Mt. Bierstadt in late June? Or Maybe Quandary Peak?

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
jolynne
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Mt. Bierstadt in late June? Or Maybe Quandary Peak?

Post by jolynne »

Wow! I'd heard Bierstadt was popular but had no idea. I was considering driving to Breckenridge and hiking Quandary. Parking is more accessible there?
Ptglhs wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 2:18 pm If you go on the 29th, which is a Monday, you should be able to find parking at or very close to the trailhead. If you attempt to go the weekend prior then Bierstadt is going to be a conga line to the summit of hundreds of hikers and no parking for about a mile in either direction by 0600).

If you're solely looking for easy, and also a day drive to and from Denver then I would rank your options as:

Sherman
(Usually evans but the highway is closed til July at least)
Bierstadt
Quandary
jolynne
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jolynne »

Tom, I really appreciate your advice to start acclimating in Denver. That sounds like a good idea. And I'm hoping to make it up to the top for my birthday, but if not i will be an adventure. :-D
TomPierce wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 2:21 pm jolynne: IMO all of the advice you've gotten above is solid. Coming from KC you'll want to acclimatize to our altitude, but you've already commented that you will. If you have the luxury of time, a day or two in Denver before heading up to the mountains would be a gradual schedule that I think you'll appreciate.

One thing to consider: If things don't go perfectly and you decide to come down, consider coming back in early September. No guarantee but afternoon thunderstorms aren't nearly as common in September, so that might give you more time for hiking. It's a beautiful time of the year out here. Just an idea.

Finally, you aren't crazy! I think it's a great idea, go for it! Just train, plan, watch the weather and do your best. Summit or not it's a great goal!

-Tom
jolynne
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jolynne »

That is especially valuable info. Are there any particular peaks you'd recommend that are not quite as steep and rough?
mtree wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 3:24 pm You mentioned you're getting over an Achilles injury and your husband has some joint issues. Quandary Peak is considerably steeper and rougher on the joints than any of the others mentioned. Something to take into consideration. Otherwise, have fun!!!
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

jolynne wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 3:38 pm That is especially valuable info. Are there any particular peaks you'd recommend that are not quite as steep and rough?
mtree wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 3:24 pm You mentioned you're getting over an Achilles injury and your husband has some joint issues. Quandary Peak is considerably steeper and rougher on the joints than any of the others mentioned. Something to take into consideration. Otherwise, have fun!!!
Sherman and Grays are the easiest. Grays with Torreys becomes more difficult, but you can always abandon the climb at the saddle and return to your car. I'd say Bierstadt is next as far as steepness and difficulty. Democrat, Cameron, Lincoln, and Bross are fairly easy, but if you do all in 1 trek its a tougher day than Bierstadt.

Quandary is the most challenging of the "easy" peaks along the Front Range due to a couple long, steep sections. The fact there are steps built into sections of the trail now makes it even harder on joints.
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
Ptglhs
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 86 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ptglhs »

jolynne wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 3:35 pm Wow! I'd heard Bierstadt was popular but had no idea. I was considering driving to Breckenridge and hiking Quandary. Parking is more accessible there?
It's a bit further from Denver and a slightly harder hike than bierstadt so it's not as crowded. Honestly, if you go on a summer weekend both will be so crowded that you would be hard-pressed to notice a difference. Go on the 29th IMO. Sherman is the easiest and least scenic of the 3.
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

If you worried you will be slow, the trick is to start early. Sunrise is 530ish that time of year, might not be a bad start time. Its better to be at the summit early and beat the crowds, then to have to turn around short of the summit because it was taking too long.
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
mtngoatwithstyle
14ers: 19 
13ers: 73 4
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Mt. Bierstadt in late June?

Post by mtngoatwithstyle »

jolynne wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 3:33 pm Your response is timely, because I was just researching acclimating to the higher elevation. Also, we're keeping an eye on the covid-19 restrictions and know we'll have to be flexible and my plans may not happen. I figure I'll plan anyway. Luckily my husband is an attorney, so he can discuss restrictions knowledgeably with law enforcement.
peter303 wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 2:05 pm Late June is when the summer 14er hiking starts. Most, but not all snow has probably melted. There may be some runoff streams.

Bierstadt is extremely popular. The formal trailhead parking lot at the summit of Guanella Pass fills up by 7AM. You should start before then to avoid afternoon lightning.

I'd recommend 2 or 3 altitude conditioning hikes before then. Getup to at least treeline and hike upwards. I like to starting from road passes such as Loveland Pass southside, Trailridge Road eastside (quarantine inaccessible), Mt Evans Summit Lake (quarantine inaccessible), and Berthoud Pass eastside. These places may still have significant snow through mid-June.

I would keep your eyes open as to quarantine closures and police harassments at these various sites. The rural counties have made lots of noises about keeping hikers away, but havent necessarily followed through with any action. I expect the campaign to heat up over Memorial Day and July 4 holidays.
Please know that at this time, county roads in Clear Creek are not being allowed to be used by non residents, that is where Bierdstadt is. I am not sure what will happen at the end of June but I hope that things go back a little bit to "normal" . I know that they are trying to start lifting many of the restrictions in the next month or so. Regardless of your husband's professional background this is a good reminder to all of us ,who love the outdoors very much, to be mindful of the advice being given as regards of visiting other counties in order to continue decreasing cases and allowing for a new potential wave to arrive in the summer and have enough spaces in the hospital for those affected. Enjoy the mountains!.
Never,never give up!.
jolynne
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jolynne »

Leaving early sounds like a plan. Thanks.
Trotter wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 5:22 pm If you worried you will be slow, the trick is to start early. Sunrise is 530ish that time of year, might not be a bad start time. Its better to be at the summit early and beat the crowds, then to have to turn around short of the summit because it was taking too long.
jolynne
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Mt. Bierstadt in late June?

Post by jolynne »

Hmm. I didn't realize the back roads weren't open to non-residents. Important info for sure. I'm not meaning to defy laws. Just insist on proper enforcement. Thank you.
mtngoatwithstyle wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 5:44 pm
jolynne wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 3:33 pm Your response is timely, because I was just researching acclimating to the higher elevation. Also, we're keeping an eye on the covid-19 restrictions and know we'll have to be flexible and my plans may not happen. I figure I'll plan anyway. Luckily my husband is an attorney, so he can discuss restrictions knowledgeably with law enforcement.
peter303 wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 2:05 pm Please know that at this time, county roads in Clear Creek are not being allowed to be used by non residents, that is where Bierdstadt is. I am not sure what will happen at the end of June but I hope that things go back a little bit to "normal" . I know that they are trying to start lifting many of the restrictions in the next month or so. Regardless of your husband's professional background this is a good reminder to all of us ,who love the outdoors very much, to be mindful of the advice being given as regards of visiting other counties in order to continue decreasing cases and allowing for a new potential wave to arrive in the summer and have enough spaces in the hospital for those affected. Enjoy the mountains!.
jolynne
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jolynne »

I'll look up info on Sherman right now. Thanks.
Ptglhs wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 5:19 pm
jolynne wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 3:35 pm Wow! I'd heard Bierstadt was popular but had no idea. I was considering driving to Breckenridge and hiking Quandary. Parking is more accessible there?
It's a bit further from Denver and a slightly harder hike than bierstadt so it's not as crowded. Honestly, if you go on a summer weekend both will be so crowded that you would be hard-pressed to notice a difference. Go on the 29th IMO. Sherman is the easiest and least scenic of the 3.