Coffee, Caffeine, My Blood, and Altitude

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
KAMO
Trip Reports (0)

Coffee, Caffeine, My Blood, and Altitude

Post by KAMO »

I am heading up my first 14er this weekend (Holy Cross) and I feel rather prepared other than this topic. Any help would be great!

I live in the Midwest (600ft elevation). I plan on being in Colorado for 4 days (Sat-Tues) and camping at East Cross Creek for the 3 nights.

I drink more than enough coffee every day, and I know I wouldnt be able to keep up those caffeine levels so I've stopped drinking coffee as of this past Sunday so that I would experience the crash before my trip (OUCH). Someone also told me that it would help my blood at altitude retain more oxygen, but this is what I'm looking to get verified.

Everywhere I look people are saying coffee is a great energy boost and stimulant and performance enhancer for these hikes and climbs, and I dont disagree. Am I putting myself through unnecessary pain of not drinking coffee this week to help my trip?

I honestly just didnt want to get a caffeine crash during my time (and I'm not a huge fan of instant or cold coffee and didnt want to pack the things I needed for warm coffee). Out of all the things for this trip...I didnt think coffee was the one topic I'd be stuck on :yawn:

THANKS!
cottonmountaineering
14ers: 58  7  18 
13ers: 180 39 31
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Coffee, Caffeine, My Blood, and Altitude

Post by cottonmountaineering »

If you are a coffee drinker, it will be a benefit to keep drinking coffee. Just drink some water as well
LarryM
14ers: 27 
13ers: 32
Trip Reports (3)

Post by LarryM »

I don't have scientific backing for this, but my experience is that caffeine is just fine at altitude - and is definitely a performance enhancer. But I live in Boulder & have never had problems at altitude, so maybe I am not the best data point for you.
12ersRule
14ers: 58 
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

No caffeine will give you a bad attitude.

No idea why you'd do that to yourself.
painless4u2
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (8)

Post by painless4u2 »

I too, am a coffee addict and had similar concerns when contemplating an upcoming stoveless multi-day hike. I've decided to just use Clif Shot Double Espresso gel packs with 100 mg caffeine. Not as satisfying as a nice, hot cup of joe, certainly, but still getting my caffeine in a small, easy to pack product. Altitude may give you headaches, and so will caffeine withdrawals. Might as well eliminate one of them!
Bad decisions often make good stories.

IPAs + Ambien = "14ers" post (Bill M.)

In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps. Proverbs 16:9
polar
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by polar »

Agree with the above. If you're a coffee drinker, you should drink coffee. I'm not aware of any evidence that says coffee affect your blood's ability to retain oxygen one way or another. That seems like total BS.

Some endurance athletes quit caffeine for a while to prep a big race, but re-start the caffeine right before the race. This supposedly give them a noticeable boost in performance. You probably won't need to do that, but if you've quit coffee already, then it may not be a bad idea to try.
"Getting to the bottom, OPTIONAL. Getting to the top, MANDATORY!" - The Wisest Trail Sign
KAMO
Trip Reports (0)

Post by KAMO »

cottonmountaineering wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:07 am If you are a coffee drinker, it will be a benefit to keep drinking coffee. Just drink some water as well
I figured as much - I'll hunt around for a few lightweight, instant coffee packs or something to keep me going that doesnt taste horrible
KAMO
Trip Reports (0)

Post by KAMO »

LarryM wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:08 am I don't have scientific backing for this, but my experience is that caffeine is just fine at altitude - and is definitely a performance enhancer. But I live in Boulder & have never had problems at altitude, so maybe I am not the best data point for you.
The person that told me is a trustworthy source, but I agree I cant find any backing or articles about it lol... I'll have to call them out maybe. I very much see and use coffee as a performance enhancer.
KAMO
Trip Reports (0)

Post by KAMO »

12ersRule wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:15 am No caffeine will give you a bad attitude.

No idea why you'd do that to yourself.
Hey! I've got a great attitude on day 3 of no caffeine. It's the headaches that I'm not a fan of...and the lack of morning wakeup call
KAMO
Trip Reports (0)

Post by KAMO »

painless4u2 wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:18 am I too, am a coffee addict and had similar concerns when contemplating an upcoming stoveless multi-day hike. I've decided to just use Clif Shot Double Espresso gel packs with 100 mg caffeine. Not as satisfying as a nice, hot cup of joe, certainly, but still getting my caffeine in a small, easy to pack product. Altitude may give you headaches, and so will caffeine withdrawals. Might as well eliminate one of them!
I've never seen those packs before - thanks for sharing. When it comes to altitude sickness, i've heard people use Ibuprofen or something like that to ease the headache. Any comments to say otherwise?
KAMO
Trip Reports (0)

Post by KAMO »

polar wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:21 am Agree with the above. If you're a coffee drinker, you should drink coffee. I'm not aware of any evidence that says coffee affect your blood's ability to retain oxygen one way or another. That seems like total BS.

Some endurance athletes quit caffeine for a while to prep a big race, but re-start the caffeine right before the race. This supposedly give them a noticeable boost in performance. You probably won't need to do that, but if you've quit coffee already, then it may not be a bad idea to try.
Can I say I was doing this all along? :-D - I was thinking that if this post convinced me that coffee was ok, I would pack some instant coffee or something.
KAMO
Trip Reports (0)

Post by KAMO »

I know it's a little off my original question, but i've been to colorado a few times a year and done 10k and 12k easier hikes- altitude never gave me a headache, but I also was never working as hard as this trip would push me. Any objections to ibuprofen if I get said headache from altitude?