Hiking in late September early October

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Idaho1
Trip Reports (0)

Hiking in late September early October

Post by Idaho1 »

Planned a trip to CO that has been delayed until late September early October. Going to attempt El Diente, Wilson Peak, Maroon Peak and Kit Carson. We are coming from the East and Midwest. Our past hiking trips have all been in July and August. What kind of weather is likely and do we have a good chance for snow? Thanks in advance
bunny256
14ers: 58  3  4 
13ers: 357 7 1
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Hiking in late September early October

Post by bunny256 »

That time of year can really go either way. I've hiked in a T shirt the second weekend of October some years, and wallowed in a foot of fresh snow the last weekend of September in others. That said, things will probably still be mostly dry for your trip. One thing to consider is colder overnight temps for camping. Otherwise I'd say it's certainly worth it to go and see.
LoJ
IG @i_heart_mountains
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

bunny256 wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:06 pm That time of year can really go either way.
This. Expect anything from summer to winter conditions. Come anyway. If the weather is bad, head for the nearby deserts.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

Idaho1 wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:00 pm Planned a trip to CO that has been delayed until late September early October. Going to attempt El Diente, Wilson Peak, Maroon Peak and Kit Carson. ...
The weather could be anyone's guess. One of my first trips to Colorado in the early 2000's was in November and we climbed Democrat in dry conditions, no snow and two light layers.

A couple years later, an early October trip brought a foot+ snowstorm and we had winter clothes on while doing Elbert postholing most of the way.

So to be safe, I'd have a few "easier to get" Class 1/2 peaks with paved trailheads in your backup plan since the first three peaks in your list above won't be fun in early loose unconsolidated snow.
Gandalf69
14ers: 31 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (8)

Post by Gandalf69 »

Angry snowmass
Angry snowmass
0927191041c.jpg (192.01 KiB) Viewed 2413 times
I agree, weather can be great or winter. I went to Capitol last year, end of September and was literally 1 day too late. Clear hiking into camp, snow and lightning on summit day, and cold hiking out, with snow all over the mountain. However, conditions can be great right before winter rolls in, not as crowded for sure.
"There's always the possibility that some a**hole will be offended." -Clint Eastwood, Escape from Alcatraz
"Life is cruel, why should the afterlife be any different".-Davey Jones
"The decision to triage us to death...I understand. I don't know that I would agree with it. Certainly not in retrospect because obviously I made it."-Beck Weathers, Dark side of Everest
wineguy
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 143
Trip Reports (7)

Post by wineguy »

I planned on climbing Hagerman Peak on Sept. 12, 2019. Hiked 1.5 hrs in the dark from Crystal and watched sunrise reveal this:
ElkSunrise.JPG
ElkSunrise.JPG (112.7 KiB) Viewed 2371 times
"Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs. I am haunted by waters." - Norman Maclean