Having to "go" on the trail

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Having to "go" on the trail

Post by mtree »

stephakett wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:30 am pro tip: pack out your @#$&*ng toilet paper i am so sick of finding wads in the woods. ](*,)
Probably the best advice of all...ladies.
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
glenmiz
14ers: 58 
13ers: 121 1 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by glenmiz »

If you're a real stud, Reliance Luggable Loo

https://www.rei.com/product/876179/reli ... YQQAvD_BwE

WAG bag for the rest of us.

https://www.rei.com/product/662978/clea ... 6oQAvD_BwE
Aim high to end high
boudreaux
14ers: 57 
13ers: 113
Trip Reports (11)

Post by boudreaux »

I'm a little shy :lol: , so I usually find a depression or dip in the slope and get in there and do my bidness! But, any large rock will do.
Ragin Cajun
cougar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 135 2
Trip Reports (10)

Post by cougar »

lots of words of whizzdom in this thread
http://www.listsofjohn.com/m/cougar

"If we don't change direction, we'll end up where we're going."
"Bushwhacking is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get."
"Don't give up on your dreams, stay asleep"
kbmiller
14ers: 29 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kbmiller »

Buy the book
How To.png
How To.png (737.47 KiB) Viewed 3311 times
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

I've actually perfected the art of staying just dehydrated enough where I still feel good but don't have to go too often, then just rehydrate later. It's nice cause it keeps my pack light. 16 oz of water for every 4 hours.
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

Most 14er hikes have three parts- woods, tundra, rocky talus. Woods and rocks usually have secluded areas. Tundra is mostly open.
MOworkCOplay
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MOworkCOplay »

I work with a guy who’s hiked several and we were talking about this the other day. I was talking about bringing a pancho and he said I could probably use that to cover me if I needed to “go” above treeline. I thought it was genius!

I’m a girl so I can’t just go off and admire the view and be oblivious. I figure people will know when a girl has to go, but at least I can fan out the pancho for a little privacy.
nmjameswilson
14ers: 58 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nmjameswilson »

I went on a 13 peak climb a couple weeks ago and saw a lot of different approaches. Guys just go off train a little. Woman always go off trail a lot and try to hide ... just ignore and let them do their thing.
nunns
14ers: 43 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nunns »

MOworkCOplay wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:44 pm I work with a guy who’s hiked several and we were talking about this the other day. I was talking about bringing a pancho and he said I could probably use that to cover me if I needed to “go” above treeline. I thought it was genius!

I’m a girl so I can’t just go off and admire the view and be oblivious. I figure people will know when a girl has to go, but at least I can fan out the pancho for a little privacy.
LOVE that screen name.

Sean Nunn
Raytown, MO
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains." --Psalms 36:6
Ptglhs
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 86 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ptglhs »

If you need to go, then go. Everyone (almost everyone) poops. Minimize the damage to the ecosystem through placement, use of catholes, and pack out your TP if you use any.

There's not much to be gained by modesty or embarrassment about a basic function of life. Desiring privacy in an open public space is an odd juxtaposition.
Last edited by Ptglhs on Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
forbins_mtn
14ers: 28  2 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (5)

Post by forbins_mtn »

Passed an older (60-70s) gentleman on the way down Longs yesterday who dropped trou and was taking a dump literally six inches off the trail. I laid eyes on the lumber and everything. I kept going but made sure he had a bag to pack that out.

If you’re on here, dude: why didn’t you just walk ten feet behind a bush or tree!!?!? For f*^#’s sake, man!