An introduction and a cautionary tale

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
AndrewLyonsGeibel
14ers: 9 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: An introduction and a cautionary tale

Post by AndrewLyonsGeibel »

Hershel wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:54 pm 'my goal is to finish climbing the remaining 14ers. Not because I want to, but because I have to'

Why do you say you have to?
That’s just the level of drive some people have to finish something. I felt the same way about an Ironman. It was tough finishing 16 months after back surgery but I did it and so can this person.
strayster2
14ers: 58 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by strayster2 »

Hershel wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:54 pm
'my goal is to finish climbing the remaining 14ers. Not because I want to, but because I have to'

There's a lot of us out here doing it that are still wondering why.

If you ever find out a good answer to this question, let the rest of us know.
Broken Knee
13ers: 28
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Broken Knee »

Hershel wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:54 pmI love this story and share, and that you are eager to stay humble. I think it's the most important attribute in terms of success on these peaks.
I don't think being humble is all that important to success on 14ers. Being able to analytically evaluate risk/benefit without ego blinding the decision is part of it, but a huge part is learning from failure and making adjustments. One of the important attributes is simply putting yourself out in the mountains many times so you can learn more about weather and conditions. Putting in the miles should also increase your fitness. Being able to move quickly on varied terrain is a major attribute. The desire to get to the top has to always be there, balanced by the ability to understand why any given day is not the right day.

Do you think Reinhold Messner's humility made him the first to summit all fourteen 8000'ers?
When life gets you down, climb!
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

Well Messner lost his Brother and all of his toes, so there's a price to pay for a lack of humility. I think he learned a bit after that. He seems like a fairly reserved guy who is graced with an incredible physiology. When I get too high I have to remind myself of Icarus.
Wish I lived in CO
Trip Reports (11)

Post by Wish I lived in CO »

Hershel wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:54 pm'my goal is to finish climbing the remaining 14ers. Not because I want to, but because I have to'

I still want to finish the 14ers, but lately it's more of an even split between still wanting to enjoy a climb just for climbing's sake and the joy it brings, and wanting finish just for the sake of finishing. I want to finish to prove to myself that I can do it, but also for others - particularly the grandkids when they get older I don't want them to learn I stopped 2 mountains short of the goal. Of course I could quit now, but I'm not going to.
I look up to the mountains - does my help come from there? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth! Psalm 121:1-2
cedica
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cedica »

justiner wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:46 am Well Messner lost his Brother and all of his toes, so there's a price to pay for a lack of humility.
Beckey's brother practically had to run away from what he perceived as unacceptable level of risk and he ended up pursuing career of opera singer. I don't believe that Fred ever strived for humility, but he managed to die of old age. His brother may still be alive, I'm not sure. Completely different approaches to self-preservation somehow yielded the same result.
KState14er
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 7 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by KState14er »

Wish I lived in CO wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:07 am
Hershel wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:54 pm'my goal is to finish climbing the remaining 14ers. Not because I want to, but because I have to'

I still want to finish the 14ers, but lately it's more of an even split between still wanting to enjoy a climb just for climbing's sake and the joy it brings, and wanting finish just for the sake of finishing. I want to finish to prove to myself that I can do it, but also for others - particularly the grandkids when they get older I don't want them to learn I stopped 2 mountains short of the goal. Of course I could quit now, but I'm not going to.
I think that happens to most people at some point. The Fourteeners are a slog and a huge time, effort, and financial commitment (gas, hotel rooms, etc.). I would say #1-20 were all a lot of fun, #21-35 started to get repetitive with all the class 2 ridge hikes, and I would say the last 15 were incredibly fun and reminded me how I felt on the first couple dozen. They get longer, more adventurous, and the hiking is more fun.
GeezerClimber
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (0)

Post by GeezerClimber »

Your dad is not the only one to make that mistake on Princeton.

Humility is a good quality if you want to climb safely. Everyone gets off route occasionally and it's easier to do on the difficult ones. Always be prepared to backtrack if you sense you are not where you are supposed to be even if it means climbing back up. Hubris kills.

Dave
Broken Knee
13ers: 28
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Broken Knee »

justiner wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:46 am Well Messner lost his Brother and all of his toes, so there's a price to pay for a lack of humility. I think he learned a bit after that.
Seven toes, I think and they were lost trying to find his (apparently avalanched) brother. I think Reinhold forgot more about climbing before Gunther's death than most of us will ever know. At the time of the Nanga Parbat disaster, all the armchair quarterbacks were critical, but his record stands for itself. Or is it more noble to exit like Jerzy?
When life gets you down, climb!
jsf80238
14ers: 26 
13ers: 64
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jsf80238 »

Great story, thanks for sharing.
Hershel
14ers: 43  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Hershel »

Broken Knee wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:59 am
Hershel wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:54 pmI love this story and share, and that you are eager to stay humble. I think it's the most important attribute in terms of success on these peaks.
I don't think being humble is all that important to success on 14ers. Being able to analytically evaluate risk/benefit without ego blinding the decision is part of it, but a huge part is learning from failure and making adjustments. One of the important attributes is simply putting yourself out in the mountains many times so you can learn more about weather and conditions. Putting in the miles should also increase your fitness. Being able to move quickly on varied terrain is a major attribute. The desire to get to the top has to always be there, balanced by the ability to understand why any given day is not the right day.

Do you think Reinhold Messner's humility made him the first to summit all fourteen 8000'ers?
Damn! A little late back to this party, but you make some great points. I'll say you don't need humility when you can blaze up and down a mountain (say the likes of Gerry Roach in his prime). Things like weather are hardly a factor when you're that fast and comfortable. But i'd argue humility is necessary if you value your life. Of course this is an entirely situational thing and depends on the hiker and the challenge they are tackling.

I just always like to remember that the mountain was there ages before me and will be here ages after me. When it comes down to mountain vs man, there is only one winner and it is always the mountain! I know my abilities and have an idea where the boundaries of my limits are. I'm just wary of being overconfident.
Every Man Dies, Not Every Man Really Lives -William Wallace