"Cold" Temperatures

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Wigniter
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (0)

"Cold" Temperatures

Post by Wigniter »

Flatlander, here. We're planning a trip to hike Bierstadt this coming weekend, but the forecast shows that its going to be pretty chilly. We are planning to layer up, but I'm wondering if there are any basic recommendations for hiking in 20-30 °F at elevation? What are the must-have pieces of gear, clothing, emergency items, etc.... that we should plan to have with us on a hike in the cold?

For reference, we're experiencing our first "cool" morning here in OKC, and its in the upper 60's, so we haven't acclimated to cold weather yet. We are planning an acclimation hike the day before Bierstadt, so I'm hoping that will help us dial in our layers and packs before attempting Bierstadt.

Thanks for the help!
yaktoleft13
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 264 22
Trip Reports (21)

Re: "Cold" Temperatures

Post by yaktoleft13 »

You've got it: the most important thing is layers. Windproof is nice too, as a blustery day can turn a warm hike into a chilly one. And some sort of face protection (balaclava, buff, etc) to help keep the chill of the wind off you will help.

In the shoulder season, wind is usually the biggest factor. Looks like that will hold true this weekend for the forecast on Bierstadt
Ptglhs
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 86 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ptglhs »

Wool or synthetic base layer.
A couple of insulating layers you can put on as things get cold: fleece or down are my go to. I'd bring an insulating layer for your legs too.
A wind/water shell.
More layers are better than a thick layer. You'll start with too much on, take them off as you hike and sweat, and you'll want to relayer if you stop for any length of time.
Glove liners and mittens, or thick wool sock to use as mittens to help your hands get warm.
Something for your ears. You might consider a full face mask if it's predicted to be windy.
Side note: don't forget sunblock and lip balm. You will still get burned at that elevation despite the cold, if you have exposed skin.
Food that you'll be okay eating if it's cold. High fat stuff like nuts are good. Give your body something to burn to stay warm. Keep your water near your body, especially the water line if it's a camelback.
oldschool
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (23)

Post by oldschool »

1. No cotton anything
2. Base layer-I use Icebreaker.
3. Lightweight fleece pullover
4. Down jacket or other good warm layer
5. Jacket - windproof/waterproof is best. Can just be a shell since you have warming layers under.
Bottom
1. Lightweight long undies
2. Wool or wool blend socks
3. Overpants..wind proof or something similar helps.

If not too cold, one layer on bottom may be enough.

No cotton, no cotton. Hat, gloves, calories.
"There's a feeling I get when I look to the West and my spirit is crying for leaving" Led Zeppelin
Wigniter
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Wigniter »

Thanks for the replies, folks!!! Very helpful and encouraging. And more than anything, its good info to pass along to the more worrisome among our trek.
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

It ain't brain surgery. I assume you've been on this planet long enough to know what 20-30 degree temps feel like and what you need to stay warm. Dress in layers. Don't worry about the fabrics you're wearing or the brand name of them. Wind can be an issue so make sure you have something for that. And sunscreen!

For reference, I wore a cotton Wolfmother concert T, shorts, cotton sweatshirt, and a light jacket last weekend when the temps at the trailhead were below 30 degrees. It was windy. I was fine. Have fun!
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
nunns
14ers: 43 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nunns »

Not a direct answer to your question, but there is no such thing (that I have ever heard of) as physiological adaptation to cold. The body has about a 2 week acclimation to heat that involves sweating sooner, sweating more, and the sweat becoming closer and closer to 100% salt water. Not so with the cold.

Bring plenty of layers, including a top layer that will keep you dry. 38 degrees and raining can feel really, really cold if you don't have a waterproof outer layer.
Also recommend a hat and warm gloves.

Sean Nunn
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains." --Psalms 36:6
JacerJack
14ers: 58  3  3 
13ers: 11 3 1
Trip Reports (6)

Post by JacerJack »

As the Norwegians say, "There's no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothes!"
CORed
14ers: 10  1 
13ers: 10 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by CORed »

As others have stated, wind is a critical factor. AT 20-30 degrees with now wind and sun, you will likely be down to a sweater or light jacket when climbing, if not shirtsleeve. OTOH, add a 30 mph or faster wind to that, and you will be wearing everything in your pack and maybe wishing you had more. Windchill charts can give you an idea, but keep in mind, in the fall at high elevations, you're going to have that wind to deal with, on the ridgetops if not the entire route, more often than not.
RJ_Greenhorn24
14ers: 12 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (12)

Post by RJ_Greenhorn24 »

Mittens, mittens, mittens! Of all my cold day hikes the only thing that suffers is my hands. Your core stays pretty warm while hiking but your hands lose heat as soon as you stop to take a break.
"I don't think you fully understand the consequences of your pickle thievery" - Classic summit conversation
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

RJ_Greenhorn24 wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:23 pm Mittens, mittens, mittens! Of all my cold day hikes the only thing that suffers is my hands. Your core stays pretty warm while hiking but your hands lose heat as soon as you stop to take a break.
Roger that. I am an absolute mitten slut, I can't say no. Thin, medium, heavy mitts for me in cool/cold/arctic cold weather. Sure, there are gloves-only situations (tech work involving gear and ropes), but for hiking/scrambling? Mitts all the way in cool/cold weather. Just so efficient.

-Tom

PS: You might also consider a wind blocker ear band, North Face makes a nice one in multiple colors. Keeps your ears warm in the wind, prevents frostnip, but also allows great heat venting through your head. I can slog uphill and keep the ears warm, but not worry about overheating. The last thing you want is to be perspiring as you go uphill, it'll get your base layers damp then you're adding even more clothes on to stay warm. Always focus on staying dry. Start with a jacket right out of the car, but 10-ish minutes later after slogging uphill, stow it and let your exertion warm you. No perspiring, it's a big deal in the winter.
disentangled
Trip Reports (0)

Post by disentangled »

mtree wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:38 am It ain't brain surgery. I assume you've been on this planet long enough to know what 20-30 degree temps feel like and what you need to stay warm. Dress in layers. Don't worry about the fabrics you're wearing or the brand name of them. Wind can be an issue so make sure you have something for that. And sunscreen!

For reference, I wore a cotton Wolfmother concert T, shorts, cotton sweatshirt, and a light jacket last weekend when the temps at the trailhead were below 30 degrees. It was windy. I was fine. Have fun!
spot on. i shamelessly admit that i too have cotton gear which works fabulously in winter and summer and spring and fall. cotton t-shirts, cotton leggings. yes. i admit it. shamelessly. all this lovely cotton works nicely with my hand-knitted, non-REI, not-ordered-on-the-internets, un-branded wool mittens, i might add. just wear things that are warm.