Is it culturally acceptable to hike 14ers by yourself?

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
timisimaginary
14ers: 3 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Is it culturally acceptable to hike 14ers by yourself?

Post by timisimaginary »

dp1992 wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:12 pm Is it culturally acceptable in Colorado to hike 14ers solo?
it is now.
"The decay and disintegration of this culture is astonishingly amusing if you're emotionally detached from it." - George Carlin
dp1992
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by dp1992 »

CaptCO wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:35 pm So dp was a troll and you guys bought into it like regular.. the thing is I’m willing to bet he’s an experienced hiker with zero personal life. What a shame!! :mrgreen:
wrong, again
Corbinw45
14ers: 1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Corbinw45 »

Do not be intimidated by the fancy equipment crowd. I think as long as you prepare very well, get good advice and let people know where you are, you can do anything. I've personally never had that vibe from Colorado (well, maybe a little on the ski slopes) but who cares, in my opinion, if you love being in the mountains then you should be there and not give a s*** what anyone else thinks of you. Just enjoy it and try to make friends if that seems like a good thing to do! Good Luck sir!
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

timisimaginary wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:13 pm
dp1992 wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:12 pm Is it culturally acceptable in Colorado to hike 14ers solo?
it is now.
+100

Probably required now!
CORed
14ers: 10  1 
13ers: 10 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by CORed »

I've done several hikes alone, but always am afraid that this is not culturally acceptable. Everyone seems to be in groups.
It's certainly culturally acceptable to hike solo. It is somewhat more risky than hinking with one or more other people, as there may not be anybody to go for help should you injure yourself badly enough to impair your ability to hike out. However, in the summer, there will usually be other people on 14ers. That said, I hike alone more often than not.
MountainHiker
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 109
Trip Reports (7)

Post by MountainHiker »

Make it a point to not be the last one coming down the trail, and stick to the standard route. While the easier fourteeners close to the city have crowds on the summer weekends, don't take for granted that will allays be the case. The harder fourteeners, farther from Denver, will have less people. Any fourteener as you stretch the seasons will have less people. If you get off route, even on a crowded fourteener, you could find yourself all alone. Even on a standard route, in winter conditions, you could be all alone.

If you travel alone, have a Spot or other messenger device. (Recommended even if you are not alone) Cell phones often don't have a signal along the route. If something happens, even a minor injury could become a fatal event if you are alone and nobody comes along to find you. Navigation is absolute importance. If you are off route, and something happens, it will be a lot harder to find you even if you can send a message. That time lost could be when you die or become an amputee.

So it is okay to travel alone, but don't ever forget, a minor accident can be a lot more serious. That's even true when you're not alone, and the weather is coming in and the day is turning to night.
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert
dp1992
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by dp1992 »

cool, just did bierstadt today for the second time, solo, and it was great, I was a lot more comfortable...because of this thread :-D but also, saw a few solo hikers so it was good
Conor
14ers: 41  6  6 
13ers: 51 1 1
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Conor »

If you see another solo hiker, are you really solo?
Gandalf69
14ers: 31 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (8)

Post by Gandalf69 »

Yes, I went up Capitol today alone as a day hike. Go out and get it, leave people who don't want to hike behind.
"There's always the possibility that some a**hole will be offended." -Clint Eastwood, Escape from Alcatraz
"Life is cruel, why should the afterlife be any different".-Davey Jones
"The decision to triage us to death...I understand. I don't know that I would agree with it. Certainly not in retrospect because obviously I made it."-Beck Weathers, Dark side of Everest