mountain bike and paddling outfitter shops that sell these maps. They can also help you with info on local camping and trails. For local detailed maps for a specific hike, I will print off caltopo.com

Also, with Sept being hunting season, dispersed campsites are busier than the rest of the year, some hunters and outfitter guides set up large base camps with RVs and ATVs, mostly in the higher areas like Marshall Pass vs closer to town, as they tend go where the elk are, if they got tags for that area. Although there are hunters out all over, there's still a lot of hikers in the area. I camped in both these spots this past July 4 and had no problem finding a quiet spot, despite the town being busy.

Don't confuse Mt Ouray with the town of Ouray in the San Juans.
Thanks and yes I was confusing Mt Ouray with the town of Ouray. I will look at caltopo.
User avatar
Jim Davies
Posts: 7496
Joined: 6/8/2006
14ers: 58 1
13ers: 63
Trip Reports (5)

Re: Camp options Mt Ouray

Post by Jim Davies » Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:59 am

Grays Creek has room to camp, along the road. It's also a good way to climb the peak - Roach's 13er book has two routes, basically the two ridges surrounding the Devil's Armchair cirque. This is one of them: https://www.13ers.com/route.php?route=2 ... type=13ers
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
User avatar
Marcos
Posts: 73
Joined: 4/30/2008
14ers: List not added
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Camp options Mt Ouray

Post by Marcos » Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:15 pm

If you take the 4WD road NW of Marshall Pass (I.e., the CT and Monarch Crest) there's a nice dispersed campsite on the right about a mile up. There's also space for one tent at the end of the 4WD road. You will have a lot of bikes whizzing by you if you pick that last option.

The Devil's Armchair route is longer but more interesting. Some really nice bristlecones at treeline. Water can be scarce once you leave Gray's Creek, though.

CR 250/251/252 are easy options for dispersed camping near Salida, although this year has been exceptionally crowded up there on the weekends.
C Wiehle
Posts: 12
Joined: 8/4/2019
14ers: List not added

Re: Camp options Mt Ouray

Post by C Wiehle » Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:52 pm

Marcos wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:15 pm
If you take the 4WD road NW of Marshall Pass (I.e., the CT and Monarch Crest) there's a nice dispersed campsite on the right about a mile up. There's also space for one tent at the end of the 4WD road. You will have a lot of bikes whizzing by you if you pick that last option.

The Devil's Armchair route is longer but more interesting. Some really nice bristlecones at treeline. Water can be scarce once you leave Gray's Creek, though.

CR 250/251/252 are easy options for dispersed camping near Salida, although this year has been exceptionally crowded up there on the weekends.
Thanks, I am doing the devils armchair route which I believe is the East ridge route. I think I accidentally said I was doing the west route.
User avatar
RJ_Greenhorn24
Posts: 97
Joined: 10/18/2016
14ers: 7
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (10)

Re: Camp options Mt Ouray

Post by RJ_Greenhorn24 » Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:15 pm

C Wiehle wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:50 pm
Thanks for all the Ouray camp suggestions. Any suggestions for the arrival night near Salida?
There is a great spot on the right with a huge waterfall just passed Angel of Shavano Campground on 240, this also wouldn't be too out of the way for when you head to Marshall Pass.

https://goo.gl/maps/k7uzXyLAV4MeG3cu5
"I don't think you fully understand the consequences of your pickle thievery" - Classic summit conversation
Post Reply