Intro and San Juan Q's

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
sseliz1580
14ers: 29 
13ers: 28
Trip Reports (0)

Intro and San Juan Q's

Post by sseliz1580 »

Hi all,
I've been lurking here for a looong time, and finally coming out of my shell. Thank you to all the regular posters for your helpful information and pictures over the years.

Anyways, I live in Durango, and play around in the San Juans and La Platas. I'm not totally focused these days on completing the 14ers, but I am focused on getting on top of as many SJ peaks, from the 12'ers and up. I am starting to run out of the "easier" peaks though, and have had some issues this year with chickening out on class 3 cruxes and turning around. The most recent was V5 above Clear Lake, a simple short wall with good holds but I just froze up. Other times it's been in typical rotten San Juan gravel/rock that I have come to fear. If the rock is solid, I'm golden.

I'm great with partners, I'm very much a monkey-see-monkey-do climber but that's not how you get to be a confident climber, at least with good route finding skills. However, alone has it's issues as well....

Not sure if this post is really an introduction to start conversing more, a search for another local Durangotang for a partner, or advice on how to get over this mental block. Maybe all 3?

For some more direction, some milder Class 3 peaks that I've been eyeing for this year are Wilson Peak, CB cluster, Grizzly Peak (Pt 13,738), San Miguel Pk, Half Peak, Every Mtn, I'd LOOOVE to try Arrow/Vestal but I doubt with my description that that is in my range.....

Thanks for reading, sorry it's so scattered! Cheers!
nmjameswilson
14ers: 58 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Intro and San Juan Q's

Post by nmjameswilson »

There are two of us climbing Wilson Peak on the 8th of July if you want to meet that morning at the Rock of Ages TH and join us if that helps.
Conor
14ers: 41  6  6 
13ers: 51 1 1
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Conor »

I'm looking at potentially arrow/vestal over 4th of july and then thru hiking to grab jag and coming out at vallecito. if I can't find a partner, I'll just pay to shuttle. If you're comfortable on technical terrain and maybe just a mental block we can simul wham and set running belays without adding too much weight.
sseliz1580
Trip Reports (0)

Post by sseliz1580 »

nmjameswilson wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:42 am There are two of us climbing Wilson Peak on the 8th of July if you want to meet that morning at the Rock of Ages TH and join us if that helps.
Ooh I might be able to swing the 8th, I'll let you know closer to the date. Thanks for the invite.
sseliz1580
Trip Reports (0)

Post by sseliz1580 »

Conor wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:09 am I'm looking at potentially arrow/vestal over 4th of july and then thru hiking to grab jag and coming out at vallecito. if I can't find a partner, I'll just pay to shuttle. If you're comfortable on technical terrain and maybe just a mental block we can simul wham and set running belays without adding too much weight.
I'd love to, but planning an easier 4th weekend with my workaholic husband, who's more chicken than me! :-D Good luck, and if you live in the area, I'd love to give it a go some other time. I'd be more interested in a "quickie" trail run big day in/out than a big backpack though.
tmud
14ers: 22  1 
13ers: 162 11 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by tmud »

Hello my name is Tom, my girlfriend Liz and I also live in Durango and hike/climb san juan 13ers every weekend. You're welcome to join us anytime.