Leadville In August

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Blamo
14ers: 3 
Trip Reports (1)

Leadville In August

Post by Blamo »

Hey everyone. For the third year in a row now I will be spending a week in Colorado hiking and for the third year in a row I come to this forum with a few questions. Not so many as in the past; I finally don't feel like such a newbie anymore, at least when it comes to the basics.

Anyways I will be staying in Leadville this year and the plan is to hike Sherman via the Iowa Gulch trail and then Elbert via the NE ridge route. Regarding Mt. Sherman - I notice the exposure is listed as 'moderate'. The two I have done thus far (Bierstadt & Quandary) are listed as low. I realize that is difficult to quantify, but I am wondering if anyone could shed some light on it. The trip reports I have read don't mention any issues with it but as a flatlander I just want to make sure I am prepared.

Also any restaurant recommendations in the Leadville area would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Will_E
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 215 37
Trip Reports (21)

Re: Leadville In August

Post by Will_E »

Blamo wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:14 pm Hey everyone. For the third year in a row now I will be spending a week in Colorado hiking and for the third year in a row I come to this forum with a few questions. Not so many as in the past; I finally don't feel like such a newbie anymore, at least when it comes to the basics.

Anyways I will be staying in Leadville this year and the plan is to hike Sherman via the Iowa Gulch trail and then Elbert via the NE ridge route. Regarding Mt. Sherman - I notice the exposure is listed as 'moderate'. The two I have done thus far (Bierstadt & Quandary) are listed as low. I realize that is difficult to quantify, but I am wondering if anyone could shed some light on it. The trip reports I have read don't mention any issues with it but as a flatlander I just want to make sure I am prepared.

Also any restaurant recommendations in the Leadville area would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Sherman is among the easiest out there, not much real danger. You’ll be fine.
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

I presume you have your lodgings already. Several big races there that month suck them all up. And you have to plan your access to mountains around race paths.
Ptglhs
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 86 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ptglhs »

Sherman is the 2nd easiest 14er imo. The exposure is trivial, so long as you don't wear a blindfold you'll be fine. There aren't any great restaurants in Leadville: Tennesse Pass is okay but expensive, Sanchez' is probably the best bet for dinner, or high mountain pies if you don't like Mexican food. Golden Burro is only breakfast/lunch and Quincy's has a VERY limited menu (like one or two items per day).
Blamo
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Blamo »

peter303 wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:49 pm I presume you have your lodgings already. Several big races there that month suck them all up. And you have to plan your access to mountains around race paths.
Yup - I am actually staying in Breck the first two nights for that very reason.
Blamo
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Blamo »

Ptglhs wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:20 pm Sherman is the 2nd easiest 14er imo. The exposure is trivial, so long as you don't wear a blindfold you'll be fine. There aren't any great restaurants in Leadville: Tennesse Pass is okay but expensive, Sanchez' is probably the best bet for dinner, or high mountain pies if you don't like Mexican food. Golden Burro is only breakfast/lunch and Quincy's has a VERY limited menu (like one or two items per day).
Thanks!

Yeah that's the impression I got about Sherman from the trip reports. I just noticed that moderate rating and thought I would ask.
RhodoRose
14ers: 58 
13ers: 11 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by RhodoRose »

There's not much in the way of exposure, but the Iowa Gulch route is a major scree-fest. Hiking poles a must, microspikes can also really help to keep from slipping on that crap.
But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3: 13-14
arianna2
14ers: 58 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (45)

Post by arianna2 »

Ptglhs wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:20 pm Sherman is the 2nd easiest 14er imo. The exposure is trivial, so long as you don't wear a blindfold you'll be fine. There aren't any great restaurants in Leadville: Tennesse Pass is okay but expensive, Sanchez' is probably the best bet for dinner, or high mountain pies if you don't like Mexican food. Golden Burro is only breakfast/lunch and Quincy's has a VERY limited menu (like one or two items per day).
I would agree pretty much. Tennesse Pass is worth a try but can get very busy so eating early is recommended unless you don't mind waiting. I would check the Leadville site on what race or event might be jamming up the town. You might want to just go to Safeway and buy some food! Golden Burro is great but they are often understaffed and quite busy after 8am. Treeline is pretty good but often reservations are needed and if I remember right, a little pricey. You can eat outside on the rooftop though and that would be cool.
summitrunner
14ers: 18 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by summitrunner »

Ptglhs wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:20 pm There aren't any great restaurants in Leadville: Tennesse Pass is okay but expensive, Sanchez' is probably the best bet for dinner, or high mountain pies if you don't like Mexican food. Golden Burro is only breakfast/lunch and Quincy's has a VERY limited menu (like one or two items per day).
Treeline Kitchen is on par with Summit and Eagle dining. Great drinks and food. The rooftop deck is incredible. Casa Sanchez is hit or miss. I would go to Treeline over Casa Sanchez for dinner every night unless you're craving slightly average Mexican food that may or may not make your next day's hike challenging. High Mountain Pies is great for pizza and sandwiches. Go to City on a Hill for coffee and breakfast or a quick lunch wrap. New Cuban joint for breakfast and lunch in town but haven't tried it yet. Tennessee Pass Cafe is the closest thing we have to a sports bar...could be slow but might be great. Dive bars in town might serve food but would just drink PBRs in a can and not eat. Pasttime has pretty good burgers. Wild Bills is open again with high end fast food burgers and such.
"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." PRE
Harrison
14ers: 24 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Harrison »

I'll be in Leadville at the start of August. Let me know if you'd like to hike together. I've been looking at Sherman via Iowa Gulch myself.

As for food, I'm a fan of High Mountain Pie (pizza). We usually cook at campsite, but if we're eating in town, that's usually where we end up. Nice patio area where you can stare down the Sawatch Range while downing a pizza and a beer.
Tony1
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 261 11 5
Trip Reports (31)

Post by Tony1 »

Golden Burro is closed and for sale (good riddance), but I'll throw in a recommendation for Melt. It's that burger truck on the south end of town. Good stuff!
719BR
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 719BR »

another vote for high mountain pies. i'll add periodic brewing as well. and quincey's is not that bad, as long as you realize that you're getting a decent (not great) steak for a pretty fair price.i wouldn't take a date there to impress her, but it's not a bad post-hike meal if you're just in the mood for a slab of meat.