Simplified Class Descriptions for Visual Learners

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
XterraRob
14ers: 42  7 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Simplified Class Descriptions for Visual Learners

Post by XterraRob »

Class 1: 1 point of contact (pogo-stickable)
Class 2: 2 points of contact (walkable)
Class 3: 3 points of contact (scrambable)
Class 4: 4 points of contact (climbable)
Class 5: 4 points of contact + rope (ropeable)
RIP - M56
Re-introduce Grizzly Bears into the Colorado Wilderness™
Jeeves042
14ers: 55 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Jeeves042 »

Don't forget about Class 2+
polar
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by polar »

XterraRob wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:35 pm Class 5: 4 points of contact + rope (ropeable)
Speak for yourself. I maintain 5 points of contact on class 5.
"Getting to the bottom, OPTIONAL. Getting to the top, MANDATORY!" - The Wisest Trail Sign
AlexeyD
14ers: 44  4  2 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by AlexeyD »

montanahiker wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:29 pm If a CO Class 4 is the same as a CA Class 3, what is a CA Class 4? Do we start Class 5 at a different difficulty level?
Well, the term "5.4th class" did originate in the Sierra...

In seriousness though, not, not really. As I wrote in an earlier comment, I think it's more that 3rd and 4th class may have a broader interpretation in CA than they do in CO.

Now what Montana Class 4 means, I shudder to think...have yet to find that out!
daway8
14ers: 58  24 
13ers: 155 29
Trip Reports (70)

Post by daway8 »

XterraRob wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:35 pm Class 1: 1 point of contact (pogo-stickable)
Class 2: 2 points of contact (walkable)
Class 3: 3 points of contact (scrambable)
Class 4: 4 points of contact (climbable)
Class 5: 4 points of contact + rope (ropeable)
Nice... =D> Now you just need the illustrations to go with it... :lol: (Though I agree with polar that you should list class 5 as 5 points so it keeps the sequence going)
letitbeirie
14ers: 16 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by letitbeirie »

I like to use routes with controversial ratings to sort of establish boundaries between the classes - if it's harder than ____, it's probably class ___.

Personally, I usually compare any route I'm doing that's on the border between class 4 scrambling / 5.easy climbing to Freeway on the Second Flatiron:

Powhound posted a good pic the other day in the thread talking about the dihedral crossover on Crestone Needle - it seemed like opinions were about evenly split between class 3/4:

As far as deciding between the others:

Class 2/3: Could you carry a coin in each hand without putting them down for the entire route? Probably class 2.

Class 1/2: Are you hiking on a trail? Class 1.
XterraRob
14ers: 42  7 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (4)

Post by XterraRob »

daway8 wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:58 pm
XterraRob wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:35 pm Class 5: 4 points of contact + rope (ropeable)
Nice... =D> Now you just need the illustrations to go with it... :lol: (Though I agree with polar that you should list class 5 as 5 points so it keeps the sequence going)
It's there to drive OCD-prone individuals into a frenzy.
RIP - M56
Re-introduce Grizzly Bears into the Colorado Wilderness™
Broken Knee
13ers: 28
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Broken Knee »

polar wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:20 pmSpeak for yourself. I maintain 5 points of contact on class 5.
There you go, making it all about you.
AlexeyD wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:16 pmNow what Montana Class 4 means, I shudder to think...have yet to find that out!
If a bear is chasing you on Colorado class 3, that qualifies as Montana class 4.
When life gets you down, climb!
daway8
Trip Reports (70)

Post by daway8 »

XterraRob wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:36 pm
daway8 wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:58 pm
It's there to drive OCD-prone individuals into a frenzy.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
daway8
Trip Reports (70)

Post by daway8 »

letitbeirie wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:04 pm I like to use routes with controversial ratings to sort of establish boundaries between the classes - if it's harder than ____, it's probably class ___.
That's what I was basically trying to do a little ways above with my comments about the ending segments on Pyramid and Crestone Needle but no one seemed to want to bite - it seems these boundaries are just so blurry that it's 50% definition and 50% personal preference as to whether or not you classify a disputable route as say 3 or 4.
LetsGoMets
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 132 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by LetsGoMets »

Easy California Class 3. Mount Muir summit block.

https://www.summitpost.org/mt-muir-3rd- ... ute/364878
719BR
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 719BR »

when i said heavy, i guess that was a poor choice of words. the general idea is that a route in colorado would be graded about one grade higher than in california. for example, the following routes (which i've done personally) are all graded class 2 according to this site:

LiCamBro - this would be class 1 in California

Democrat - this *might* be class 2 in California - it's been a while since I've done it, but I seem to remember the route up to Democrat was a bit talus-ier than the rest. Or maybe that was the snow making it slick.

Huron - Class 1 in California. I don't recall any difficulties at all.

Culebra - Class 1 in California.

Princeton - Class 1 in California. *Maybe* class 2 if you got off route on some of the talus.

Torreys - to be fair, I did kelso ridge on the way up, then linked it up with Grays. but looking at the main trail on the way down, it looked pretty straightforward. Probably class 1 in Cali.

Massive - this is maybe class 2 in California. *Maybe*. And it's listed as one of the more challenging class 2 routes here.

To be fair, there are other routes that are graded as they would be graded in California. Example, Sneffels south slopes. the spirit is that the grade is the grade of the crux move. the crux on sneffels is class 3, and it would graded class 3 in california as well. Same goes for Kelso Ridge, it's a true class 3 scramble, and when people from California ask me about it, people who know about the grading difference, i make sure i tell them kelso is legit california class 3 so they know what to expect.