Sleeping Bags/Pads & Tents @ Boulder Field on Longs

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
1800adam
Trip Reports (0)

Sleeping Bags/Pads & Tents @ Boulder Field on Longs

Post by 1800adam »

I having a reservation for a camping spot in the boulder field early August..

I put in for 2 people but only have a 3 person tent. Is a 3 person tent too large for the spots in the boulder field. Is this a place where it’s better to have a tent footprint?

Also I only have a 30 degree sleeping bag, is this sufficient for the boulder field that time of year? If not, can I compensate for this by wearing long underwear/puffy inside my bag?

Is it best to purchase a Winter style (higher R-Value) sleeping pad for camping in the boulder field?

HALP!
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Re: Sleeping Bags/Pads & Tents @ Boulder Field on Longs

Post by pvnisher »

I haven't been to boulder field myself, but spent many many nights with a 30 bag. It will be fine. Layers and puffy (and warm hat) help a lot. If you aren't wearing everything you carried to bed then you're carrying too much.
Thicker pad will keep you warmer and more comfortable anyway. I always go for a thick warm pad.
markf
14ers: 56  2  9 
13ers: 21 1 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by markf »

How warm is your current pad? You can always bring a Z-lite pad (folding foam pad) to slide under your current pad.
mark
Alpine Guy
14ers: 40 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Alpine Guy »

You probably won't die but I think you'll wish you brought something warmer.
Roll No Rocks
rdp32
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rdp32 »

Depends on the bag. What brand is it? Also, as mentioned above, the sleeping pad is just as important for warmth as the bag
davebobk47
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 130 1 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by davebobk47 »

I used a 30 degree bag in the boulder field in Aug and had no issue. It has been while but my pad was one of the older thermarest pads (probably from around 2010).
"Mountains are not stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve. They are the cathedrals where I practice my religion." -Anatoli Boukreev
Frost12321
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Frost12321 »

thanks for sharing you experience, it will be useful for me!
Mtnman200
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 440
Trip Reports (85)

Post by Mtnman200 »

My sons and I camped at Boulder Field with a 4-person tent (94" x 86" footprint). Not all the sites at Boulder Field will accommodate a tent that large, but we found one that worked. The only issue was that we didn't have room to stake the rainfly the usual way, so instead we anchored the rainfly to the rocks surrounding the tent pad.
"Adventure without risk is not possible." - Reinhold Messner
ltlFish99
14ers: 49  3  2 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ltlFish99 »

The only time I spent the night there, we used a somewhat larger 3 person tent and had no problems.
Okiebouye
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Okiebouye »

It can get extremely windy at Boulderfield overnight. I had a small one man tent and it felt like it was going to blow away! Make sure you secure your tent down good with rocks at the corners.