Quandary east slope avy risk

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
bluegrassclimber
Trip Reports (0)

Quandary east slope avy risk

Post by bluegrassclimber »

New to the forum and winter climbing. I have been reading up on avalanche terrain, have a newb question about the winter std route on Quandary. In the rout notes it says head up the slope around 11700 to gain the ridge at a point around 12100 to avoid avy terrain. I circled the area in purple in the image (I know the slopes in red are problems).

Couldn't the slope in purple slide? Is the more conservative path to gain the ridge at treeline (between purple and red areas)?
Attachments
20191119_225351.jpg
20191119_225351.jpg (288.13 KiB) Viewed 4519 times
AndrewLyonsGeibel
14ers: 9 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Quandary east slope avy risk

Post by AndrewLyonsGeibel »

I think it would be really unlikely for the purple area to slide, it’s really pretty low angle.
davebobk47
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 130 1 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by davebobk47 »

That area won't slide. In winter on Quandary when you hit treeline pretty much head straight up. I do tend a bit left as do most others. Unless you are there after a big dump you'll see lots of tracks.
"Mountains are not stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve. They are the cathedrals where I practice my religion." -Anatoli Boukreev
JacobW
14ers: 45  17  4 
13ers: 21 11 3
Trip Reports (5)

Post by JacobW »

That entire eastern slope is very low angle and low risk.
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (539.44 KiB) Viewed 4362 times
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Post by bergsteigen »

While a slide on the east ridge of Quandary is not likely, under extreme avalanche danger anything over 27 degrees is completely off limits. That means in the above caltopo map, anything with colors. Yellow is 27-30 degrees. Orange is 30-31. So there is no “completely safe” descent, except on the ridge edge during extreme danger like what we experienced last season.

But typically it is a safe(r) slope.
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

Caltopo should just be a guide, not definitive, it definitely doesn’t show all potential slopes.
Jorts
14ers: 58  4  2 
13ers: 104 14 5
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Jorts »

SchralpTheGnar wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:37 pm Caltopo should just be a guide, not definitive, it definitely doesn’t show all potential slopes.
Jumping into that rabbit hole... There was a great talk at CSAW about caltopo and that. The resolution results in plenty of spatial errors. It seemed to have contributed to this accident last year:

https://avalanche.state.co.us/caic/acc/ ... &accfm=inv

Having said that, Quandary's east ridge is about as tame as they come.
Traveling light is the only way to fly.
IG: @colorado_invasive
Strava: Brent Herring
Cide
14ers: 54  5 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Cide »

Jorts wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:02 pm
SchralpTheGnar wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:37 pm Caltopo should just be a guide, not definitive, it definitely doesn’t show all potential slopes.
Jumping into that rabbit hole... There was a great talk at CSAW about caltopo and that. The resolution results in plenty of spatial errors. It seemed to have contributed to this accident last year:

https://avalanche.state.co.us/caic/acc/ ... &accfm=inv

Having said that, Quandary's east ridge is about as tame as they come.
One of the last pics in the report with the different elevation shadings from two different entities is really eye opening. Thanks for sharing.
"Salients in the Void"
Permitting the CO 14ers, A Slow March to a Sad Future.
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

I'm completely ignoring the map.
From FIRST hand experience of climbing Quandary's standard east ridge route in varying winter conditions, many times, over many years I can confidently say there is very little danger of avalanche.

That said, there is one small area to be wary of. As you leave the forest and head up the "winter" route to the ridgeline I've seen that slope crack and slough off in the past. I don't think it would kill you, but... I avoided it by circling far to the left and reconnecting with the standard winter route. Just something to watch of for. Otherwise, staying on route should keep you out of harm's way. Have fun!
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.