How to identify wind-scoured slopes?

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
SamWerner
14ers: 37  3 
Trip Reports (0)

How to identify wind-scoured slopes?

Post by SamWerner »

I did Mt Sherman via the South Slopes route yesterday, and in the research phase of looking at routes, I was really worried about the White Ridge that was looming to the N-NE of the route (a south-southwest facing slope). Huge chunks of it are 35-45 degrees, so I was really worried about it being avalanche prone. When we got there, it ended up being completely wind scoured with barely any snow on it at all.

My question is: Is there a way to know (or are there online resources) that can help you tell when a slope or summit will be wind scoured without seeing pictures of it? Conditions reports are few and far between in these months so it's hard to rely on pictures and descriptions. I'm assuming there's a way to look at average wind direction, slope facing direction, and other factors, but I haven't found anything online. I have not yet taken AIARE 1 (planning to in the near future) so I'm doing my best to stay away from potentially dangerous slopes by planning routes carefully, but I'm not sure what specifics to look for besides slope angle. Any help or resources would be greatly appreciated!
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Re: How to identify wind-scoured slopes?

Post by SkaredShtles »

Nope.

There are generalities, but you cannot determine such a thing for sure without laying eyes on the slope.
Eli Boardman
14ers: 58  1  15 
13ers: 18 1
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Eli Boardman »

In my experience, pictures from trip reports from previous years are the best resource. It's far from a guarantee, but certain slopes are almost always wind scoured, and reading trip reports will help you identify which ones are more/less likely to be snow free, especially on a well-documented mountain like Sherman.

Of course, as they say, past performance doesn't guarantee future results, but you can always turn around if the slope you thought was going to be scoured (based on previous TRs) turns out to be snowy.
Last edited by Eli Boardman on Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Buckie06
14ers: 56  3  4 
13ers: 18 1 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Buckie06 »

Sam,
Kudos to you for recognizing such danger, and even more kudos for reaching out for help. Many people would not do this, you are a great person.

Caltopo added a new feature these past few months of weekly aerial satellite photos. Before your climb you could look at the week's aerial photo to see if there's any snow on the slope, then compare that with the week's weather report if there were any big snow dumps since the satellite photo was taken. https://caltopo.blogspot.com/2019/06/se ... kTu75Qg6kM

You can also use the SNOTEL stations located throughout the CO mountains to get a reading of the snow depth. They are usually not above ~11,000 and close to dirt roads for maintenance though. https://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/snow/snow_map.html
SamWerner
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SamWerner »

Eli Boardman wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:27 am In my experience, pictures from trip reports from previous years are the best resource. It's far from a guarantee, but certain slopes are almost always wind scoured, and reading trip reports will help you identify which ones are more/less likely to be snow free, especially on a well-documented mountain like Sherman.

Of course, as they say, past performance doesn't guarantee future results, but you can always turn around if the slope you thought was going to be scoured (based on previous TRs) turns out to be snowy.
That's definitely a good idea, I'll check those out next time for a good starting point!
Buckie06 wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:28 am Sam,
Kudos to you for recognizing such danger, and even more kudos for reaching out for help. Many people would not do this, you are a great person.

Caltopo added a new feature these past few months of weekly aerial satellite photos. Before your climb you could look at the week's aerial photo to see if there's any snow on the slope, then compare that with the week's weather report if there were any big snow dumps since the satellite photo was taken. https://caltopo.blogspot.com/2019/06/se ... kTu75Qg6kM

You can also use the SNOTEL stations located throughout the CO mountains to get a reading of the snow depth. They are usually not above ~11,000 and close to dirt roads for maintenance though. https://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/snow/snow_map.html
That's exactly what I was looking for, thank you! I'll have to play around with the settings on that Sentinel map so it's easier to follow, but that is a fantastic resource. I'll check out the SNOTEL stations as well, those seem like they may be more reliable than the ski resorts telling me to expect 15 feet of snow.

Thank you also for the kind words! I know I'm just getting started in mountaineering, and I rather enjoy not dying in avalanches, so I figured this was a great place to start.
daway8
14ers: 58  24 
13ers: 155 29
Trip Reports (70)

Post by daway8 »

If you're looking for general avalanche evaluation you might benefit from the analysis I've done in a couple of my trip reports which point out some things to look for - certainly not a substitute for proper training but you might glean a few useful things in the meantime since there are some warning signs you can spot ahead of time:

https://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepo ... m=tripmine
https://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepo ... m=tripmine

Also, if you've not seen it yet, another good resource is this site with descriptions of all the 14ers in winter https://www.summitpost.org/colorado-14e ... ter/337648. Don't trust this 100% either but it's a good starting point combined with the analysis tips above plus learning, research and on-site evaluation.
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

Sam,

Good job on Sherman! I was the fellow across the valley from you on Mt. Sheridan yesterday, I watched your progress off & on all day.

The Caltopo link above for weekly photos is a new one to me, I'll have to check it out. I've had limited luck with Snotel, just too much variability once you get away from the exact spot they measure. But you're on the right track, if a line is wind-scoured you'll be fine if you stay on the rocks; you have to have snow to have an avalanche. Fwiw, that area is notoriously wind-scoured, the slopes that will slide are pretty well known and relatively easy to avoid.

Another idea is to bone up on avalanche route-finding. There are several online tools that will help. Years ago I found a fun online exercise tool developed by the Canadians. It's not a substitute for a good field course, but it gets you thinking. Take a look, it might be useful for you:

https://www.avalanche.ca/tutorial/reduc ... -exercises

Be safe out there.

-Tom
SamWerner
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SamWerner »

TomPierce wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:20 pm Sam,

Good job on Sherman! I was the fellow across the valley from you on Mt. Sheridan yesterday, I watched your progress off & on all day.

The Caltopo link above for weekly photos is a new one to me, I'll have to check it out. I've had limited luck with Snotel, just too much variability once you get away from the exact spot they measure. But you're on the right track, if a line is wind-scoured you'll be fine if you stay on the rocks; you have to have snow to have an avalanche. Fwiw, that area is notoriously wind-scoured, the slopes that will slide are pretty well known and relatively easy to avoid.

Another idea is to bone up on avalanche route-finding. There are several online tools that will help. Years ago I found a fun online exercise tool developed by the Canadians. It's not a substitute for a good field course, but it gets you thinking. Take a look, it might be useful for you:

https://www.avalanche.ca/tutorial/reduc ... -exercises

Be safe out there.

-Tom
Thanks Tom! You must have been either the car there way before us or the one who pulled up as we started up the road. I tried out that Canadian route finding link, that was really cool! I think most of the scenarios involve being closer to sketchy terrain than I'd be comfortable with in real life (at least without all the training and gear), but it definitely helped illustrate what the hazards look like on an actual mountain rather than a diagram.