Chicago Basin - and first 14'er advice sought

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
BSAdad
Trip Reports (0)

Chicago Basin - and first 14'er advice sought

Post by BSAdad »

Hoping for some friendly advice regarding the Chicago Basin and potentially bagging our first 14'er.

We have been planning a trip to the Chicago Basin for some time now and had originally planned on taking the Durango Silverton Narrow Guage train to Needleton to do the cresent route to Elk Pass. While the train has resumed service they are only going to Cascade - and will not provide transport to/from for backpackers. This has led to some scrambling in planning ..something that I am hoping to enlist some help with from here.

First, it is a family trip with myself and two pretty fit teenagers, a 15 yr old in Scouts (who is adament about LNT principles) and a 19 yr old lacrosse player. I am a former Ironman and current cyclist, so we are all in relatively good shape ...for low-landers from Alabama. My son and I have spent many a night in the backcountry and have done extended hikes on the Appalachain Trail. My daughter is relatively new to hiking but has taken to it like a duck to water.

Given the initial route planned we have the gear for backcountry hiking. I estimate our packs to be between 28-33lbs, including 5 days of food (but not water) and well within 20-25% of body weight range. Gear includes lightweight sleeping bags, shelter, stove, water filter, etc ...all that might be usable for the day hike up to the summit. However, we do not yet have any gear for traversing a 14'er and am hoping to get a read on recommended additions to the traditional day hike pack contents. (see question below)

Itinerary:

The route and day plan I am looking at is to go in to Purgatory Flat TH and to take two days to get to the Chicago Basin. (Sure It could be done in one but want to be careful about pushing too much as we acclimate to the altitude and want to err on the side of caution as I do not want to push too hard ... if we are feeling froggy we can always add miles to a day). We would set up base camp in the Chicago Basin near the trail leading up to Mount Eolus, which has been recommended. Early the following morning we would climb Mount Eolus and perhaps visit the twin lakes before descending back to base camp in the early afternoon (before the potential storms roll in). We would then take two days to hike out.

I know thatthis itinerary might sound more of a 'cake walk' to some but this trip is not about logging miles or the number of peaks bagged but introducing the kids (and myself) to the wonders of the Wemuniche Wilderness, the San Juans and the potential they have to do something like this. To that end, my goal is to make the trip as fun, easy and low-stress as I can ...in the hopes that if they bag one at least 14'er then they will be inspired to continue to do this as a family in summers to come.

Questions/advice sought:

So ... some beginner questions for this beginner forum:

- What additional equipment should we take for the summiting of Mount Eolus? We would pack a typical day-pack with food, stove, emergency shelter, first aid kit, water filter, rain gear ...but what else is recommended? For instance, rope? (length? diameter/type?), helmet? What else?
- How easy is it to follow the trail up Mount Eolus? Having traversed rock gardens in the backcountry I know that trail spotting can be difficult at best sometimes and am concerned about getting off-trail.
- How technical is the trail? Of the three 14'ers accessible to the Chicago Basin is Mount Eolus the right choice? Open to advice here ...
- Does anyone have a recommendation for a good, detailed topo map of the Chicago Basin? I have a Garmin inReach and will download the map available here but batteries fail/electronics break/etc. ...so I like to have a paper back-up. I already have the National Geographic #140 Weminuche Wilderness map but am hoping for something more detailed
- And, lastly, advice ... will take any that you give that would help make this a memorable and positive family trip, including general advice about the Chicago Basin, the proposed route and itinerary ...whatever you think important.

Thank you in advance for your help. Was thinking that we had the whole thing planned out as I had heard that the train was going to restart service, but didnt think it would be as limited as it is. That said, part of hiking the back country is rolling with the changes presented to you ...and, hopefully through this, making the best use of the information available. Thanks again.
Last edited by BSAdad on Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wombat
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Chicago Basin - and first 14'er advice sought

Post by wombat »

I think most people would agree that Windom is the easiest. Which you can parlay with Sunlight.

Helmet yes, rope probably not.

USGS Quad is Columbine pass. You can download for free. and use it off your phone’s ibooks or pdf reader.

https://store.usgs.gov/assets/MOD/Store ... 75_geo.pdf

I think most of your route questions are best answered by the 14ers.com route maps and descriptions.

E.g https://www.14ers.com/routelist.php?pea ... light+Peak
nunns
14ers: 43 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nunns »

When you are asking about equipment, do you mean for the entire backcountry excursion, or just for your daytrip on Eolus or Windom?
Because for the daytrip, you can leave the stove and a lot of other stuff back at camp. Go light and fast, take enough food and water, as someone said a helmet, enough warm clothes, a small emergency kit, and whatever you need to navigate. That's about it.
From what I hear the catwalk on Eolus is pretty narrow with exposure on both sides so you want to prepare mentally for that. As others have said, read route descriptions and trip reports and you should be good.

Sean Nunn
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains." --Psalms 36:6
Mtnman200
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 440
Trip Reports (85)

Post by Mtnman200 »

Windom is definitely the easiest of the Chicago Basin 14ers but still a lot of fun, with great views. You might want to consider Windom instead of Eolus for a first 14er, especially if you're unsure how your group will react to the exposure on Eolus.
"Adventure without risk is not possible." - Reinhold Messner
Rollie Free
14ers: 45 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Rollie Free »

You are obviously coming from some direction and I am assuming it will be from the East. Don't you think a pit stop for a less strenuous 14er would be a good idea? It would help you acclimate both mentally and physically. Something like Bierstadt or Quandry really isn't a great time commitment. Probably a morning and part of an afternoon when all(transportation and climb time) is factored. It would give you an idea of what is needed. Sounds like you've got a good base and all but the first time for a flatlander can be a bit of a shock. Just knowing what to expect can be extremely helpful.
"Quicker than I can tell it, my hands failed to hold, my feet slipped, and down I went with almost an arrow’s rapidity. An eternity of thought, of life, of death, wife, and home concentrated on my mind in those two seconds. Fortunately for me, I threw my right arm around a projecting boulder which stood above the icy plain some two or three feet." Rev. Elijah Lamb
tmud
14ers: 22  1 
13ers: 162 12 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by tmud »

Just a heads up, Fort Lewis College does field a lacrosse team and we need some more players, so feel free to drop the lax player off in Durango after completing the trip. :)
climbingcue
14ers: 58  8  27 
13ers: 319 23 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbingcue »

Rollie Free wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:58 am You are obviously coming from some direction and I am assuming it will be from the East. Don't you think a pit stop for a less strenuous 14er would be a good idea? It would help you acclimate both mentally and physically. Something like Bierstadt or Quandry really isn't a great time commitment. Probably a morning and part of an afternoon when all(transportation and climb time) is factored. It would give you an idea of what is needed. Sounds like you've got a good base and all but the first time for a flatlander can be a bit of a shock. Just knowing what to expect can be extremely helpful.
I agree, it is a 16 mile trip just to to get the Basin one way. You will be coming from sea level, so you are basically going to be above 8k feet from the start of the hike and not much below that. No one knows exactly how they are going to feel at elevation until you get there. It adds a bunch of possible issues that will be very hard to deal with if you are 16 miles from the road. It is an amazing area, but I would recommend something much shorter for your 1st 14er. You want your kids to enjoy the experience.

Good luck and have a great trip on whatever you decide.
Bill
Consecutive months with at least one 13er or 14er, 73 months
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

BSAdad wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:17 am \

So ... some beginner questions for this beginner forum:

- What additional equipment should we take for the summiting of Mount Eolus? We would pack a typical day-pack with food, stove, emergency shelter, first aid kit, water filter, rain gear ...but what else is recommended? For instance, rope? (length? diameter/type?), helmet? What else?
- How easy is it to follow the trail up Mount Eolus? Having traversed rock gardens in the backcountry I know that trail spotting can be difficult at best sometimes and am concerned about getting off-trail.
- How technical is the trail? Of the three 14'ers accessible to the Chicago Basin is Mount Eolus the right choice? Open to advice here ...
- Does anyone have a recommendation for a good, detailed topo map of the Chicago Basin? I have a Garmin inReach and will download the map available here but batteries fail/electronics break/etc. ...so I like to have a paper back-up. I already have the National Geographic #140 Weminuche Wilderness map but am hoping for something more detailed
- And, lastly, advice ... will take any that you give that would help make this a memorable and positive family trip, including general advice about the Chicago Basin, the proposed route and itinerary ...whatever you think important.

Thank you in advance for your help. Was thinking that we had the whole thing planned out as I had heard that the train was going to restart service, but didnt think it would be as limited as it is. That said, part of hiking the back country is rolling with the changes presented to you ...and, hopefully through this, making the best use of the information available. Thanks again.
First suggestion is do Windom Peak. Easier and less exposed than Eolus. Leave the stove and water filter at camp. Carry the water you'll need for the day (2-3 l.) No rope. Helmet not necessary for Windom, probably would want one for Sunlight and/or Eolus. The routes/trails are fairly easy to follow. Download the route descriptions from this site. The Columbine Pass topo is the detailed map.
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

BSAdad: Echoing others, yes on the helmet, no on the rope. IMO you won't need a rope and even if you did you'd need quite a bit of experience to make it safe and useful. Bring light rain gear on your climb if you get caught out in a drizzle; some like light gloves if you have to scamble down on wet rocks. A headlamp is nice for a pre-dawn start. Pack light for your climb, but don't go too light on water; Platypus or other bladders are a really light way to carry a couple of extra quarts of water. Fwiw I'll use a small pack (eg REI Flash 18, whatever) as a sleeping bag stuff sack, then use it as a summit pack once you're at base camp. No need to carry your big packs up high.

Finally, be aware of the salt-ravenous mountain goats up in CB. They'll watch you pee so they can lick the salt later! Harmless and pretty funny to experience.

Good for you for introducing your kids to this, it's a beautiful area. Have a great & safe trip!

-Tom
douglas
14ers: 53 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by douglas »

Windom was my first 14er at around age 40. I went with a group of friends who had more experience and I was woefully unprepared, mostly physically. I ran out of water and food half way up to the summit and sat down, giving up. (my group way ahead of me) There were plenty of people on the peak that day and some nice strangers gave me a snack and I eventually made it to the summit. My point is that physically you should make it no problem, barring any altitude intolerance. Don't skimp on water and have lots of snacks for the summit hike.
BSAdad
Trip Reports (0)

Post by BSAdad »

This is great advice ...thank you for your insights.

Windom sounds like the consensus choice and will shift our summiting to there. We are also getting helmets ...as a cyclist who has been hit by car before, it doesnt take much to talk me in the features and benefits of wearing a helmet!

We are coming in from the East but flying instead of driving. (The plane tickets were ridiculously cheap to Albuquerque, renting a car and driving up to Durango.) We will have 2 days to acclimate before hiking in from Purgatory Trailhead, one of those will be taking fly fishing lessons as an effort to further expand our horizons of outdoor things to learn.

As far as the hike, we are going to take our time and go until we do not feel like going further. Water along the route seems abundant so we will have that luxury. I have also built an additional day on the tail end (July 4th) in case we need it in the wilderness. We will pack additional calories as a stop-gap (I always hike with an extra meal or so - just in case).

If you have additional thoughts, please send them along. Have already received some excellent reading suggestions for when relaxing in the basin!

Thanks again for lending your experience and expertise. It is super appreciated!
MtnResident
14ers: 58  13 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MtnResident »

An army marches on its feet. I would recommend blister prevention products (Pjur anti-chafing gel is awesome) and consider using liner socks. Be sure to break in your boots before the trip. Backpacking, even with a small amount of weight, puts extra stress on your feet in places you may not notice without the weight. Good luck. That's a great area for a trip.