Blanca Peak 1st timer

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
LCLMSTEVE93
Trip Reports (0)

Blanca Peak 1st timer

Post by LCLMSTEVE93 »

** UPDATE **
Thanks Everyone!! Much needed advice. I will not be considering Little Bear as a newbie. I don't have input on the Peak choice of Blanca as I am invited to travel along. I just go with the flow. However, I re-evaluated everything and have been able to drop from the original 42.3125 lbs down to 29.875 lbs just by your input all together. Astounding what a spreadsheet can do for you. It is truly amazing what you guys know. I am looking forward to this next challenge and will fill you guys in with some updates as I get closer and complete this climb.

Shaved Weights
Sleep System - 7 lbs (112 oz) (hammock, straps, rain fly, sleeping bag and air pillow, stakes)
Food Bag - 6.875 lbs (110 oz) (4 days rations - 4 OMeals, 8 Snack Bags of Jerky/Nature Valley Granola Bar/Kind Bar/Clif Bar/Rice Krispie Treats - Breakfast/Lunch)
Pack - High Sierra Long Trail 90L - 6.5 lbs (101 oz) Just purchased a Gregory Palisade 90L (On its way)
Eliminated - Full Hydration Bladder 3L - 0lbs (0 oz) - Sticking with 2-1L bottles to be refilled at water sources.
Clothes Bag - Cool and Warm Gear and Camp Shoes (mesh water shoes) - Minimal - 3.9375 lbs (63 oz)
Rain Gear - Nike Storm Gear - Top Only/Frogg Togg Poncho - 1.8125 lbs (29 oz)
Necessities/Hygiene/Meds/First Aid - Diddy Bag - 2.0 lbs (32 oz)
Empty Camel Back for Day Hikes - 1.0 lbs (16 oz)
Water Filtration - .7 (7 oz)
Bear Rope/Utensils - .6 (6 oz)

Anal Retentiveness Pays Off
New weight 29.875 Total pack weight - 6/17/2020

We are climbing Blanca Peak and surrounding peaks for the first time July 7-12. Any tips would be helpful. Additionally, how much water to carry, are there water sources along the trail to Lake Como? We plan to hike to Lake Como and Day Hike the surrounding peaks from our base camp at Lake Como. Also, I am a heavy hiker/packer. I am 6’0 250 lbs and trying to carry the essentials, so any packing lists and supply list would be welcomed. My pack currently is weighing in at 42.18 lbs and trying to reduce the weight. My group wants me under 35 lbs. I have listed my weights from heaviest to lightest below for advice and recommendations.

Here is our itinerary
Day 1 Drive to Blanca Peak Trail Head (12 hrs)
Day 2 Hike to Lake Como
Day 3 Hike or Chill
Day 4 Hike or Chill
Day 5 Hike Out and drive home
Day 6 Arrive Home

Here is my pack inventory list heaviest to lightest

Sleep System - 9.1 lbs (145 oz) (hammock, straps, rain fly, sleeping bag and pillow, stakes)
Food Bag - 8.15 lbs (143 oz) (4 days rations - 6 OMeals, 4 Snack Bags of Jerky/Nature Valley Granola Bar/Kind Bar/Clif Bar/Rice Krispie Treats)
Pack - High Sierra Long Trail 90L - 6.5 lbs (101 oz) Just purchased a Gregory Palisade 90l (On its way)
Full Hydration Bladder 3L - 6.14 lbs (110 oz)
Clothes Bag - Cool and Warm Gear and Camp Shoes (mesh water shoes) - Minimal - 4.10 lbs (74 oz)
Rain Gear - Nike Storm Gear/Frogg Togg Poncho - 2.7 lbs (39 oz)
Empty Camel Back for Day Hikes - 1.2 lbs (18 oz)

Total weight 42.18 lbs (675 oz)

Goal Weight 35 lbs
Currently 7.18 lbs away from goal weight

Thanks in advance.

Steve
Last edited by LCLMSTEVE93 on Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
ECF55
14ers: 7 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (7)

Re: Blanca Peak 1st timer

Post by ECF55 »

LCLMSTEVE93
Trip Reports (0)

Post by LCLMSTEVE93 »

1st time for me for both.
Wentzl
14ers: 58  20 
13ers: 55
Trip Reports (49)

Post by Wentzl »

Interesting 1st 14er choice. Might I ask, why Blanca?
Shorter of Breath and One Day Closer . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZXKgl8turY

"Social Justice" = Injustice
Progressives are Oxy-morons
LCLMSTEVE93
Trip Reports (0)

Post by LCLMSTEVE93 »

Wentzl wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:40 pm Interesting 1st 14er choice. Might I ask, why Blanca?
It was the place that our group chose. It is a father/son Men's trip that we take every year. Mountain climb was the choice this year due to river flooding in Arkansas the past two years.
Wentzl
Trip Reports (49)

Post by Wentzl »

Then race car driving and finish up with Bullfighting.

Fair enough. I only ask, because Blanca has a notoriously long, and some would say unpleasant, approach. But once past that, the mountain is certainly beautiful and not particularly challenging. Also, camping around the lake is sublime.

You mention peaks "surrounding Como Lake", which would include Little Bear. Since you are asking for advice, I suggest avoiding that one for now.

Have a great trip!

HikerGuy
14ers: 58 
13ers: 426 8
Trip Reports (9)

Post by HikerGuy »

LCLMSTEVE93 wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:01 pm My pack currently is weighing in at 42.18 lbs and trying to reduce the weight. My group wants me under 35 lbs. I have listed my weights from heaviest to lightest below for advice and recommendations.
Sleep System - 9.1 lbs (145 oz) (hammock, straps, rain fly, sleeping bag and pillow, stakes)
Food Bag - 8.15 lbs (143 oz) (4 days rations - 6 OMeals, 4 Snack Bags of Jerky/Nature Valley Granola Bar/Kind Bar/Clif Bar/Rice Krispie Treats)
Pack - High Sierra Long Trail 90L - 6.5 lbs (101 oz) Just purchased a Gregory Palisade 90l (On its way)
Full Hydration Bladder 3L - 6.14 lbs (110 oz)
Clothes Bag - Cool and Warm Gear and Camp Shoes (mesh water shoes) - Minimal - 4.10 lbs (74 oz)
Rain Gear - Nike Storm Gear/Frogg Togg Poncho - 2.7 lbs (39 oz)
Empty Camel Back for Day Hikes - 1.2 lbs (18 oz)

Total weight 42.18 lbs (675 oz)

Goal Weight 35 lbs
Currently 7.18 lbs away from goal weight
The easiest way to cut weight is don't carry too much water (filter along the way) and don't carry food that you won't eat.

Next up is the big three: pack, shelter, sleeping bag/pad. Those items will give you the best weight loss return on your investment.

90L pack is way too big for summer backpacking. 70L max if your items are bulky. It takes a while to get comfortable transitioning to lighter setups, 55L would be a great goal. A smaller pack forces you to think about what you really need vs. stuff you might carry and never use. My big pack is 75L and weighs 3lbs 12.4oz. My smaller pack 60L and weighs 2lbs 9.4oz. The latter is still consider HUGE for most lighter-weight backpackers. I'll also carry a small REI Flash daypack if scrambling is involved, that weighs 1lb.

Food. 8 pounds seems like a lot. I usually carry 1 pound of food per day. I'd take a closer look at this category.

Water. Depends where you start on the Como Road, but anywhere from 1 to 2 liters should get you to a water source for filtering more water.

Sleep system. 9 lbs is way too heavy. Two of the big three here, shelter and bag/pad. My luxury setup for this category is 5lbs.

Clothing seems okay. Rain gear seems quite heavy. Personally I don't carry rain pants. I use my rain jacket primarily as a wind layer above treeline and for keeping warmer at night. If I expect rain, I carry a lightweight poncho-pack cover combo.
nunns
14ers: 43 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nunns »

I always hesitate to say "carry LESS water", but if you probably won't need 3 Liters to get up the Lake Como road. Since you can filter water once you get to the lake, 2 Liters is probably sufficient. Needless to say you want to "camel up" before you leave the vehicle that first day.

Don't take this the wrong way, but weight is the same whether its on your body or in your pack. Eating really healthy and reducing calories the last few weeks before the trip could drop a few pounds from the waistline. (I am not judging anyone, I do this myself personally every year in June & July before I go climbing.)

Hope you have a good time. As Wentzl said, probably should stay away from Little Bear.
We are coming out to the Blanca group a few weeks after you.

Sean Nunn
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains." --Psalms 36:6
Wentzl
Trip Reports (49)

Post by Wentzl »

Just a thought. Have you looked at the small town of Winfield and the peaks which surround it?

Based on the little I know about you, and the experience I have in the 14ers, seems like the kind of advice you may have been looking for.

markf
14ers: 56  2  9 
13ers: 21 1 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by markf »

Why a hammock? If you're going in a group, split a lightweight tent with one or two other people. What kind of sleeping bag are you carrying? A good down bag will be a whole lot lighter and more compact than a synthetic one. Leave the pillow behind, stuff some clothing into a stuff sack and use that. If you have to have a pillow, get a lightweight inflatable one. Your sleep system does sound heavy. I'm pretty sure my tent, sleeping bag and sleeping pad come out to less than 6 lbs, and there are lighter setups than mine. What are you cooking with? Like a few other people said, your pack sounds awfully big for a trip of this length. Like one other poster said, losing a few pounds of body weight would make this whole trip a lot more pleasant (and maybe safer), but it might be a little late for that.
mark
LCLMSTEVE93
Trip Reports (0)

Post by LCLMSTEVE93 »

Thanks Everyone!! Much needed advice. I will not be considering Little Bear as a newbie. I don't have input on the Peak choice of Blanca as I am invited to travel along. I just go with the flow. However, I re-evaluated everything and have been able to drop from the original 42.3125 lbs down to 29.875 lbs just by your input all together. It is truly amazing what you guys know. I am looking forward to this next challenge and will fill you guys in with some updates as I get closer and complete this climb.
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

Note, the other peak people climb is Ellington, another class 2 in rock. Many do Blanca and Ellington on the same hike. Little Bear is in a different direction and much dangerous with a class 4 part.

There are numerous threads on how far one can drive up the road to Lake Como. It has big rocks and destroys some vehicles. I just parked were you first see cars parked and hiked extra.

Some seasons Lake Como has a serious bear problem. A bear canister for you food is recommended. I forgot whether suitable trees were available to hanging food.